{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grimsby Town - new manager appointed

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Grimsby Town - new manager appointed

Postby Im not the real OND » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Poor old Sol :lol:
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Now are sure it's not Mr Jelly and not Mr Jolly. We all know he's a one handed children hater ....
stag324
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:12 pm

we quickly identified the need to move away from the classic “managerial merry go round” appointment

Crikey their media and press team is so amateurish, its like one of our stags net lot writing official articles, so unprofessional. Id love them to go back down.

Also his managerial record in Sweden was P 18 W4 D4 L10..... great appointment and really puts into perspective how far we've come that were not appointing these unheard of Paul cox types anymore and are attracting league known managers.
Sedgwick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 88BenM » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:28 am

Sedgwick wrote:we quickly identified the need to move away from the classic “managerial merry go round” appointment

Crikey their media and press team is so amateurish, its like one of our stags net lot writing official articles, so unprofessional. Id love them to go back down.

Also his managerial record in Sweden was P 18 W4 D4 L10..... great appointment and really puts into perspective how far we've come that were not appointing these unheard of Paul cox types anymore and are attracting league known managers.

Yeah, the Paul Cox type was disastrous for us....

1st Season 3rd Conference
2nd Season 1st Conference
3rd Season 11th League 2.....which is our highest league finish since 2004.
88BenM
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:54 am

A very brave appointment by Grimsby bearing in mind their position. My main concern would be whether Mr Jolly knows the teams and players in League 2 well enough. The transfer window is also firmly closed so he has to find the best system and tactics to get the best out of the players he has but he has not got much time to experiment. He needs to hit the ground running.

Who was the last successful League 1 or League 2 manager who had coached overseas? Gary Johnson coached Latvia before taking over at Yeovil in the Conference Premier.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:13 pm

I've got a feeling they would have been better off with Dom.

What an abstract appointment.

The worst of this is that it could save those from the dark side.
Flip, flop & fly, Mansfield till I die.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:A very brave appointment by Grimsby bearing in mind their position. My main concern would be whether Mr Jolly knows the teams and players in League 2 well enough. The transfer window is also firmly closed so he has to find the best system and tactics to get the best out of the players he has but he has not got much time to experiment. He needs to hit the ground running.

Who was the last successful League 1 or League 2 manager who had coached overseas? Gary Johnson coached Latvia before taking over at Yeovil in the Conference Premier.

Steve Evans had a brief stint in Dubai :D (approx one hour)
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Jolley comes with a historical sex offence to his name too, which will follow him round and you know what opposition fans are like.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:10 pm

A very strange appointment, I can assume he was bargain basement. According to Wiki his win rate is 22% at his previous club in Sweden. Hardly setting the world on fire. Prior to this managed Burnleys under 23's and some Scottish university side. Grimsbys football league status could depend on this guy.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:35 pm

I wouldn’t miss them if they went down again.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:54 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I wouldn’t miss them if they went down again.

It could come down to them or the molesters though belly, no choice I know, I just wish they had someone with a better track record, got the "new manager bounce" and made it one more the cheats couldn't catch.
Flip, flop & fly, Mansfield till I die.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:28 pm

The One wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:A very brave appointment by Grimsby bearing in mind their position. My main concern would be whether Mr Jolly knows the teams and players in League 2 well enough. The transfer window is also firmly closed so he has to find the best system and tactics to get the best out of the players he has but he has not got much time to experiment. He needs to hit the ground running.

Steve Evans had a brief stint in Dubai :D (approx one hour)

Yep but got Dubai City promoted within 45 minutes and then quit for a new challenge. 96 promotions and counting.
ST4GS
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Big yella wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I wouldn’t miss them if they went down again.

It could come down to them or the molesters though belly, no choice I know, I just wish they had someone with a better track record, got the "new manager bounce" and made it one more the cheats couldn't catch.

There is a possibility that it could be both. Barnet picked up.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:19 pm

1-0 down after 3 minutes of his first game
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby nickrobo60 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:07 pm

He's not in charge for this game.
nickrobo60
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:32 pm

Grimsby are 2-0 down. They are dropping like a stone.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Grimsby are 2-0 down. They are dropping like a stone.

Mr Jolly must see the job as something of a poisoned chalice
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:16 pm

88BenM wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:we quickly identified the need to move away from the classic “managerial merry go round” appointment

Mickey Mouse league counts for nothing, its a poor standard and records and stats from our time there don't count towards anything, he was cack in the league and quickly got found out. For Grimsby its the same type of appointment and they will sink like a stone.
Sedgwick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
88BenM wrote:

Mickey Mouse league counts for nothing, its a poor standard and records and stats from our time there don't count towards anything, he was cack in the league and quickly got found out. For Grimsby its the same type of appointment and they will sink like a stone.

we could still be there if it wasn't for coxy..

you sound like a Swindon fan or Luton fan describing league 2
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 pm

If they haven't already nicknamed him "roger" over on the fishy somebody have a word.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Foxy wrote:If they haven't already nicknamed him "roger" over on the fishy somebody have a word.

Roger Jolley, don't get it Foxy.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:28 pm

I see Cotterill has been sacked by Brum. Had they done that last week I wonder if we might have seen him here, Martin would have loved that!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:44 pm

This lot will keep the spireites in the Football League, mark my words. They'll join the long line of safe at Xmas, dead by May Day lead weight clubs.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Rob wrote:I see Cotterill has been sacked by Brum. Had they done that last week I wonder if we might have seen him here, Martin would have loved that!

ha ha. Actually I don't think we would. Focus was on getting someone up to speed on league two who could hit the ground running with 12 massive games left.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:I see Cotterill has been sacked by Brum. Had they done that last week I wonder if we might have seen him here, Martin would have loved that!

ha ha. Actually I don't think we would. Focus was on getting someone up to speed on league two who could hit the ground running with 12 massive games left.

I know, but couldn't resist. I'm happy with Flitcroft, a good choice I think.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum