{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Football books

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Football books

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:41 am

Anyone recommend a good read around the pool ?? Thanks
User avatar
Billy the fish
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Football books

Postby ParisStag » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:02 am

A Season With Verona by Tim Parks is the best football book I've ever read. Englishman travels home and away with the ultras of Helas Verona as they try to stay in Serie A and documents each game with plenty of insight into Italian culture and football. Verona are called the 'gialloblu', which means yellow and blues!
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3591
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Football books

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:25 am

ParisStag wrote:A Season With Verona by Tim Parks is the best football book I've ever read. Englishman travels home and away with the ultras of Helas Verona as they try to stay in Serie A and documents each game with plenty of insight into Italian culture and football. Verona are called the 'gialloblu', which means yellow and blues!


Cheers paris will try and find it ..
User avatar
Billy the fish
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Football books

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:28 am

George Cohen ain't bad. Lots of interesting stuff but my favourite and the best player of all time is Stanley Matthews book wow some great stories.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Football books

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:31 am

ParisStag wrote:A Season With Verona by Tim Parks is the best football book I've ever read. Englishman travels home and away with the ultras of Helas Verona as they try to stay in Serie A and documents each game with plenty of insight into Italian culture and football. Verona are called the 'gialloblu', which means yellow and blues!


Good book. The description of the Verona/Venice derby had me in tears. Verona fans carrying banners saying "Magnagatti Vaffanculo" (Cat Eaters F*** Off!).
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3052
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Football books

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:49 am

Have you read Journeyman by Ben Smith? The chapters on Steve Evans' time at Crawley are brilliant.

Michael Calvin's football books are excellent - The Nowhere Men (football scouts), Living On A Volcano (football managers) and No Hunger In Paradise (youth development).

The Secret Footballer books are also good holiday reading.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3052
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Football books

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:49 am

Billy the fish wrote:Anyone recommend a good read around the pool ?? Thanks


Jamie Vardy's biography, brilliant read.
User avatar
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Football books

Postby Wilfred » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:55 am

A few years old now but "The Beautiful Game" by David Conn is the best football book I've ever read. Highly recommended.
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
User avatar
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Re: Football books

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Meat pies and Microphones - the Adventures of a Football Reporter, by Simon Mapletoft (Chad's Sports Reporter for many years)
Edders
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4669
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: North Notts

Re: Football books

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Fever Pitch is a classic, jeff stellings "jellymans thrown a wobbler" and Paul Hollands book are both great too
PYHBO! Episode 2 out Already! Want one?

twitter.com/SatiricalStag
User avatar
HitchcocksShins
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 am

Re: Football books

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Have you read Journeyman by Ben Smith? The chapters on Steve Evans' time at Crawley are brilliant.

It's rare for me to read long sections of a book without putting it down. I did with that book. Outstanding.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14701
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Football books

Postby Big yella » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
ParisStag wrote:A Season With Verona by Tim Parks is the best football book I've ever read. Englishman travels home and away with the ultras of Helas Verona as they try to stay in Serie A and documents each game with plenty of insight into Italian culture and football. Verona are called the 'gialloblu', which means yellow and blues!


Cheers paris will try and find it ..

I loved it too. An excellent read.
Who needs a Dutchman, when we've got Holland.
User avatar
Big yella
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2968
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Football books

Postby london amber stag » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Journeyman is a great read. Read in a single sitting as Martin says, very informative about what makes Evans tick!
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
User avatar
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: Bromley Kent

Re: Football books

Postby jimdadstag » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:Anyone recommend a good read around the pool ?? Thanks


Jamie Vardy's biography, brilliant read.

Do you get crayons with it?
Its only my opinion,deal with it!
jimdadstag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Football books

Postby TBS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:47 am

Hello Billy - I've enjoyed the books I've read so far this year -

Harry Redknapp - wasn't really a fan of him, but it's a great read, as is Alex Fergusons Leading. Howard Webbs book is really good & gives a decent perspective from the side of the officials & the divisions within the referees.

The best though was Curtis Woodhouses Box To Box about his football & boxing careers. Very honest & funny.

Jamie Vardys is good too.
Don`t be fooled by imitation
This is the stuff that cured a nation...
User avatar
TBS
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:55 am
Location: Next to the kettle.

Re: Football books

Postby Sheffieldstag » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 am

Alex Ferguson's was good but I'd go with Journeyman, Ben Smith. Really good book into the life of a lower league footballer and what managers are really like.
User avatar
Sheffieldstag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:18 am

Re: Football books

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:02 am

I'm looking forward to next years " Big Al and Kevs road to the Conference"
BoughtonStag71
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 9:27 am

Re: Football books

Postby spanishstag » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:32 am

One of the best books i read was by the notts evening post reporter david mcvay ,called steak diane ,i think about his time as a player at notts county ,dont know if its because i lived in nottingham then and could relate to the places he mentioned but it was really a fantastic book it had me in tears at times
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: Football books

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:26 am

TBS wrote:Hello Billy - I've enjoyed the books I've read so far this year -

Harry Redknapp - wasn't really a fan of him, but it's a great read, as is Alex Fergusons Leading. Howard Webbs book is really good & gives a decent perspective from the side of the officials & the divisions within the referees.

The best though was Curtis Woodhouses Box To Box about his football & boxing careers. Very honest & funny.

Jamie Vardys is good too.


I enjoyed Harry Redknapp's books as well. Harry does tell a great story. His interviews with Graham Hunter are excellent.

I am also currently reading Howard Webb's book. It's the first book from a ref I have read and it is a good read. I never realized how much some of the Premier League refs hated each other particularly Graham Poll and Jeff Winter (The Red Wine Club v The Northerners).
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3052
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Football books

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am

I really like journeyman but its just a list of scores in the main with a few funny anecdotes along the way. Really easy read. Youll be done in a few days.

Secret footballer stories are excellent. The damned united is amazing, but if youve seen the film then no need to read.

A really great book that tops my list is My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes by gary imlach, who is from west bridgford. Imlach is now itvs tour de france commentator and his dad was Stewart imlach.
It is sons perspective on his fathers unsuccessful career. Very well written. . Its as also an excellent social commentary about Nottingham in the 50s. I laughed out loud and almost cried.

Everyone should read this book.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Football books

Postby jeevesthestag » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:06 am

Johnny Cooper, Championship Manager. It chronicles a fictional year being the manager of Mansfield Town on Championship Manager. Not the most well-written book but it's an easy holiday read and Stags related.
jeevesthestag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Football books

Postby jeevesthestag » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:07 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:I really like journeyman but its just a list of scores in the main with a few funny anecdotes along the way. Really easy read. Youll be done in a few days.

Secret footballer stories are excellent. The damned united is amazing, but if youve seen the film then no need to read.

A really great book that tops my list is My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes by gary imlach, who is from west bridgford. Imlach is now itvs tour de france commentator and his dad was Stewart imlach.
It is sons perspective on his fathers unsuccessful career. Very well written. . Its as also an excellent social commentary about Nottingham in the 50s. I laughed out loud and almost cried.

Everyone should read this book.


I'd second this book, it's an excellent read.
jeevesthestag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Football books

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:11 am

One book I really enjoyed reading this year which had been on my shelf for years was "Tackling My Demons" by Stan Collymore. A very very honest account of a footballer with serious mental health problems, borderline personality disorder, depression, sex addict and a very unhealthy relationship with Ulrika Jonsson.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3052
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Football books

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:One book I really enjoyed reading this year which had been on my shelf for years was "Tackling My Demons" by Stan Collymore. A very very honest account of a footballer with serious mental health problems, borderline personality disorder, depression, sex addict and a very unhealthy relationship with Ulrika Jonsson.


Dont usually like footballer biographies. But stan is clearly very clever and an 'interesting' bloke. Id like to read this. Wonder if he mentions getting caught dogging in blidworth and clumber park.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Football books

Postby AmberSamba » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:33 pm

I'd also recommend A Season with Verona - a brilliant insight into Italian football and society in general. If Spanish football is more your thing then Morbo is a fantastic introduction. My favourite football autobiography has to be Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino. He's incredibly honest when talking about the pressures of the game and his insecurity. Finally, if you want something superbly written and easy to read that will restore your love of the beautiful game then you'll struggle to beat Saturday, 3pm: 50 Eternal Delights of Modern Football.
AmberSamba
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:40 pm

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ironbru, m1cksut, oldnic, Stagsfan11, Tippy Tappy Football and 16 guests