{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Football books

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Football books

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:35 am

Im currently working through Simon Jordan the ex palace owners book "Be careful what you wish for"

Its a fascinating read so far.
What a character.

The other good reads ive had recently were
Alex Higgins My Story
He paid more in fines than he won in prize money !!
Paul Merson "How not to be a professional"
He blew his whole PFA pension in one weekend !!

2 brilliant reads.
Last edited by Captain Cunno on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi thanks for all the feedback and taking the time to post I have plumped for A season with Verona and Journeyman to which I'm now awaiting delivery ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Hi thanks for all the feedback and taking the time to post I have plumped for A season with Verona and Journeyman to which I'm now awaiting delivery ..

2 Great choices
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby skeglad » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Try The Tony Ford Story good read
There Their They're
skeglad
First Team
First Team

Postby Waggy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Provided you don't kiss me: 20 years with Brian Clough
Duncan Hamilton from NEP

Also, by the same author if you like cricket:

Harold Larwood

All Played Out
Pete Davies
Story of Italia 90
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chacawab » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Hi thanks for all the feedback and taking the time to post I have plumped for A season with Verona and Journeyman to which I'm now awaiting delivery ..

Thanks BtF for asking the question. They're the two books I'm going for to read whilst sinking a few beers by the pool :)
Chacawab
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:20 pm

I've read Jorneyman already. Downloaded 'nowhere men' as a result of this thread.

Just reading Chris Eubank's autobiography first, which is superb
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Also recently finished "Perry Boys" really good insight into the rise in the Salford gangs of the late 70s, their rivalries with Liverpool lot and the "casual" trend that emerged including the fashion element of it all which Cunno you might enjoy with your 600 pair of addidas trainers!
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:20 pm

A bit old but,

Inverting the Pyramid, The History of Football Tactics, by Jonathan Wilson

&

Why England Lose & other curious football phenomena explained, by Simon Kuper & Stefan Szymanski
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby trenty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Sam Allardyce he was years in front for sports science a great read
Paul Casgoine utter nutter
Brian Clough
Jamie Vardy
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby my name is jonas » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:36 pm

Chris Hargreaves who played around the lower leagues' book is a good one, good insight for a player doing the rounds and playing for a number of clubs. Some funny stories in it.

Paul lake ex man city player has a good book, had a lot of bad luck with injuries and follows all of that in depth.

Matt Le Tissiers is a nice easy read too and pretty funny at times and Paul mersons book is pretty mad when think about what he was getting up too on a daily basis as a professional footballer
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:07 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Also recently finished "Perry Boys" really good insight into the rise in the Salford gangs of the late 70s, their rivalries with Liverpool lot and the "casual" trend that emerged including the fashion element of it all which Cunno you might enjoy with your 600 pair of addidas trainers!

:lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:35 am

For those that remember him, Malcolm Allison's autobiography, Big Mal: The High Life and Hard Times of Malcolm Allison, Football Legend, is a good read.
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tawnystag » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:14 am

Whoever recommended 'The Journeyman' thank you. Great read, and what an incredible insight into SE and his completely bizarre personality.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:37 am

Currently Three quarters through Journeyman and a excellent read. A paragraph in the book got me thinking and refers to Paul ince manager of Macclesfield field at the time and touted to go on to better things, the player in question was up for transfer and had offers from several clubs and Ince was trying to convince him to join MTFC but the players main concern what if Ince moves on with being a big name ? Hence the player never signed and Ince did move on to MK dons . Could this be the mindset of the strikers Evans is chasing ???
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:35 am

Tawnystag wrote:Whoever recommended 'The Journeyman' thank you. Great read, and what an incredible insight into SE and his completely bizarre personality.

yep it really is. I can't help but think that Macdonald is getting the treatment at the moment...

The Simon Jordan "Be Careful What You Wish For" is also a good read. Especially if you want to know how to blow £30 million on a football club...
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:56 pm

Thought I'd resurrect this thread.

I've just read 'Out of the Darkness' by Matty Piper.

It's a story of him and his turbulent life. It's about a young man and The football career that he was cruelly denied that sent him on a path of addiction a mental illness, which he lays quite bare at times.

The book has a lot about his formative years and as a rising star. He dedicated a chapter to Mansfield where he states his happiest times as a pro footballer were his 8 amazing games for Mansfield.

He tells some great stories within the book about football managers, team mates and humourous little snippets.

This book won't win awards and it's not incredibly written, but it doesn't need to be. It's one man's brutally honest tale from long way back of being spat out by the football machine.

If you need a stocking filler. Would advise it. 4 out of 5 stars.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:04 pm

I'm still recovering from paying £11 to read Drewe Broughton's psychobabble.

I also bought Graham Coughlan's book about his times as a player at Plymouth but have not read it yet. I was hoping to get him to sign it but he's now left during the lockdown.

I have not read a football book this year which is very rare for me. The last one I read was Michael Calvin's book about Millwall's 2009-2010 season "Family: Life, Death and Football". I have read most of his books including Nowhere Men (Scouts), Living On A Volcano (Managers) and No Hunger In Paradise (Academies/Youth Team players). They are very good.

I have got Michael Calvin's State of Play and Nobby Stiles' book "After The Ball" so I might read one of those over Christmas; or I could read Kevin Keegan's book which my wife bought me last Christmas. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:23 am

KirkbyStag2 wrote:A bit old but,

Inverting the Pyramid, The History of Football Tactics, by Jonathan Wilson

&

Why England Lose & other curious football phenomena explained, by Simon Kuper & Stefan Szymanski

Simon Kuper's Football against the enemy is excellent. Very old but great
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:11 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby julianshatnasty » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:20 am

Have there ever been any updates of MTFC books such as Who's Who or Complete History? They must be 25 years old now and ready for new editions?
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:12 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:Have there ever been any updates of MTFC books such as Who's Who or Complete History? They must be 25 years old now and ready for new editions?

Closest we had was probably the "end of an era" book about the conference years.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Mansfield Town: The First 100 Years ends at 1996-1997 so could do with an update. 125 years?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Mr Unbelievable , Chris Kamara . A lot of what you would expect from sky punditry but there is another side to him that you would not expect .

OOH AHH Stantona . Football and Falklands stories . Loved the bit where he finally settled down with his family in his missus's dream home in Nottingham while playing for counteh. Then gets sold to a team way down south so he sells the house while his wife is away on holiday .The deal then falls through and he ends up signing for the stags , about 30 minutes drive from the house he has just sold.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Beyond The Pale wrote:Hello Billy - I've enjoyed the books I've read so far this year -

Harry Redknapp - wasn't really a fan of him, but it's a great read, as is Alex Fergusons Leading. Howard Webbs book is really good & gives a decent perspective from the side of the officials & the divisions within the referees.

The best though was Curtis Woodhouses Box To Box about his football & boxing careers. Very honest & funny.

Jamie Vardys is good too.

Yeah Harry Redknapp, Brian Clough, are great reads
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum