{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About Chesterfield

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:45 am

90 minutes away from the pit of misery.......

Dilley Dilley
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:17 am

Let's hope so! Still can't rule out Grimsby their run in is awful.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby manssmooth » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:25 am

Another vote here for the prolific COG, and by god doesn't Zippy boy/ slack lester look nervous in that interview :lol: :lol:

:coys:
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chris M » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:37 am

Had a quick look at their message board earlier. Many of them now accept relegation as certain now. While not necessarily expecting an immediate promotion the general feeling is they won't be playing at that level for long. They have no comprehension at all what awaits them next season. I was just thinking back to our time down there and trying to list the pros and cons of life outside the football league.

The bad bits:

1. Any current players with a modicum of skill will clock out at the earliest opportunity to continue their League career elsewhere. If they think that their best players will hang around to make right the mistakes of this season, forget it.
2. Income from travelling supporters at the Prollapse Stadium will plummet.
3. Any parachute payments will disappear if promotion is not achieved in the next couple of years.
4. National and in our case, local media will rarely if ever, mention you.
5. Merchandise sales will fall rapidly. Who would want to be seen in shirt of a team just relegated?
6. Promotion from the National League is never a forgone conclusion.
7. Visiting crumbling football grounds that you wonder how they got a safety certificate.

The good bits:

1. Most National teams welcome away support to their social clubs appreciating the extra income.
2. You get to visit towns and villages around the country you never realised even had a football team.

Struggling to think of any more good bits.

Have I missed anything, good or bad?
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:05 am

Chris M wrote:Had a quick look at their message board earlier. Many of them now accept relegation as certain now. While not necessarily expecting an immediate promotion the general feeling is they won't be playing at that level for long. They have no comprehension at all what awaits them next season. I was just thinking back to our time down there and trying to list the pros and cons of life outside the football league.

The bad bits:

1. Any current players with a modicum of skill will clock out at the earliest opportunity to continue their League career elsewhere. If they think that their best players will hang around to make right the mistakes of this season, forget it.
3. Any parachute payments will disappear if promotion is not achieved in the next couple of years.
5. Merchandise sales will fall rapidly. Who would want to be seen in shirt of a team just relegated?
7. Visiting crumbling football grounds that you wonder how they got a safety certificate.

The good bits:

1. Most National teams welcome away support to their social clubs appreciating the extra income.
2. You get to visit towns and villages around the country you never realised even had a football team.

Christ mate, you haven't even scratched the surface of the bad bits.

League organisation - e.g. fax machines, potential big fixtures moved to midweek, club fined for manager wearing wrong training top. Points deductions for farting, Having to qualify for FA cup, match day officials from hell. The FA trophy (when you think, the checkatrade is bad, cast your minds back to this gem)

Opposition clubs - reporting you to league for wearing wrong training top, being attacked in dressing room, single figure travelling support (actually costs money to open away end) prepare to be kicked all over park by standard of football, you are actually a big scalp to some so prepare for some "cup finals" with tackles to match.

Again I've also barely scratched the surface,

In summary it's crap
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:54 am

They see the parallels with out relegation season and we can tell them it gets worse from here. They think relegation from the league is rock bottom, as we found out it’s only the start of the journey. Being locked out the ground and close to going out of business were probably the lowest we got, they could go through this or worse depending on how kind their current owners and management want to be.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:08 am

Remember beating someone and then getting bricks through the changing room window!!

Who can forget this golden moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tqiNP1J62M
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:25 am

Who can forget having points taken away from you when the other team goes out of business!! Chester if I remember rightly???
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:29 am

Sedgwick wrote:Remember beating someone and then getting bricks through the changing room window!!

Jesus...

Never again.

Its also worth noting that we probably wouldnt have a club if it wasnt for some snow. We were locked out the ground by you know who and if the fixture was able to go ahead but we couldn't fulfil it, wed have been deducted 10 points. I think we finished that season about 8 points safe so we would have gone down to conf North had that snow not fallen.

That was the lowest point ever. I doubt it will ever get that bad for them over there.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 am

Cheaterfield have to look at Tranmere and how they didn't bounce straight back, and they don't have the financial problems that Cheaterfield allegedly do. Who knows they could do a Stockport, York or Hartlepool.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:47 am

Hopefully
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:58 am

On Jack Lester, the majority seem to want to keep him in charge. One fan seems to think he will lead them to league1 in 7 years.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:02 am

Chris M wrote:Had a quick look at their message board earlier. Many of them now accept relegation as certain now. While not necessarily expecting an immediate promotion the general feeling is they won't be playing at that level for long. They have no comprehension at all what awaits them next season. I was just thinking back to our time down there and trying to list the pros and cons of life outside the football league.

The bad bits:

The good bits:

One good one that some might say is not having to play in the " Mickey Mouse " cup. Although Lincoln are happy with their £500,000, they made from it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:07 am

Wonder where that guy who wanted to turn us into Harchester United is? Try it with the sheep
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 am

Sedgwick wrote:Wonder where that guy who wanted to turn us into Harchester United is? Try it with the sheep

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8104098 ... s_aged_51/
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:13 am

Sedgwick wrote:Wonder where that guy who wanted to turn us into Harchester United is? Try it with the sheep

He’s dead
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:14 am

I think he's still dead
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:25 am

Sedgwick wrote:Remember beating someone and then getting bricks through the changing room window!!

Just to clarify, Cox made that up, there was no bricks, it was someone punching the window that smashed it, eh Martin?! :D ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:32 am

I see on Blobs Bored that they're discussing cheap season tickets and reduced admission charges.

Have they any concept of the financial implementations of non league?

I'm sure that our previous directors mentioned a reduction of circa £1m in annual income.

Unless things have changed recently, don't you also lose funding of your academy?
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:46 pm

I think the parachute payments are higher now than when we sunk into the abyss.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:36 pm

If they lose at FGR and Grimsby win at Swindon (yes unlikely) would that mean they are gone?
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foxy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:11 pm

I wonder what the odds will be on them doing the hatrick

And getting relegated next season as well
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:09 pm

Hope I don’t see any banners appearing on bridges on my commute through that crap hole every morning when that trap door finally opens on them :D
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Foxy wrote:I wonder what the odds will be on them doing the hatrick

Hopefully . To say a few seasons back they were a few points off promotion to the Championship .
I think the Conference is very weak now . I hope Tranmere miss out if the Dippers go down . You only have to look at some of the teams pushing for the play offs to see how weak it now is . .
If they retain a few of the half decent players and bring in a few more then they will be up there .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:14 pm

tmwilson wrote:
Foxy wrote:I wonder what the odds will be on them doing the hatrick

Hopefully . To say a few seasons back they were a few points off promotion to the Championship .
I think the Conference is very weak now . I hope Tranmere miss out if the Dippers go down . You only have to look at some of the teams pushing for the play offs to see how weak it now is . .
If they retain a few of the half decent players and bring in a few more then they will be up there .

Strongly disagree. We said exactly the same. Its hell in that league.
The One
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum