{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About Chesterfield

Postby HU7stag » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Could the conference teams not lay a grass pitch prior to playing in the football league, I.e. in close season?
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:08 pm

HU7stag wrote:Could the conference teams not lay a grass pitch prior to playing in the football league, I.e. in close season?

Yes, they could, be the qualifying date is 31st March 2018
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:32 pm

part time pete wrote:Apparently there might be no promotions from Conference this season and no relegation from League Two and this might be a god-send for the spireites

http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gfo ... =200691725

Apparently if a conference team with a 3G pitch finishes in a promotion place will not be able to get promotion and the teams at bottom of League Two will be reprieved.

There are a number of teams at top end of conference this season with 3G pitches.

It would just be our luck for the spireites getting a reprieve

I think the chances of Sutton, Maidstone or Bromley winning the league are very slim personally. However it is possible.

If any of them finished in the play-off places, they would simply be replaced in the play-offs by the next club down the table.

If in the unlikely case that Sutton, Maidstone or Bromley did win the league, then I don't think anyone knows what would happen. Would the 2nd placed team be promoted automatically, or the 2nd bottom team in League Two be reprieved? I can imagine it will be chaos. Note that it is only possible for one team to be reprieved at the bottom of League Two.

I'm hoping to get to Sutton v Dover (3rd vs 1st) on Tuesday if I possibly can.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:34 pm

part time pete wrote:
HU7stag wrote:Could the conference teams not lay a grass pitch prior to playing in the football league, I.e. in close season?

Yes, they could, be the qualifying date is 31st March 2018

ie. no because it would have to be in place by March.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby HU7stag » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:03 pm

Ok, cheers Pete / Martin.

So any team in Conference National with a 3G pitch have absolutely no ambition of playing in the Football League, well for that season at least.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:06 pm

HU7stag wrote:Ok, cheers Pete / Martin.

So any team in Conference National with a 3G pitch have absolutely no ambition of playing in the Football League, well for that season at least.

they are hoping that EFL will change its mind at some point. They might, but clearly not in time for promotion this season I would say.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Football at league level should be played on grass not plastic. The money making side of it is ok for non league if you have a 3G pitch for a matchday as it can be used all the time. However the higher you go then the facilities are better and (as with us soon at Woburn) most have a 3G all weather pitch to train on at their training ground if need be.

The technological improvement and investment in stadium grass pitches in general is light years ahead of the days of beaches like the Baseball Ground nowdays. There are a few exceptions granted but in general most pitches at league level last well all year.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Spiritater wrote:Football at league level should be played on grass not plastic. The money making side of it is ok for non league if you have a 3G pitch for a matchday as it can be used all the time. However the higher you go then the facilities are better and (as with us soon at Woburn) most have a 3G all weather pitch to train on at their training ground if need be.

The technological improvement and investment in stadium grass pitches in general is light years ahead of the days of beaches like the Baseball Ground nowdays. There are a few exceptions granted but in general most pitches at league level last well all year.

I don't agree. Modern 3g pitches are excellent and widely used in much higher Leagues than ours across Europe. What they provide is a surface that can be used all year round, all day, every day. I believe League 1 and 2 clubs should be allowed them if they want and then if promoted to the Championship then replace it within a year.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Madstagsfan2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Wouldn't it be blooming typical, Spireites get relegated, only to be saved on a technicality.
Madstagsfan2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Rob wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Football at league level should be played on grass not plastic. The money making side of it is ok for non league if you have a 3G pitch for a matchday as it can be used all the time. However the higher you go then the facilities are better and (as with us soon at Woburn) most have a 3G all weather pitch to train on at their training ground if need be.

I don't agree. Modern 3g pitches are excellent and widely used in much higher Leagues than ours across Europe. What they provide is a surface that can be used all year round, all day, every day. I believe League 1 and 2 clubs should be allowed them if they want and then if promoted to the Championship then replace it within a year.

A decent grass pitch with undersoil heating, decent drainage and covers can be used all year round.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:53 pm

The winners wouldnt get denied. Theyd have to find a ground share.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:The winners wouldnt get denied. Theyd have to find a ground share.

not so. You would have to be in that ground share by March.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chambta » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:28 pm

How do other European leagues look at these surfaces?

Isn't there one in the Scottish Prem?
chambta
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Scottish Premiership
Hamilton Accies – New Douglas Park

Kilmarnock – Rugby Park

Scottish Championship
Alloa Athletic – Recreation Park

Falkirk – Falkirk Stadium
Queen of the South – Palmerston

Scottish League 1
Airdrieonians – Excelsior Stadium
Forfar Athletic – Station Park
Stenhousemuir – Ochilview

Scottish League 2
Annan Athletic – Galabank
Clyde – Broadwood
East Stirlingshire – Ochilview

Montrose – Links Park

Note: Stenhousemuir and East Stirling both play their home matches at the same venue – Ochilview
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:46 pm

Didn't the conference premier decide 3G was ok quite quickly because of the number of teams getting promoted that had it?

I don't think the football league should do it but a promoted side must lay a grass pitch, surely the clubs can afford to if they get promoted.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:51 pm

International and Champions League matches are played on 3G, so was the womens World Cup in Canada. Many teams in the Eredivisie play on 3G and almost all amateur football in the Netherlands is on 3G pitches, which as I have said before, are used constantly by the entire local communities. It does not really make sense that 3rd and 4th Div clubs can't use them if they want to. For what JR has spent renovating our pitch over the years, I suspect we could have had the latest 3G pitch installed - no need for a training ground, no need for the Youth team to play elsewhere and the club could rent the pitch out to local clubs, schools etc, etc.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:03 am

What happens in the FA Cup I'm sure Sutton United have a 3G pitch at a cost of 1 million pound paid partly by their manager
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 am

SINA STAG wrote:What happens in the FA Cup I'm sure Sutton United have a 3G pitch at a cost of 1 million pound paid partly by their manager

3G pitches are allowed in the FA Cup.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldnic » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am

The quality of the football played is affected. Watch Welsh premier on bbc, majority are plastic, but again they get hundreds of thousands from the Champions league qualification. Conference level at best
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:38 am

oldnic wrote:The quality of the football played is affected. Watch Welsh premier on bbc, majority are plastic, but again they get hundreds of thousands from the Champions league qualification. Conference level at best

Nearly all Dutch football has been played on artificial surfaces for at least 20 years, whilst of course the national side is going through a tough time, I would say the average Dutch footballer is technically vastly superior to an English footballer. This is because the kids play on perfect surfaces and can hone their technique, whilst our kids learn on dogdo riddled swamps and generally just kick the ball as soon as they get it. Mini-soccer has gone some way to making this a bit better (with the retreat rule) and more kids football than ever before is played on artificial surfaces which is clearly a great benefit. As I said, I do agree that at the highest level football should be played on perfect grass surfaces, but at the lower levels and amateur football, having a 3G surface is a no-brainer if you can afford the initial outlay.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:49 am

Is it me or is this Chesterfield thread ? :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am

The One wrote:Is it me or is this Chesterfield thread ? :D

it is relevant to Chesterfield's impending relegation. :D
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Big yella » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
The One wrote:Is it me or is this Chesterfield thread ? :D

it is relevant to Chesterfield's impending relegation. :D

It isn't relevant to their impending relegation.

If they go down they will go bust, so it doesn't matter what pitches are used. It's about the only thing Carson says that they believe. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Big yella on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:08 pm

East Stirlingshire are now in the lowland league having been relegated two seasons ago. In countries where it snows a lot, I see a use for them, and for smaller teams to generate money from renting them out, but long term, we don't understand whether they cause more injuries to knees etc, and there's always the cancer risk for gks from the black pellets. My localish team Harrogate Town play with it, and might finally get in the National this season, I cant see them getting any higher though.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:29 pm

The reason the Dutch are better than us has little to do with the surface, it’s a lot deeper than that.
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum