{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About non-league Chesterfield

Postby jay the butcher » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Don't think even Denton could plaster over those cracks they have
jay the butcher
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:06 pm

There's a Chesterfield fan view that they've already purchased similar (Ugwu from Woking who has a similar conference record to Denton, and Shaw) that hasn't worked, so it doesnt matter who they get up front because its not the strikers that are the problem, its the midfield. Where have we heard that before?
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:33 pm

They won't need a midfield, they will just lump it to the big man.

They also have someone with a massive throw, (Muggleton).

Hang on, has MA been talking to Coxie ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Amber Andy wrote:They won't need a midfield, they will just lump it to the big man.

Seemed to work for us and Coxy though in the Conf, nobody can argue with that. The idea is to get out no matter how ugly the football. Winning games is all that matters.

Yes tin hat's on as no doubt someone'll come on here and say, 'I'd sooner have stopped in t'Conf playing pretty tippy tappy footy than going up watching what Cox had to offer'.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Oh dear that team was a shambles. I never want to return to the pit of misery.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:They won't need a midfield, they will just lump it to the big man.

Seemed to work for us and Coxy though in the Conf, nobody can argue with that. The idea is to get out no matter how ugly the football. Winning games is all that matters.

Yes tin hat's on as no doubt someone'll come on here and say, 'I'd sooner have stopped in t'Conf playing pretty tippy tappy footy than going up watching what Cox had to offer'.
I agree with you. I will always be grateful to Coxy for getting us out of that league.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:19 pm

1970Stag wrote:I was watching the highlights on BT, just for a giggle like, and what on earth is that mascot they've got? A dormouse?

His name is Chester the field mouse :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Looks like a rat to me.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:12 pm

We did not generally play direct under Paul Cox in the Conference Premier especially when we won 20 out of 23 games at the end of the season. We always played with two wingers with Paul Cox picking two wingers from Louis Briscoe, Lindon Meikle and Junior Daniel which meant that we were pretty exciting to watch. Matt Green played on his own up front with Lee Stevenson in the hole behind him. Matt Rhead generally came on as a sub. We had Adam Murray and Anthony Howell/Adam Chapman in centre midfield. We also did not use the long throw too much in the 2nd half of the season as Big Ex only started one game after January. It was Luke Jones and John Dempster who played at centre half. I thought Luke Jones was our player of the season as we only lost three games after he returned to the side and he scored 8 goals. Lee Beevers played at right back and James Jennings/Greg Taylor played at left back.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:37 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We did not generally play direct under Paul Cox in the Conference Premier especially when we won 20 out of 23 games at the end of the season. We always played with two wingers with Paul Cox picking two wingers from Louis Briscoe, Lindon Meikle and Junior Daniel which meant that we were pretty exciting to watch. Matt Green played on his own up front with Lee Stevenson in the hole behind him. Matt Rhead generally came on as a sub. We had Adam Murray and Anthony Howell/Adam Chapman in centre midfield. We also did not use the long throw too much in the 2nd half of the season as Big Ex only started one game after January. It was Luke Jones and John Dempster who played at centre half. I thought Luke Jones was our player of the season as we only lost three games after he returned to the side and he scored 8 goals. Lee Beevers played at right back and James Jennings/Greg Taylor played at left back.

I will always respect Paul Cox for getting us out of the conference.He stuck to his guns and did it his way .The style of play was fully justified by the position at the end of the season

I also believe there are other styles of play that lead to success without make you’re eyes bleed or giving you a stiff neck and I would much rather watch that .

He achieved what he had to do and we should all be grateful, but , I would never use the words pretty or exciting to describe the majority of Cox’s teams . Thank you but never again .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 am

Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 am

one f in mansfield wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We did not generally play direct under Paul Cox in the Conference Premier especially when we won 20 out of 23 games at the end of the season. We always played with two wingers with Paul Cox picking two wingers from Louis Briscoe, Lindon Meikle and Junior Daniel which meant that we were pretty exciting to watch. Matt Green played on his own up front with Lee Stevenson in the hole behind him. Matt Rhead generally came on as a sub. We had Adam Murray and Anthony Howell/Adam Chapman in centre midfield. We also did not use the long throw too much in the 2nd half of the season as Big Ex only started one game after January. It was Luke Jones and John Dempster who played at centre half. I thought Luke Jones was our player of the season as we only lost three games after he returned to the side and he scored 8 goals. Lee Beevers played at right back and James Jennings/Greg Taylor played at left back.

I will always respect Paul Cox for getting us out of the conference.He stuck to his guns and did it his way .The style of play was fully justified by the position at the end of the season

I also believe there are other styles of play that lead to success without make you’re eyes bleed or giving you a stiff neck and I would much rather watch that .

He achieved what he had to do and we should all be grateful, but , I would never use the words pretty or exciting to describe the majority of Cox’s teams . Thank you but never again .
Not even if we were in a similar situation?

I certainly would.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:14 am

The football towards the end of the season we went up was fine. Solid at the back, and creating chances up front. How much of that was down to Cox is debatable. He went crazy with the budget at the start of that season, and we had a hugely bloated squad. When we had a settled team, we looked much much better.

Before and after that, Cox's football was enough to make your eyes bleed. Attrocious stuff, and you can see why he hasn't been a success since.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:39 am

Amber Andy wrote:
one f in mansfield wrote:

Not even if we were in a similar situation?

I certainly would.

So would I, and so would the 20 or so other ex-league teams wallowing in non-league right now. Maybe in 100 years time when we’re all dead, and some distant relatives of Jack Retter, Martin Shaw and Paul Taylor are putting together the ‘Mansfield Town – the first 250 years’ history, when all they have are playing records and no-one alive remembers how we played at the time will Cox rightfully be spoken of alongside Smith, Morris, Greaves and Foster and getting the full credit he deserves for getting us out of that league. He took us as far as his ability as a manager could, as he had earned the right to, and he left at the right time. But he will always have my 100% gratitude, regardless of how he did it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:47 am

Style of play is irrelevant when you are winning, I personally couldn't wait for the next game during that promotion season out of the Conference, didn't give the style we were playing a second thought.
The excitement of climbing the table, with the ups (Hereford away) the downs (Braintree away) took over, I can't remember what style Kiddy played but if it was better than ours it wasn't enough to win the league, just look where they are now.

We got promoted under Cox's management, end of.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:51 am

pemill wrote:Style of play is irrelevant when you are winning, I personally couldn't wait for the next game during that promotion season out of the Conference, didn't give the style we were playing a second thought.
The excitement of climbing the table, with the ups (Hereford away) the downs (Braintree away) took over, I can't remember what style Kiddy played but if it was better than ours it wasn't enough to win the league, just look where they are now.

Spot On ! :mtfc:
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:24 pm

This must be the longest thread in the World on a topic nobody is really interested in, just the p*** taking.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 pm

oldweststander wrote:This must be the longest thread in the World on a topic nobody is really interested in, just the p*** taking.

Please repost this every Wednesday. Because everytime some miserable so and so whines on about the thread, the six fingered sheep molesters manage to embarrass themselves even more and bring it back to life.

Now I'm not in the slightest a supertitious kind of person, but the downturn in their fortunes since the start of this thread is nothing short of blucking frilliant.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:46 pm

The first page of this thread is worth a revist. It's been a great 2 years. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:05 pm

If you don’t like it, don’t comment or read the thread. Simple. :shock:
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Sneag wrote:The first page of this thread is worth a revist. It's been a great 2 years. :lol:

Page 1 is great to see the negative stags fans predict they'll be back in league 1 before we make it!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Re: Let's Have A Thread About Chesterfield

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Random Hero wrote:But still a league above.

However, I think the long term future is much brighter for Mansfield with John Radford et al's vision for the club. We are nearly self sustainable, Chesterfield won't be that for many, many years to come.

I had a look at pg1 and this was spot on lol.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 pm

pemill wrote:Style of play is irrelevant when you are winning, I personally couldn't wait for the next game during that promotion season out of the Conference, didn't give the style we were playing a second thought.

First sentence. Right there. Exactly.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 am

What is happening with clubs that had a history of league football?
Some owners jumping on the band wagon trying to get fame and fortune?
Or some owners just jumping on the band wagon for fame?
Wrexham Leyton Hartlepool Halifax Darlington chester Torquay York?
Are we going to add the cheats to this list?
Why not we was on it and deserved to be with the owner we had.
I hope it takes them 10 years to realise it's the owner who puts you there.
John Radford has made mistakes and he's learning from them ( horse racing is a better gamble :D )
The best signing we ever made was John Radford.
:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 am

chip63 wrote:What is happening with clubs that had a history of league football?
Some owners jumping on the band wagon trying to get fame and fortune?
Or some owners just jumping on the band wagon for fame?
Wrexham Leyton Hartlepool Halifax Darlington chester Torquay York?
Are we going to add the cheats to this list?
Why not we was on it and deserved to be with the owner we had.
I hope it takes them 10 years to realise it's the owner who puts you there.
John Radford has made mistakes and he's learning from them ( horse racing is a better gamble :D )
The best signing we ever made was John Radford.
:coys:

I think John signed MTFC a lifeline after him who shall not be named bled us dry
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum