{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About Chesterfield

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:05 pm

I wonder what odds Paddy Power would give on Ugo Ehiogu becoming their manager???

Even they wouldn't be that daft would they??????
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:12 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Just looked at their manager odds. Not a fantastic list.

The only name that thwy need on the list is Martin Allen. Lets hope they dont get him.

4th favourite according to SkyBet
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-s ... t/21246424

If any of the current top 3 (Lester, Evatt, Davies at the time of writing) get it, they're down.

OMG a list of potential managers n SE know where to be seen.....

Do you think the Bookies have got the message Stevie is staying put....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby chambta » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Spiritater wrote:
chambta wrote:It's a mess, no doubt about it.

Who's the smart money on to lead you to Lge 2 safety?

God knows mate.

I suspect the idiots in charge will think they can please everyone by appointing one of either Kevin Davies or Jack Lester.

To be honest anyone could do better than Caldwell.
chambta
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:39 pm

I'd be curious for an honest opinion from a Spireite on whether they think they have the players to avoid a relegation battle.

I remember the 99/00 season when Billy Dearden performed an absolute miracle in keeping us up. A squad of about 8 players a week before the season kicked off; having to pull in journeymen and nobodies to fill a squad; thumped 6-0 on the first game of the season; 6 points after 8 games. Yet he dragged it round and laid the first few blocks towards an eventual promotion season.

It's a season that's kinda been forgotten but was quite a managerial performance from someone who didn't just have his hands tied; he was hog-tied to a spit with a Granny Smith in his cakehole.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:53 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I'd be curious for an honest opinion from a Spireite on whether they think they have the players to avoid a relegation battle.

I remember the 99/00 season when Billy Dearden performed an absolute miracle in keeping us up. A squad of about 8 players a week before the season kicked off; having to pull in journeymen and nobodies to fill a squad; thumped 6-0 on the first game of the season; 6 points after 8 games. Yet he dragged it round and laid the first few blocks towards an eventual promotion season.

It's a season that's kinda been forgotten but was quite a managerial performance from someone who didn't just have his hands tied; he was hog-tied to a spit with a Granny Smith in his cakehole.

One of my favourite seasons as a Stags fan that one. Probably the best managerial achievement I've seen from a Stags boss. That squad on paper should have been relegated by Christmas but coasted to a comfortable mid table finish.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:34 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I'd be curious for an honest opinion from a Spireite on whether they think they have the players to avoid a relegation battle.

Whoever they appoint, you could argue he will have to work greater miracles than what Dearden did all those years ago.
At least Dearden had scope to bring players in, no matter how cheap they were. He could also beg, steal or borrow young loanees. That was a massive achievement in itself given he was working on a shoestring Haslam budget.
But nowadays, managerial vacancies are a real test of your coaching abilities when you're stuck with what the previous failed manager has left behind.
Not even having the option of a few loanees like previous years makes it a real stern test for whoever is daft/desperate enough to take on the task.

Many Spireites I know seem to think the squad is good enough, it was Caldwell's tactics that were wrong. My argument was that unless Caldwell was playing 1 at the back and no goalkeeper, they shouldn't have been shipping goals by the bucket load that they have been, so are they really all that?

My pre-season conceptions of their signings having read the local rag every week was that I felt they were weaker. The squad depth may have increased, but the quality was worse, and there was no versatility in there. They have one out and out winger on the books for example, whereas we have at least 4, with a couple more who can also do a job there if asked. They are a squad of "Square pegs in round holes" if they are being asked to play any system other than the one Caldwell was setting them up for.
So whoever they appoint, he's got a massive job on his hands to get results.
It is being billed as the biggest managerial appointment in their history in terms of having to get it right, and living locally, I have to agree.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Jack Lester now bookies hot favourite. As we know former playing legends don't always make good managers. Having said that, he is doing great things at Forest with the under23 team.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Jack Lester now bookies hot favourite. As we know former playing legends don't always make good managers. Having said that, he is doing great things at Forest with the under23 team.

Managing an U23 side and one that looks destined for relegation is completely different. Jose Mourinho could go in to chesterfield and still probably struggle!

One things for sure - it's good to be a stags fan right now :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:50 pm

What I found funny was that Chris Turner, is second favourite. The Cheaterfield fans are far from happy with that!
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm

I dont find any of this funny.

I've got 2 grand riding on this. Young Gary was doing such a good freakin job of it as well.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 pm

die hirsche wrote:I dont find any of this funny.

I've got 2 grand riding on this. Young Gary was doing such a good freakin job of it as well.
It was only a matter of time. But their recruitment hasn't been great since Cook left, so you could be ok.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 pm

I think Cook was a bit of good luck to be honest.

The Chesterfield board signed him after 1 good Accrington performance against them.

It still makes no sense to me what Big Dave is doing over the road.

It looked like he was clearly on his way out with the fire sale of anyone worth anything and yet he's still there.

There's only one reason in my mind why that might be and that is he cant sell because there will be a world of dodgy dealing uncovered as soon as any potential buyer gets close to the books.
The truth will out at some point but I'd be fearing the worst if i was a Spireite.

I can feel a David Conn article coming soon.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:23 am

I said before the season had started that they'd do well. Even though Sir Dave Allen wants his money back he was quite prepared to back them, and they got their top 6 budget for the division. Obviously he wants that back too but I think once they get that right man in charge and tinker with the team they'll be alright. They could be renamed Teflon Four Leafed Clover FC, don't forget.
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:44 am

what a great & feel good thread
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:04 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:38 am

When you are paying `Chris O,Grady. 4.5k a wk you are in the brown stuff
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 am

daddycool wrote:When you are paying `Chris O,Grady. 4.5k a wk you are in the brown stuff

he's really set the league on fire hasn't he
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Admiral Sook wrote:I said before the season had started that they'd do well. Even though Sir Dave Allen wants his money back he was quite prepared to back them, and they got their top 6 budget for the division. Obviously he wants that back too but I think once they get that right man in charge and tinker with the team they'll be alright. They could be renamed Teflon Four Leafed Clover FC, don't forget.

The problem is the supposed Top 6 budget has gone predominantly on 1 man. They've got very little else in their squad so not sure why you think they will be ok. You have more faith than the 4 lads i know who are all season ticket holders. They said in May they would drop through league 2 into the Conference and nothing has so far made them change their minds. Its not really Dave Allen who is the problem its Ashley Carson who is currently in charge where the problem lies.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:
Admiral Sook wrote:I said before the season had started that they'd do well. Even though Sir Dave Allen wants his money back he was quite prepared to back them, and they got their top 6 budget for the division. Obviously he wants that back too but I think once they get that right man in charge and tinker with the team they'll be alright. They could be renamed Teflon Four Leafed Clover FC, don't forget.

The problem is the supposed Top 6 budget has gone predominantly on 1 man. They've got very little else in their squad so not sure why you think they will be ok. You have more faith than the 4 lads i know who are all season ticket holders. They said in May they would drop through league 2 into the Conference and nothing has so far made them change their minds. Its not really Dave Allen who is the problem its Ashley Carson who is currently in charge where the problem lies.

If that's the case, and I'm not convinced it is, let's hope they keep Carson in charge.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Going the way of Dagenham Leyton Orient and Tranmere
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:

I too have mates who follow the unwashed and they are quite positive about the recruitment, they blame bad tactics. Square pegs in round holes when natural fitting players are available but not used. I'll be delighted to say I'm wrong but my mates are still convinced they'll be there or thereabouts this season.
Ashley Carson is only held up by DA's right arm too, they're like Roger De Courcey and Nooky Bear....one for the teenagers :lol:
Last edited by Admiral Sook on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Admiral Sook wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:

I too have mates who follow the unwashed and they are quite positive about the recruitment, they blame bad tactics. Square pegs in round holes where square pegs are available. I'll be delighted to say I'm wrong but my mates are still convinced they'll be there or thereabouts this season.

Would your mates be kind enough to tell what brand of beer they drink :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:58 pm

The One wrote:
Admiral Sook wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:

I too have mates who follow the unwashed and they are quite positive about the recruitment, they blame bad tactics. Square pegs in round holes where square pegs are available. I'll be delighted to say I'm wrong but my mates are still convinced they'll be there or thereabouts this season.

Just sent one a message asking what his favourite beer is... he said 'beer' :lol:
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:58 pm

The One wrote:
Admiral Sook wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:

I think it's very good of the hostel to allow your mates out occasionally.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:11 pm

:lol:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
The One wrote:
Admiral Sook wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:

I think it's very good of the hostel to allow your mates out occasionally.

You don't know how accurate you are with one of them :lol:
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum