{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

CONSULTATION BY MTFC WITH FANS,SEASON TICKET/MATCH DAY PRICE

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: CONSULTATION BY MTFC WITH FANS,SEASON TICKET/MATCH DAY P

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:54 am

Please understand everyone that the school leaving age is now 18.

Teenagers can leave school at 16 for further education or an apprentiship, but the vast majority will not be in employment.
So how can a 17 year old be expected to pay north of £20 for a match day ticket?

It shows a clear lack of understanding of the situation to me and I'm glad that the club have finally decided to listen to the customers.

As for the Quarry Lane End, they'll soon not even need to open it if it carries on in the current form. Where else in the country do you pay the same price for the restricted 'cheapseats' as you do for 'ringside' or superior view?

The objective for the QLE must be to make it a family/budget friendly stand, that welcomes youngsters. By all means keep the prices the same in the Greavsie, but lets have some foresight: £5 for 18's and under in the QLE; a student ticket for £8-£9; and 20% of the regular stadium price for adults. Lets bring back some life to that dwindling little corner of Mansfield. The club are successfully trying to strangle it and it's lost consciousness.

The idea of putting a 'walk up' turnstile in each section of the ground is an absolute must. Again, by all means make it cheaper to pre-purchase a ticket; and Thon's ideas have to be researched if the club wants to be serious about making Field Mill cashless; but I despair at the lost revenue. It's okay implementing games for £7, but the public have demonstrated that it still can't be arsed to go through the hassle of getting tickets to watch a failing football team at the very basement of the Football League.
Is anyone really surprised with the attendances we've attracted for the £7 games?.....You shouldn't be.

MTFC have to realise that you need to jump through hoops to attract customers at their level; whereas, to a degree, it is the customer who is doing their own fair share of hoop jumping. Part timers simply won't do it.

Failing football team + ackward ticketing system = only the very hardcore

Look at Burton Albion the other week. A smaller club than us; yet they had it at £15 adults; £5 young uns. They had ticket turnstiles and walk up turnstiles. I agree that it was for a standing stand, but who sets the rules when it comes to saying that you must pay more for a seat than; especially when there is no alternative?
If Burton can do it, why the heck can't Mansfield Town.

The club have been incredibly misinformed, haphazard and sloppy with their ideas in the last couple of years, and it has (unsurprisingly) turned around and bit them on the arse.
I hope that they will now listen to sensible ideas and finally implement some of them.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:21 am

The pay cash on the gate option should only be for one stand and one stand only imo, the QLE. Those that do take up this option should pay a premium price of £1-2 more than those who've pre purchased as unless it's a big game and good weather you'd get 100 tops 'spur of the moments' . No exceptions, no concessions one price only. If it was the same price as the pre purchase price nobody would pre purchase other than concessions and kids and everyone would roll up at 2.55pm and wonder why the queue was stretching down to Nottm Rd.
To have access on a pay cash on the gate turnstile in any other stand is needless and a waste of wages. One trusted person on one gate is all it needs. Then those that want to turn up pay cash at t'gate on the day will have the chance to but won't have the view/benefits of those who've taken the time/trouble to plan ahead.

T'would be like going to the theatre and deciding to go 5 mins before the main act comes on, sure you'll get in but you'll be sat right at the back up in the gods rather than on the front row. You can't have it both ways.

Keeping it to the one stand also would be easier to manage steward wise also. 2-3 extra (just in case) in the one stand rather than another 5-6 (just in case) in the WS.

These are just my thoughts.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:50 am

There are already some good ideas on here

Fair play to the club for opening this up and engaging with fans - The fans are the lifeblood of any football club and this should be fundamental to help with club and fans getting along

I have some thoughts, shared on face-book, but thought I'd add them here too;

A variety of memberships
Kent CCC do a variety of memberships to be a members of the club - Link attached - https://www.kentcricketshop.co.uk/selec ... ships.aspx - For instance they do a "six-pack" plus others like a membership for those who live 75+ miles away from Canterbury/'home'.

Could MTFC be a forerunner and try to consider something similar on two fronts;

a) To provide a variety of memberships to fans with a varying membership depending upon thel level of commitment to attend games and/or get involved with the club? We currently have season ticket or not but a varying level of membership would make fans feel 'part' of the club perhaps?

b) Offering some kind of membership to fans not local to the club would be good for those not in the locality to feel aprt of the club and engaged with it too. I, for one, feel a liitle 'out of it' and not 'part' of the club I have supported all my life - Any this has only happened since moving away from Mansfield - Could the club introduce some sort of 'membership' for inclusion of all and not just thouse with an NG postcode?

Also attached is a consideration for MTFC of a differing type of membership already in the football domain at Millwall FC - http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/tickets/MSC ... ation.aspx - Whereby the membership includes;

By becoming an MSC member you can enjoy many benefits including:

• Two selected matches where members can purchase a ticket for £17
• Buy your ticket early before a matchday to claim a £3 members discount
• As an MSC member you can apply for tickets to away matches
• You will get a priority period to purchase tickets for high demand games, Cup matches and league Play-Offs
• Your card will be loaded with £3 worth of TeamCard points when you apply online
• Your TeamCard is updated and becomes your ticket, saving mail costs and no queueing!
• Members can claim a 5% discount if they buy a seat in the Executive area or when booking a hospitality event
• MSC members can gain access to Arry's Bar on a matchday
• You will receive a unique Millwall Supporter's Club badge

A 'floodlit five' style deal
This season Brighton offering a "floodlit five" deal - http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/ ... 06663.aspx - Brighton & Hove Albion has launched an exciting new ticket package aimed at Saturday footballers and weekend workers - which also includes free Seagulls Priority bronze or Young Seagulls Plus membership.

The ‘Floodlit Five’ includes all of Albion's Tuesday night Championship fixtures at the Amex - against Cardiff, Wigan, Leeds, Derby and Huddersfield- and will be available to buy from 9am tomorrow (Thursday 11th September) morning.

Could Stags consider a package for midweek matches for those who are unavailable to attend matches at weekends?
@beckenham_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby golfmickeyboy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:49 am

I don't know how feasible it would be and I risk being shot down in flames but I would consider investing the money in opening the Bishop St Stand as a Family Stand with maybe 1 or 2 free places for children, say, under 10 for every full paying adult. I also agree with other posters that the £20 threshold should not be broken. We are all aware of the need to keep prices at a level that is sustainable but in the short term we need to be attracting as many floating or new supporters as possible.
golfmickeyboy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:56 am

Investing what money exactly on the BSS? Do we have £80-90,000 to do it up, would it pay for itself next season? I'd sooner funds were invested in keeping us in FL.
Last edited by Spiritater on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:59 am

In an ideal world we could rip the seats out of the North Stand and make it terracing and give it back to the home fans to use. Failing that rip the seats out of the QLE and put terracing in and charge £12-15 for standing. You could even do half & half, rip half the seats out and leave the other half in. You could have the standing part near the tunnel, that would ramp up the atmosphere especially as the players come out of the tunnel as all the singers would gather round there.

On a separate note, I know a Wycombe fan, goes by the name of the Wycombe Wanderer, groundhops everywhere. He's going to Teversal this Saturday. When I asked him why he was coming all the way up here and not going to see his own team, this was his reply:

Russell Cox: Not gonna piss around with their stupid ticket arrangements for away fans, dropping and meeting mates in Mansfield before though, only 15 minutes away

I wonder how many £20+ away fans we've lost with this system in place?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:01 am

I cant believe the club is getting the fans to do their work for them! Booo!
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:06 am

golfmickeyboy wrote:I don't know how feasible it would be and I risk being shot down in flames but I would consider investing the money in opening the Bishop St Stand as a Family Stand with maybe 1 or 2 free places for children, say, under 10 for every full paying adult. I also agree with other posters that the £20 threshold should not be broken. We are all aware of the need to keep prices at a level that is sustainable but in the short term we need to be attracting as many floating or new supporters as possible.

The club has said in the past that it would cost £1,000 per seat to refurbish the Bishop Street. We also do not fill the seats we already have in the QLE and IGS.

It is clear though that fans would like to have a "Family Area" or even a "Family Stand".

Should we also have an unreserved area for a "Singing Section" and should that be located in the QLE or IG Upper (away from the Family Area)?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:09 am

Dan wrote:In an ideal world we could rip the seats out of the North Stand and make it terracing and give it back to the home fans to use. Failing that rip the seats out of the QLE and put terracing in and charge £12-15 for standing. You could even do half & half, rip half the seats out and leave the other half in. You could have the standing part near the tunnel, that would ramp up the atmosphere especially as the players come out of the tunnel as all the singers would gather round there.

On a separate note, I know a Wycombe fan, goes by the name of the Wycombe Wanderer, groundhops everywhere. He's going to Teversal this Saturday. When I asked him why he was coming all the way up here and not going to see his own team, this was his reply:

Russell Cox: Not gonna piss around with their stupid ticket arrangements for away fans, dropping and meeting mates in Mansfield before though, only 15 minutes away

That wouldn't work. So like you are sat and all those in the next block are stood up and you basicly can only see 2/3rds of the ground.... so you have to stand to see even though you've paid more and are then wrestled out the ground by the stormtroopers :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:16 am

Credit card/Debit card entry (pay on the day, no theft possible pay at turnstyle or at ticket machine)

The barriers in place for the casual "pay on the day" fan are costing the club thousands imo

I would replace the season ticket with a direct debit membership scheme, £25 per month adults, £15 per month concessions, payments starting in June every year access to all league games, discounts at club shop etc. £30/£20 per month access to all games (cup, reserves etc etc)
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag007 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:19 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
golfmickeyboy wrote:I don't know how feasible it would be and I risk being shot down in flames but I would consider investing the money in opening the Bishop St Stand as a Family Stand with maybe 1 or 2 free places for children, say, under 10 for every full paying adult. I also agree with other posters that the £20 threshold should not be broken. We are all aware of the need to keep prices at a level that is sustainable but in the short term we need to be attracting as many floating or new supporters as possible.

The club has said in the past that it would cost £1,000 per seat to refurbish the Bishop Street. We also do not fill the seats we already have in the QLE and IGS.

It is clear though that fans would like to have a "Family Area" or even a "Family Stand".

Should we also have an unreserved area for a "Singing Section" and should that be located in the QLE or IG Upper (away from the Family Area)?

Are standing areas still prohibited? The BSS would be ideal for a small standing area.

And I'm for the creation of a singing section in the QLE, but I'd be a little disappointed to lose "my" reserved seat!
Stag007
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:26 am

I'm all for having a Singing section in the QLE if you can somehow move the Patey over there!
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:44 am

Spiritater wrote:
Dan wrote:In an ideal world we could rip the seats out of the North Stand and make it terracing and give it back to the home fans to use. Failing that rip the seats out of the QLE and put terracing in and charge £12-15 for standing. You could even do half & half, rip half the seats out and leave the other half in. You could have the standing part near the tunnel, that would ramp up the atmosphere especially as the players come out of the tunnel as all the singers would gather round there.

That wouldn't work. So like you are sat and all those in the next block are stood up and you basicly can only see 2/3rds of the ground.... so you have to stand to see even though you've paid more and are then wrestled out the ground by the stormtroopers :lol:

You could do something like this which Macclesfield have:

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am

I am a season ticket holder but do not subscribe to stagsplayer.I think season ticket holders should get stagsplayer included in the subscription perhaps at a small extra charge.This would result in more revenue for the club.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby thon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:19 pm

golfmickeyboy wrote:I also agree with other posters that the £20 threshold should not be broken.

Agreed. And to add another idea...

Card-Payment (inc. Contactless) Turnstiles
Instead of a cash turnstile, have a turnstile or two in each stand which are equipped with card machines - £20 is the upper limit of Contactless Card Payments. This would allow those with such a bank / credit card to simply swipe across the terminal and gain entry to the ground. What could be simpler? And no cash.

In fact you could have 1 Contactless Card Turnstile and one non-Contactless, so those with modern cards just swipe straight through, those without have to do the PIN thing. If you can pay for your plastic food on an Airplane with a wireless card terminal, then you can do it at a football ground.

I can't see any reason not to do this - this cashless payments thing needs to become frictionless, otherwise it is simply not a customer-focussed idea. Consider the experience of the customer, and it will turn into a winner.
thon

Postby StaginBlack » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:34 pm

Think about the psychological effect of price points. If its less than £20 that may encourage people to buy a hot drink or programme as well, if it goes over they are less likely to attend and therefore not spend anything at the club.

If the online ticketing is to remain how about a loyalty system. They know how many tickets have been bought by each registered user so if say 10 are bought over the season make the 11th free or half price. Also think about linking it to offer discounts on merchandising.

Maybe provide group purchasing discounts eg buy three tickets get one free/half price to encourage parents to bring their kids, regular fans to bring more casual fans

The biggest difference though I am sure would be changes to the barriers to attracting casual fans on the day so get rid of higher prices if bought on the day, sell tickets to away fans on the day.
StaginBlack
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby young vanish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:47 pm

whipster221073 wrote:Have emailed with my thought's.
Great idea from the club to get the fans on board. Maybe the tide is turning off the pitch a little too.

Excellent, well considered posting whipster, especially regarding attracting youngsters and promotion of the club in general.

Youngsters are the lifeblood and future of small town professional football clubs, capture their attention and interest in those early years and you can have them for life. So I'd go one step further by offering free admission to all under 16s, restrict this to pre-paid only, accompanied by an adult and/or organised parties if you must. Any financial cost would be short term only and more than made up for by larger attendances bringing increased vocal support, improved atmosphere and certain to build a larger fan base for years to come.
Binarily speaking, 10's company, 11's a crowd
young vanish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:13 pm

I'd be very interested to know just how many under 18s come to Field Mill: as season ticket holders and otherwise.

How much revenue would the club actually lose, should it make it as little as £75 season ticket/£3 matchday price for them to watch the club?

In truth, how many of this age bracket are actually attracted to Field Mill for the high prices of a match day ticket?..... I'd wager it's less than a couple of hundred?

Would it be feasible for the SSA to help fund this shortfall, despite it eventually more than likely attracting more youngsters through the gates?
I know that I would personally sign up for the SSA today, if an arrangement like that was possible
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:29 pm

I agree with Doomy.

The club need to listen to what all types of fans want and make it easier for them to attend. I hope the current exercise does just that.

The current ticketing system is off putting for fans like myself who, due to personal circumstances, do not know until a few hours before kick off whether I can attend or not.

I do not mind paying a match day premium for paying at a cash turnstyle and accept that my late decision may mean my seat choice is limited. But with a choice of only two stands would it be that difficult or costly to open two cash turnstyles?

I see where the likes of Thon are coming from. But before even thinking about these whiz bang electronic solutions I think it might be an idea to start with the very basics.

Once the Murray Men start to get their act together, and they will, the fans will start to trickle back. So have a ticketing system in place that can manage that trickle easily, for the fans and the club, and be capable of dealing with the flow as it increases.
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby thon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Wilfred wrote:I see where the likes of Thon are coming from. But before even thinking about these whiz bang electronic solutions I think it might be an idea to start with the very basics.

The problem with this though, and I know it's only an opinion and so is mine, Wilf, is that with technological change, if you only do it half way it becomes an awkward pain in the derriere and in some respects will be a retrograde step.

The answer to that isn't to go backwards, but to be brave and stay the course and to press forwards. You don't implement technology just to solve a problem, which is what the club has done with cashless ticketing. Solving is a need or a pain is the easy bit, but also the selfish bit. Solving that alone achieves a half-ars.ed tech solution.

You implement technology to achieve genuine organisational change and to improve the customer experience - it should be customer-focussed. The club has not taken the next step with this ticketing technology to achieve this - so there is still a lot of 'friction' in the system which needs working out.

So it's no good going backwards, however if the pricing itself is wrong then of course get those things sorted out, but this, I would say 'unfinished' ticketing system is at the heart of our current problems, and it needs to be converted into an attractive thing from a very disliked thing by thinking in innovative ways.

Unfortunately with technology, there is very rarely such a thing as an 'out of the box' solution; such a thing is a compromised solution, which is what we have here.

(Anyway card payments at turnstiles is not exactly 'whizz bang' ;) )
thon

Postby Wilfred » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:49 pm

thon wrote:
Wilfred wrote:I see where the likes of Thon are coming from. But before even thinking about these whiz bang electronic solutions I think it might be an idea to start with the very basics.

The problem with this though, and I know it's only an opinion and so is mine, Wilf, is that with technological change, if you only do it half way it becomes an awkward pain in the derriere and in some respects will be a retrograde step.

The answer to that isn't to go backwards, but to be brave and stay the course and to press forwards. You don't implement technology just to solve a problem, which is what the club has done with cashless ticketing. Solving is a need or a pain is the easy bit, but also the selfish bit. Solving that alone achieves a half-ars.ed tech solution.

You implement technology to achieve genuine organisational change and to improve the customer experience - it should be customer-focussed. The club has not taken the next step with this ticketing technology to achieve this - so there is still a lot of 'friction' in the system which needs working out.

So it's no good going backwards, however if the pricing itself is wrong then of course get those things sorted out, but this, I would say 'unfinished' ticketing system is at the heart of our current problems, and it needs to be converted into an attractive thing from a very disliked thing by thinking in innovative ways.

Unfortunately with technology, there is very rarely such a thing as an 'out of the box' solution; such a thing is a compromised solution, which is what we have here.

(Anyway card payments at turnstiles is not exactly 'whizz bang' ;) )

I'm not saying I disagree with you, young sirrah. Au contraire.

As you know I'm a technophobe stuck in the dark ages although I do use a cash back credit card for most of my purchases including my Tena Men and Complan bulk supplies.

So why not start with good old basic cash and implement any feasible technology as well?
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby sw11 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:59 pm

my biggest gripe is that the club penalise people for who want to 'pay on the day' it almost deters those who are not sure. each priced ticket should be the same for whenever they buy it. only incentivise savings by the season ticket, dont let the fans incur penalties.

And to incentivise season tickets further, why not have additional attractions like free name & number when you buy a shirt with a season ticket, those sorts of things.

Otherwise, I'll renew my season ticket if we dont go down.
Football, a religion not communicated by the Holy Ghost.
sw11
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Isn't the issue with the pricing in the QLE that we would have to charge the same in the North Stand? I know that used to be the case and was one of the reasons SSA had the discount voucher book for the QLE and West Stand Lower.

The biggest issue for me is kids prices and pretty much always has been. The clubs current kids ticket pricing is scandalous and one of the worst things JR has done since he took over the club. This has to be changed and it has to be affordable for a 14 year old to come to a game on his own as I did back in the day. So cheap season tickets for U18's and cheaper U18 match day admission charges. I think many of the other suggestions on here are very worthy but pie in the sky, the club simply could not afford to implement them all so will clearly have to prioritise - the future of our club revolves around attracting new, young fans and we just aren't doing enough to do that. That has to be the priority, not making it cheaper for adults I'm afraid.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:44 pm

It's a great idea by the club to consult the fans & supporters.

As a season ticket holder I would say this:

My Dearest Darling Mansfield Town,

I am yours forever more, come the day that I fill my lungs with my final dose of oxygen my love for you will be as strong then as it is today. We have had our ups and downs & our downs & downs & I stood by you. For the last year when you really let yourself go and became about as attractive to look at as a fat lass in 'Juicy' joggers with a face so spotty you could easily mistake it for a heavily topped pizza and hair that is so greasy that you could cook enough chips in it to feed a family of 20 scousers for a year. Despite all this my one and only Mansfield I still love you, you are part of me and so long as you don't try and treat my wallet like a cash machine (good look with that) & you keep the price reasonable I don't see us ever being apart.

You are looking much sexier these days and you are much more fun to be around, this will only help keep bums on seats but first you need to get the new supporters through the door to see what's on offer. This is why I say to you, don't spoil me with a special offer as you have me already, instead make it more affordable for the young supporters & families to come, affordable to the point where people can't turn down the opportunity to see a game of league football at that price. If they like what they see, they will stay and like me be yours forever.

It could be the start or many more beautiful relationships between Mansfield Town FC and the people of Mansfield.

Love you Always

Showaddywaddy
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby whipster221073 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:13 pm

young vanish wrote:
whipster221073 wrote:Have emailed with my thought's.
Great idea from the club to get the fans on board. Maybe the tide is turning off the pitch a little too.

Excellent, well considered posting whipster, especially regarding attracting youngsters and promotion of the club in general.

Youngsters are the lifeblood and future of small town professional football clubs, capture their attention and interest in those early years and you can have them for life. So I'd go one step further by offering free admission to all under 16s, restrict this to pre-paid only, accompanied by an adult and/or organised parties if you must. Any financial cost would be short term only and more than made up for by larger attendances bringing increased vocal support, improved atmosphere and certain to build a larger fan base for years to come.

Cheers Young Un.

Just one of many who wish the club to do well and have my own thoughts on how this can be done.
Those who fail to send the SSA an email with their thoughts should never again question why the club don't do x, y or z.

Its good to see so many positive comments providing solutions to the problem.

Also, nice to have a personal response from Martin thanking me for my comments when i sent the email.
Ok, it only said
"Thanks for your detailed feedback Mark

Cheers, Martin"
but it's the thought that counts :D

Maybe once the club have consulted the fans on this, they will then start to get more support for other ventures and requests for support.

Keep on posting folks.
MTFC not AFC
whipster221073
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum