{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Results v Entertainment

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Results v Entertainment

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Of course, in an ideal world we would all (or most) like to watch good entertaining fast flowing winning football BUT how would you split 100% between Results and Entertainment ?

Prior to being relegated to the Conference I would have said 50% Results 50% Entertainment.

But after watching non-league football for 5 years I would now say 90% Results 10% Entertainment

My change in percentages reflects a fear of going back to non-league football, however the longer we stay in the league the more the percentage would change back to the 50%/50%.

:mansfield_till_i_die:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Re: Results v Entertainment

Postby die hirsche » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:12 pm

0% Results: 100% entertainment.

If i was entertained all of the time it follows that the results would be pretty decent anyway.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby sw11 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:29 pm

100% results. Because by definition by getting a 'result' we'd have scored. Therefore by winning, id have been entertained.
Football, a religion not communicated by the Holy Ghost.
sw11
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Both?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Both?

Yes, ideally both, BUT how would you split 100% between the two ?

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Surely, in a RESULTS BASED INDUSTRY, it's 100% results and 0% entertainment (& anything else is a bonus)?

I also don't think you can judge it really.

Say for example you asked 25 people leaving the Mill on Tuesday night to give a % of these, you would get quite a few different answers. So for one person, they might say they really enjoyed the game on Tuesday night yet another might say it was crap, so their answers would be different.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Dan wrote:Surely, in a RESULTS BASED INDUSTRY, it's 100% results and 0% entertainment (& anything else is a bonus)?

I also don't think you can judge it really.

Say for example you asked 25 people leaving the Mill on Tuesday night to give a % of these, you would get quite a few different answers. So for one person, they might say they really enjoyed the game on Tuesday night yet another might say it was crap, so their answers would be different.

Yes, that's why I asked the question, to see how many people would prefer Results or Entertainment :D

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: I'll just shut up :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby mattstag14 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 pm

100% result all day long. Not even a close contest I want my team to win.
Forget Messi or Ronaldo I'd rather have good honest boys in my team.
mattstag14
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Results. 46 boring 1-0 wins would do me fine thank you.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Supporting the club you are born into has nothing to do with entertainment. I want my club to do well. When they do well I am happy. When they play well but lose, I'm gutted and take no consolation whatsoever from the performance. Results 100% and it shouldn't even be up for debate.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:00 pm

You can't really attribute a percentage split between the 2. As mentioned already results matter the most. Asking percentage of what constitutes entertainment would be more beneficial.

For example

Scoring goals
intricate passing
killer balls
One-two to take on the man
trickery to beat their man
Patient passing

Obviously scoring goals is high but some are still not happy maybe this will shed some light on what people expect, or would like to see.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Spiritater wrote:Results. 46 boring 1-0 wins would do me fine thank you.

totally agree
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby robda1st » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:55 am

there has to be a balance. result 100% when fighting for something but there is no reason we cant aim for both results and entertainment and pretty much all of our dangerous moves come from playing a bit of football(rheads chance from beevers cross, both of palmers chances) but from going in front in the second minute and bar a few chances spending the next 90 plus mins hanging on, letting the other team player and just hoofing it up at every opportunity.

we did the same sat as soon as we went in front and have been very lucky to come away with 6 points over the last 2 games against 2 very poor sides when we should have tried to control the game instead of hang on
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:59 am

I want my cake and l want to eat it.

We've had 3 years of good results (mostly) and I've been bored out of my skull for most of it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:13 am

I will never understand why positive, entertaining football equates to poor results. Everyone just seems to assume that if we actually start to even think about entertaining the fans, then the conference beckons. I can't work out why, as from what I've seen if this league, a team who gets it down plays football and entertains would put most opponents to the sword.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kernow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:00 am

Results please.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby mattstag14 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:29 am

Sharp wrote:I will never understand why positive, entertaining football equates to poor results. Everyone just seems to assume that if we actually start to even think about entertaining the fans, then the conference beckons. I can't work out why, as from what I've seen if this league, a team who gets it down plays football and entertains would put most opponents to the sword.

Nobodies saying entertainment will bring poor results it's just that any die hard fan would definitely take the result over being entertained. I'd love to say wow that was fantastic to watch and we deserved the 3 points but I'm more than happy with the 3 points. Footballs all about winning if we get entertainment as well then that's a bonus.
Forget Messi or Ronaldo I'd rather have good honest boys in my team.
mattstag14
Manager
Manager

Postby convertmel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:54 am

If it's entertainment guaranteed you want then you are watching the wrong thing, sport by definition is unpredictable , go to a gig or cinema if you want to be sure of entertainment . I've sat through some dire games but as long as the players are trying I'm good with it, I can bear being outclassed by better players but not by head-dropping by a team..
I've heard a lot of people say they wouldn't go whilst we were in the conference, most of em are now saying the "entertainment " or lack of that stops them going.
i'm with the 99%, how about you?
convertmel
First Team
First Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:57 am

This question only works if you are just a football fan in general. i.e someone who likes to visit all grounds etc and doesnt support a specific team.

They just want to be entertained.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:02 am

mattstag14 wrote:
Sharp wrote:I will never understand why positive, entertaining football equates to poor results. Everyone just seems to assume that if we actually start to even think about entertaining the fans, then the conference beckons. I can't work out why, as from what I've seen if this league, a team who gets it down plays football and entertains would put most opponents to the sword.

Nobodies saying entertainment will bring poor results it's just that any die hard fan would definitely take the result over being entertained. I'd love to say wow that was fantastic to watch and we deserved the 3 points but I'm more than happy with the 3 points. Footballs all about winning if we get entertainment as well then that's a bonus.

In a nutshell youth, we'd love Brazilian type footy..... well maybe not eh :lol: but first and foremost it's RESULTS.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:35 am

If we carry on playing our defensive style of play I can live with it but only if we are up near the top of the league. Tuesday night was so bad we spent most of the second half trying to figure out what three bright lights were on the horizon.

Perphaps we could have a side show of topless mud wrestling in the corner of the North Stand should the game not be up to scratch?
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:51 am

Forgive me if I'm repeating a post already on this thread as I've not read all the other posts.

My take is:

As supporters, the result is paramount.

But the performance has to be worth watching, in the past I would do all that I could to go and watch my team but now I go when it fits my commitments. The style of play does not attract fans or, like me, make current supportrers re-organise their schedule to get to a game. A sad fact but true.
We have a bare bones squad, which is even barer now that Hearn is out long term, it seems no money, yet the owner gets his takeaway via helicopter.

Madness.

My opinion, so make what you might out of that but please don't give me the "if it wasn't for JR" bit, he's in it for his own purposes not the fans.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby tommyd » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:28 am

Sneag wrote:
We've had 3 years of good results (mostly) and I've been bored out of my skull for most of it.

:D Exactly how I feel.
tommyd
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The One » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:31 am

pete wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Results. 46 boring 1-0 wins would do me fine thank you.

totally agree

York and Burton did that last season
The One
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum