{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Results v Entertainment

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Results v Entertainment

Postby nick_stags » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:33 pm

There seems to be a perception on here that wonderful passing football is the only form of entertainment. In the second half of our playoff and title winning season we didn't play 'great football' in the traditional sense, but it was fantastic entertainment. Direct, powerful and pacey, fantastic to watch.

Cox always seem to starts the season with a conservative style and when his new players adapt to his systems we seem to open up and play more positive football. Not saying the second half of last season was particularly entertaining, but we were quite positive.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Since Coxy has gone the entertainment has certainly risen :D , but the points per game has slightly dropped from 1.11 to 1.08 :(

What is concerning is the points difference from us and the drop zone has fallen from 7 points to 1 point :shock:

I agree with Adam Murray who said after today's game I'd rather we play poor but win

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Winning is a football club's primary function, without that it's nothing.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Boring your opposition & punters to death in the hope of snatching a win may keep you up for a couple of seasons, it may even have a success over a limited period until you get sussed out & will eventually choke the lifeblood out of the club.

The flip side is going into games with a plan a, b, c etc and setting out to win games rather than not lose them, may lead to a patchy but ultimately more entertaining product & the model that every club gaining promotion or winning silverware this season will adopt.

Entertainment will lead to better results on & off the pitch in the long term.

The Cox way the faint hearted are already seem to be hankering after, IMO would have seen us lose todays game 1 or 2 nil with bog all created going forward in front of a gate of around 1,000 less than we got today.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:54 am

The tippy tippy football didn't produce the goals. The goals came direct from a corner and a hoof ball into the area which was headed down and fired home.

Something we didn't do enough today. On one occasion Raynes went up for a long throw, but the throw went short and they faffed about for ages and never got the cross in, lost the ball and then we were exposed with the centre half stranded up field.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:12 am

raspberry it then if Coxball is the raspberries you want yo watch save your money and watch it for free on any park on a Sunday.

Why do have some Stags fans fail to grasp that results and entertainment aren't mutually exclusive. With the notable exception of brand Cox ALL of Stags sides to have top 6 finishes in my lifetime have done it playing good football.

I swear some of you would be happy to see Murray fail just so you can say HOOF is best.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:42 am

part time pete wrote:The tippy tippy football didn't produce the goals. The goals came direct from a corner and a hoof ball into the area which was headed down and fired home.

Something we didn't do enough today. On one occasion Raynes went up for a long throw, but the throw went short and they faffed about for ages and never got the cross in, lost the ball and then we were exposed with the centre half stranded up field.

the second was a superb ball from clements i believe.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:54 am

There should have been a coaching clear out when cox went ,Most of the non league players have now gone but the coaching staff coxs mates remain, Both had no league experience coaching and it is showing now.
Poor positional sense and awareness showed up yesterday ,all three goals could have been avoided.
1ST he had two men on him but still managed a good cross.
2nd wakey wakey at the corner .
3rd Well say no more.
We all must have enjoyed that game could have been 6-4 to us ,When was the last time we said that?.
Yes at the end of the day we must turn the performances into points ,i believe it will happen.
We will never know if cox and his "the walking dead" football would have turned it round.
I dont think any of the teams above us play the coxie style .Exeter did not they were very good in possession ..
All IMO
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:21 am

Training is Murray's remit and he in the main is responsible for what happens on the training pitch, he orchestrates it all. To put jibes towards Cooper and Moore is wrong. Murray deals with the set up the way he wants the team to play etc, it's his baby now. Somehow he's got to get the team to be a SOLID UNIT with each player knowing the others strengths and weaknesses.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:25 am

daddycool wrote:There should have been a coaching clear out when cox went ,Most of the non league players have now gone but the coaching staff coxs mates remain, Both had no league experience coaching and it is showing now.
Poor positional sense and awareness showed up yesterday ,all three goals could have been avoided.
3rd Well say no more.

We all must have enjoyed that game could have been 6-4 to us ,When was the last time we said that?.
Yes at the end of the day we must turn the performances into points ,i believe it will happen.
We will never know if cox and his "the walking dead" football would have turned it round.
I dont think any of the teams above us play the coxie style .Exeter did not they were very good in possession ..
All IMO

Noteably these two goals were because of a Conference standard player who inexplicably is our Captain.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:30 am

Spiritater wrote:
daddycool wrote:There should have been a coaching clear out when cox went ,Most of the non league players have now gone but the coaching staff coxs mates remain, Both had no league experience coaching and it is showing now.
3rd Well say no more.

All IMO

Noteably these two goals were because of a Conference standard player who inexplicably is our Captain.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:34 am

daddycool wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
3rd Well say no more.

All IMO

I said MOST of the non league players had gone ? .Feel free to stick up for moore and coops because they will chat to you at the training ground ,but are they up to the standard i wonder
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:40 am

ParisStag wrote:Supporting the club you are born into has nothing to do with entertainment. I want my club to do well. When they do well I am happy. When they play well but lose, I'm gutted and take no consolation whatsoever from the performance. Results 100% and it shouldn't even be up for debate.

Spot on ! :mtfc:
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:10 am

Totally disagree paris,your win at all costs theory under the cox regime was strangling the club,support was dwindling,performances were woefull and more importantely the results wer'nt coming either,the vast majority of the teams ive watched over the years have set up pretty much the same way as we are doing now with varieing levels of success ill grant you but overall its been entertaining to watch including our only season in what is now the championship,cox served up non league drivel and far from being entertaining was driving the loyal support away,murrays way is the way forward and i believe he will see us safe
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:18 am

I'm not saying it's not better now. Having entertainment is an added bonus, but should never come at the expense of results. That's from a management perspective. From a supporting perspective, any fan who stops going because he doesn't like the style is supporting the club for the wrong reasons in my opinion. Style should never be a determining factor in supporting the club. For me it's tradition and family, for others it's going with their mates. Anyone who decides not to go because we play hoof, might as well just watch arsenal on sky sports. Not real fans.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:31 am

no,going to pull you up there as well,youd prefer us to be a exclusive bunch of 2.000 diehards watching ancient style hoof but having a few hard earnt results?sorry,but like most people....football is an entertainment business and has been proved that results can come from this style,yesterdays defeat was a result of some pretty sloppy defending but on the whole we did well,well enough I mignt suggest to comfortably pull away from trouble with the more games they play with each other,sorry paris but some of us dream of bigger crowds and higher standards,ive supported stags long enough to know there will always be up's and downs but don't want to see my team playing in front of the "we will turn up week in week out brigade"for ever and the day,under cox we were fast approaching that.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:32 pm

daddycool wrote:
daddycool wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
3rd Well say no more.

All IMO

I said MOST of the non league players had gone ? .Feel free to stick up for moore and coops because they will chat to you at the training ground ,but are they up to the standard i wonder

They don't chat to me at all they have job to do. As I say they have little input into the style, tactics or set up it's all Muzza's work, but feel free to find an excuse and lay the reason why we now lay one point above the drop zone at Moore and Coopers door because they worked for Cox :roll:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Luckily its all about opinions I think we are tactically lacking you dont
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:34 pm

I am 100% sure from what i saw yesterday that good results are just around the corner. We do need a little lady luck too.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:38 pm

If we play like that every week with a fully match fit Kee and Blair we will be OK, providing we don't make the stupid mistakes at the back that we saw yesterday.

If we should fall into the relegation zone then there are far more good teams in League One than anybody ever thought.

We will be OK.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:14 pm

daddycool wrote:Luckily its all about opinions I think we are tactically lacking you dont

No, you lay the blame at Coopers and Moore's door for the lack of tactical nous, when the tactics are not theirs.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Sneag wrote:I want my cake and l want to eat it.

We've had 3 years of good results (mostly) and I've been bored out of my skull for most of it.

We had nice big cake yesterday :D unfortunately we dropped it on the floor just as we were all about to dig in :(

:mansfield_till_i_die:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:28 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:
Sneag wrote:I want my cake and l want to eat it.

We've had 3 years of good results (mostly) and I've been bored out of my skull for most of it.

We had nice big cake yesterday :D unfortunately we dropped it on the floor just as we were all about to dig in :(

:mansfield_till_i_die:

5 second rule. I brushed the dog hair off and ate it anyway. :lol:
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:15 pm

hucknallstag wrote:no,going to pull you up there as well,youd prefer us to be a exclusive bunch of 2.000 diehards watching ancient style hoof but having a few hard earnt results?sorry,but like most people....football is an entertainment business and has been proved that results can come from this style,yesterdays defeat was a result of some pretty sloppy defending but on the whole we did well,well enough I mignt suggest to comfortably pull away from trouble with the more games they play with each other,sorry paris but some of us dream of bigger crowds and higher standards,ive supported stags long enough to know there will always be up's and downs but don't want to see my team playing in front of the "we will turn up week in week out brigade"for ever and the day,under cox we were fast approaching that.

you're making two different points and not really getting what i'm saying. why would you say i'd prefer us to be an exclusive bunch of 2000 watching hoof. i've just said that having style is better. i've never said i don't want us to attract more from the town's population. of course it's great if we can attract new fans, and yes our style of football effects that to some extent, but nothing brings in the fans like winning. If we sustain success, it won't matter how we play, although winning with style will obviously speed that up. that said, anyone who already calls themselves a fan, but stops going because of the style, is supporting the club for the wrong reasons.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:29 pm

ParisStag wrote:
hucknallstag wrote:no,going to pull you up there as well,youd prefer us to be a exclusive bunch of 2.000 diehards watching ancient style hoof but having a few hard earnt results?sorry,but like most people....football is an entertainment business and has been proved that results can come from this style,yesterdays defeat was a result of some pretty sloppy defending but on the whole we did well,well enough I mignt suggest to comfortably pull away from trouble with the more games they play with each other,sorry paris but some of us dream of bigger crowds and higher standards,ive supported stags long enough to know there will always be up's and downs but don't want to see my team playing in front of the "we will turn up week in week out brigade"for ever and the day,under cox we were fast approaching that.

you're making two different points and not really getting what i'm saying. why would you say i'd prefer us to be an exclusive bunch of 2000 watching hoof. i've just said that having style is better. i've never said i don't want us to attract more from the town's population. of course it's great if we can attract new fans, and yes our style of football effects that to some extent, but nothing brings in the fans like winning. If we sustain success, it won't matter how we play, although winning with style will obviously speed that up. that said, anyone who already calls themselves a fan, but stops going because of the style, is supporting the club for the wrong reasons.

:good_post:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum