{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Results v Entertainment

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Results v Entertainment

Postby AlanStag » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:35 am

It's the result for me, entertainment would be a luxury but I don't think the two go hand in hand very easily. Take the Fleetwood game last year for example, it was bloody entertaining but after listening to the game I was wazzed off we'd lost it I didn't give a toss whether it was a good game. Whereas Tuesday I came out of the ground happy we got three points, but I wouldn't say the game was entertaining.

I agree with Chander, when I'm watching a game with teams I don't care about I want entertainment as I don't care who wins it. Whereas when you're watching a side you support and are so close to, the result matters a hell of a lot more and that's all that matters.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby anthonyward91 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:32 am

Results, rather play so called hoof ball and be successful or even an average league 2 side than play like barca but be in the conference
anthonyward91
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby one f in mansfield » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:24 pm

what defines results , are we to assume by results you mean success and therefore promotion ?.

If the two options are entertaining football and finish mid table or hoofball and finish mid table then I will opt for being entertained . I will continue to do so until someone can guarantee me that football played differently will guarantee promotion.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:39 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:If we carry on playing our defensive style of play I can live with it but only if we are up near the top of the league. Tuesday night was so bad we spent most of the second half trying to figure out what three bright lights were on the horizon.

Perphaps we could have a side show of topless mud wrestling in the corner of the North Stand should the game not be up to scratch?

Instead we've probably got 2 bare chested fat blokes, wrestling each other over eating a molten Yorkie bar

Have to be results every time, but i do fully agree that if we have nothing to play for (eg -end of season mid table mediocrity) then we should mix it up. I'd also like to see us mix it up depending on who the opposition is and their style of play - seen some awesome games against teams that have come at us and we've spanked them back
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:44 pm

For us, the die hards, results are the main thing i guess...

We want to see our team win, and the entertainment side is a luxury. I knew what we were in for this year, but i still got my season ticket, given that its results that are important for me...

However, if this question is being asked as part of the wider 'why don't more people come watch us' debate then if you look at this from a more neutral fans point of view (ie the kind who comes every now and then, when finances / life make it possible), then they probably want entertainment over results. I'm sure a more casual supporter would get more overall enjoyment / feeling of value for money from a thrilling 3-3 draw, then they would have on Tuesday night for example.

For a manager, its a results based business. I don't blame Cox for doing what he does. If there is blame then its the chairman for appointing a hoofy manager. Cox should stick to his guns, he won't get sacked for dull football, but would get sacked if results dried up again and everyone turned on him.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby weststandstag » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Newport played some decent stuff the other night and probably deserved a point but playing nice tippy tappy car park football isn't getting them results right now.

Maybe they weren't the best side I've seen but they looked like the home team for most of the game whereas we attempted to catch em on the break time after time.

Cox will be found out come October / November as we were last season and that's when he needs to earn his crust!
Appleton at Oxford has stated that he knew what kind of tactics we would play before Saturday - so it's clear that last season (& before) he created quite a reputation as a strong outfit with a very direct style of play - and is carrying into this season

Clucas leaving would only add to that defensive, long ball, direct reputation
"We can effect this league"
weststandstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby mattstag14 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:28 pm

weststandstag wrote:Newport played some decent stuff the other night and probably deserved a point but playing nice tippy tappy car park football isn't getting them results right now.

Maybe they weren't the best side I've seen but they looked like the home team for most of the game whereas we attempted to catch em on the break time after time.

Cox will be found out come October / November as we were last season and that's when he needs to earn his crust!
Appleton at Oxford has stated that he knew what kind of tactics we would play before Saturday - so it's clear that last season (& before) he created quite a reputation as a strong outfit with a very direct style of play - and is carrying into this season

When did they play decent stuff? If anything they hoofed it just as much as us if not more.
Forget Messi or Ronaldo I'd rather have good honest boys in my team.
mattstag14
Manager
Manager

Postby weststandstag » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:07 pm

We were on the backfoot for most of the second half and although they didn't really test Studer, I think they had more of the ball throughout

Opinions Matt :-)
"We can effect this league"
weststandstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:16 pm

weststandstag wrote:We were on the backfoot for most of the second half and although they didn't really test Studer, I think they had more of the ball throughout

Yes , 49%/51% possession according to BBC website.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby mattstag14 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:28 pm

weststandstag wrote:We were on the backfoot for most of the second half and although they didn't really test Studer, I think they had more of the ball throughout

But they didn't play football they kept lumping it forward. We sat back a bit but they didn't play any football.
Forget Messi or Ronaldo I'd rather have good honest boys in my team.
mattstag14
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:50 pm

100% results for me. All managers need to get results otherwise they are soon out of a job. They are also given less time to build a team and are expected to hit the ground running. Dave Smith and Ian Greaves probably would have been sacked much earlier as Stags manager if they were managing today.

We played some very entertaining football under Stuart Watkiss in 2002-2003 but he was sacked by December. I can't remember too many fans coming to his defence even though Keith Curle had been sitting like a vulture in the stands.

One of the best passing teams at Field Mill last season was Bristol Rovers ...and look what happened to them.

Perhaps Eggy can add an extra line to his post match surveys so we can mark the matches out of 10 for enjoyment/entertainment.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Jamie wrote:For us, some of the die hards, results are the main thing i guess...

We want to see our team win, and the entertainment side is a luxury. I knew what we were in for this year, but i still got my season ticket, given that its results that are important for me...

However, if this question is being asked as part of the wider 'why don't more people come watch us' debate then if you look at this from a more neutral fans point of view (ie the kind who comes every now and then, when finances / life make it possible), then they probably want entertainment over results. I'm sure a more casual supporter would get more overall enjoyment / feeling of value for money from a thrilling 3-3 draw, then they would have on Tuesday night for example.

For a manager, its a results based business. I don't blame Cox for doing what he does. If there is blame then its the chairman for appointing a hoofy manager. Cox should stick to his guns, he won't get sacked for dull football, but would get sacked if results dried up again and everyone turned on him.

sorted that for you
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 pm

weststandstag wrote:Newport played some decent stuff the other night and probably deserved a point but playing nice tippy tappy car park football isn't getting them results right now.

That's just it though mate, they all know how we'll play, but stopping us winning games is a different matter, as Appleton & Edinburgh have already found out.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 pm

convertmel wrote:If it's entertainment guaranteed you want then you are watching the wrong thing, sport by definition is unpredictable , go to a gig or cinema if you want to be sure of entertainment . I've sat through some dire games but as long as the players are trying I'm good with it, I can bear being outclassed by better players but not by head-dropping by a team..
I've heard a lot of people say they wouldn't go whilst we were in the conference, most of em are now saying the "entertainment " or lack of that stops them going.

And even then you're not guaranteed it. I've been in the cinema a few times where I've either fallen asleep because the film was crap or people have walked out halfway through because they don't like what's on.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Dan wrote:
convertmel wrote:If it's entertainment guaranteed you want then you are watching the wrong thing, sport by definition is unpredictable , go to a gig or cinema if you want to be sure of entertainment . I've sat through some dire games but as long as the players are trying I'm good with it, I can bear being outclassed by better players but not by head-dropping by a team..
I've heard a lot of people say they wouldn't go whilst we were in the conference, most of em are now saying the "entertainment " or lack of that stops them going.

And even then you're not guaranteed it. I've been in the cinema a few times where I've either fallen asleep because the film was crap or people have walked out halfway through because they don't like what's on.

Likewise I've been to some raspberries gigs. :ugeek:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Stupid question, nobody wants their team to lose, that is a given, but I happen to hate the way we are playing at the moment and honestly believe that by playing a more controlled game we would have better results. Better football would also increase the gates, and encourage better players to want to join the club, so this entertainment versus results is a really pathetic dichotomy, if you get the performance right the results will follow and clubs that play hoofball only get so far before they tumble. And they don't generate very much of the loyalty needed to pick themselves up when they do crumble - eg MTFC`s gates in the last 4 years in the conference.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:32 pm

garlic wrote:Stupid question, nobody wants their team to lose, that is a given, but I happen to hate the way we are playing at the moment and honestly believe that by playing a more controlled game we would have better results. Better football would also increase the gates, and encourage better players to want to join the club, so this entertainment versus results is a really pathetic dichotomy, if you get the performance right the results will follow and clubs that play hoofball only get so far before they tumble. And they don't generate very much of the loyalty needed to pick themselves up when they do crumble - eg MTFC`s gates in the last 4 years in the conference.

Didn't do Wimbledon any harm. Or Cambridge under John Beck, they were one game from the Premier League.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Theres no reason as to why we cant start incorporating more entertaining football,

Like people have said it will do for the 2000 die hards but wont attract the other 1000 who want to see some entertainment for their 22 quid the fork out every other week.

if the clubs serious about becoming self sustainable or at least a bit more self reliant it cant rely on or hope hoof ball will see us getting 4500 fans in the league above when were known bully boys through out the football league. Its not an image to be proud of imo even though we may be out the conference from the looks of things we also had the best budget in the conference but served up some of the least entertaining football.

We have the defensive metal to survive in the league now lets add that attacking skill we desperately seek to bring the entertainment value up.

COYS
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Hard to say, i was sat at the newport game just thinking how awful it was to watch (i grew up first watching the teams around the late 90's and early 2000's when it was entertaining and result worthy) was forever wishing to see us knock it about, we've got the players to do so, but at the end i was satisfied with the win and three points, kind of like just looking at the result online when id missed the game due to work, the result was good and the performance left me disappointed. (A reason many won't go, its not pretty to watch.)

I'd say you can't split the 100% in two, its got to be 100% entertainment with the result included in the entertainment. A dull game and three points doesnt really make me bothered about going every week. (Which I'm sorted of gutted about being away at uni for most of the season but if we play like that and win, ill be happy about us winning and less bothered about missing games) its a hard one to describe properly (i really do love watching us)
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:31 pm

I love watching us aswell but usually about 3:05pm on a Saturday afternoon i'm wondering why I didn't just stay in the pub!
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 am

Dan wrote:

That's just it though mate, they all know how we'll play, but stopping us winning games is a different matter, as Appleton & Edinburgh have already found out.

Exactly the "being found out" line comes out every year but it's a load of crap. Whatever style you play teams will scout you and know what to expect to the game, folks know what's coming against Barcelona over the years but it doesn't mean you can stop it.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:23 am

ParisStag wrote:Supporting the club you are born into has nothing to do with entertainment. I want my club to do well. When they do well I am happy. When they play well but lose, I'm gutted and take no consolation whatsoever from the performance. Results 100% and it shouldn't even be up for debate.

well said absolutely results 100%!
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:59 am

I find I'm content with 100% effort.

Results matter of course but we can't expect 3 points every game. So long as the games we lose/draw we tried our hardest and it doesn't happen too often (the results) then I am happy.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:16 pm

I find as I get older Gazza I'm the same I only truly find myself irked when I feel they haven't given their all.

Whoever said earlier 0% results are you kidding?? You would turn up and get beat every week to play pretty football?? That's just bizarre.

Tuesday night wasn't good but I can say hand on heart I enjoyed it because of the effort and commitment the lads put in and we WON.

At this level we will play better and lose and play worse and lose and 90% of the time the difference will be attitude and application.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Pretty simple really, the rubbish sides that can only play rubbish football usually end up near the bottom the sides that play attacking, entertaining football are usually the ones hiring an open top bus in May. The three sides that won automatic promotion all played good football, Dale playing the most entertaining of the three. Even under Cox during that great run towards winning the title, we played attacking football - yes it wasn't exactly fluid passing, but it was positive.

I'm off to the Dog & Duck tomorrow in the expectation of being bored rigid and bitterly disappointed with what I see, eight at the back, the occasional pass to a team mate and who knows a shot on target before half time. However, hopefully I will leave the ground happy with the result which will lessen the pain of witnessing the performance. It's sad when you go to watch your team in the almost certain knowledge that watching them will make your eyes bleed.

So, results over entertainment yes, but they not mutually exclusive and most of the successful sides do both - win and entertain - that should be our aim.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum