{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Results v Entertainment

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Results v Entertainment

Postby Sneag » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:21 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Sneag wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
Sneag wrote:I want my cake and l want to eat it.

We've had 3 years of good results (mostly) and I've been bored out of my skull for most of it.

Sneag

Plenty of cake this season, I'm podged :D

Results & Entertainment :D Long may it continue :D

:coys:

I never undetstood the thinking that equated better football with poor results.

Guess it depends on your viewpoint, i suppose Sneag?

Certainly in the dark days of BSP we saw plenty of games where we just weren't gritty and physical enough - we were buffeted around like a pair of Kangas-danglers on a trampoline. Fully agree that 'better' football can generate results, but better needs to be more than just 'hand-shandy eye-candy' or it doesn't guarantee anything in my book.

There's a place and time for every style of football. We played like we had to in the BSP (imo), and we're all 'more than glad' those days and tactics are behind us ;)

I agree to an extent, but when Crawley & Fleetwood were smashing the BSP they played good football in the process. I do think the football got markedly worse after promotion but maybe the desire to get out of the BSP made us more results focussed.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:18 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:Of course, in an ideal world we would all (or most) like to watch good entertaining fast flowing winning football BUT how would you split 100% between Results and Entertainment ?

Prior to being relegated to the Conference I would have said 50% Results 50% Entertainment.

But after watching non-league football for 5 years I would now say 90% Results 10% Entertainment

My change in percentages reflects a fear of going back to non-league football, however the longer we stay in the league the more the percentage would change back to the 50%/50%.

:mansfield_till_i_die:

I started this thread 4 years ago and it's quite apt today.

Now we've been back in the League 5 years I've returned to 50% Results 50% Entertainment ;)

We've usually got the Entertainment, just need a few better Results ;)

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Football is all about results.

If we win - we are happy.

If we lose or draw we are not happy - regardless of the performance.

I would take winning 1-0 every week.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Entertainment went ahead and then sat back. The inevitable happened and results equalised in time added on.
Final score 1-1
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Vice President wrote:Football is all about results.

If we win - we are happy.

If we lose or draw we are not happy - regardless of the performance.

I would take winning 1-0 every week.

I agree results is the prime factor, but (for me) entertainment is not far behind. Entertainment brings the fans in, which swells the coffers and makes the club thrive.

I can recall a spell under Curle when we won 1-0 frequently. We'd score after 20 or 30 odd mins and fans would say that was the match over and want to go home :lol:
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Results v Entertainment - it’s a bit like choosing between a really hot stripper or going home with a chubby girl after last orders???

Got to be results every time but we all need to be entertained to brighten up the days.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:22 pm

I think the first away win of the season is vital tomorrow. We need to kick on and get 3 points to boost confidence within the team. However, this will be a very difficult game on every level.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum