{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

End of season review 2013/14

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

End of season review 2013/14

Postby mattstag14 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Taken from TFF. Now the seasons over and we've done ok overall. Just thought it'd be good to get everyone's final thoughts on the following.

Best player: Ryan Tafazolli. Been absolutely immense for us and one that has a huge future at a higher level.

Worst Player: That honour can go to Calvin Andrew. I know he scored that goal that we will all remember but overall he was garbage.

Most Improved player: Ritchie Sutton. He has improved so much and the better quality in league football has brought out the best in him. Very reliable and a player valued now I'd say by the majority of supporters.

Best Match: Has to be the 3-0 home win against Rochdale. Due to the way we performed as we more than matched the at the time league leader.s Special mention for the 1-0 against Chesterfield which was a really well ground out win. Also a mention for the 5-4 loss at a Fleetwood. I know it's horrible to lose but from a neutral point of view if was entertaining.

Worst Match: Take your pick. Rochdale away was shameful but the home match at Accrington gets my vote. To lose 3-2 by conceding 2 goals in stoppage time was disgraceful.

Best Goal: Tough one Hutchinsons v Portsmouth at home was special as was Stevensons at Portsmouth. Daniels free kick at Morecambe was also excellent.

Best Opponent: Nobody really stood out in all honesty Bury and Hartlepool both made us look daft at home and I thought Scunthorpe weren't too bad. Over the two games I'd go for Scunthorpe.

Worst Opponent: For me Accrington. The fact they beat us at home was shameful as I thought they were atrocious. What that makes us well we all know. Away from home I thought they were poor as well and if they hadn't got the penalty they would have never scored past us.

Manager Verdict: This could be interesting. Well overall I think Cox achieved his objective of maintaining our league status which was the primary objective. He's made lots of mistakes transfer wise and he cannot make the same mistakes next season or he will be in a spot of bother. Must get a goal scorer.

Overall: Happy enough with the overall outcome of the season I think the manner in which we got there was the reason we all might be slightly annoyed. To go 13 games without a win is something that cannot be repeated again.

Expectations for next season: Hoping we can improve again and with a few good signings and a bit of luck and more consistency and we could be looking at a play-off place. However equally a load of poor signings and bad luck and we could easily get relegated. Hopefully we will improve on this season and have a better season and no relegation fears.
Forget Messi or Ronaldo I'd rather have good honest boys in my team.
mattstag14
Manager
Manager

Re: End of season review 2013/14

Postby eggy » Tue May 20, 2014 5:12 pm

Agree with most of that.

Junior's free kick was my Goal of the Season for the sheer accuracy and power of it.
Worst opponent? For where they finished in the table Chesterfield were dreadful when we played them. Overall Accrington were probably the worst though.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby tiptop » Tue May 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Expectations for next season: Hoping we can improve again and with a few good signings and a bit of luck and more consistency and we could be looking at a play-off place. However equally a load of poor signings and bad luck and we could easily get relegated. Hopefully we will improve on this season and have a better season and no relegation fears.

Good read and i agree with most of it, the last bit is very interesting and id like to see quality signings now...
Bury, Northampton newport have signed good players and are spending..
So to get season tickets sales going, and create a buzz around one call we must act now, there is no excuse because jr said 3 weeks ago he wants promotion and quality signings...

Im not cox or jr bashing, but id like too see taff and clucas given better deals so we can sell them for extra income,we need to find good quality youngsters to sell at a profit..
tiptop
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby luke » Tue May 20, 2014 6:29 pm

eggy wrote:Agree with most of that.

Junior's free kick was my Goal of the Season for the sheer accuracy and power of it.
Worst opponent? For where they finished in the table Chesterfield were dreadful when we played them. Overall Accrington were probably the worst though.

Eggy, don't let em see you write that. We were allegedly the worst ever team to go the Proact if you believe some of the bananas you hear coming from the other side of the motorway.

Matthew, very good analysis, hard to disagree with any of it TBF.
luke
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Tue May 20, 2014 7:40 pm

luke wrote:
eggy wrote:Agree with most of that.

Eggy, don't let em see you write that. We were allegedly the worst ever team to go the Proact if you believe some of the bananas you hear coming from the other side of the motorway.

Matthew, very good analysis, hard to disagree with any of it TBF.

I'll settle for being the worst team to have a 100% record at the Prolapse Stadium. :D
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 20, 2014 8:40 pm

decent review. Did you write it Matt?
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby mattstag14 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:decent review. Did you write it Matt?

Yes Martin all my own thoughts.
Forget Messi or Ronaldo I'd rather have good honest boys in my team.
mattstag14
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Wed May 21, 2014 4:41 pm

mattstag14 wrote:Taken from TFF. Now the seasons over and we've done ok overall. Just thought it'd be good to get everyone's final thoughts on the following.

Best player: Ryan Tafazolli. Been absolutely immense for us and one that has a huge future at a higher level.

Worst Player: That honour can go to Calvin Andrew. I know he scored that goal that we will all remember but overall he was garbage.

Most Improved player: Ritchie Sutton. He has improved so much and the better quality in league football has brought out the best in him. Very reliable and a player valued now I'd say by the majority of supporters.

Best Match: Has to be the 3-0 home win against Rochdale. Due to the way we performed as we more than matched the at the time league leader.s Special mention for the 1-0 against Chesterfield which was a really well ground out win. Also a mention for the 5-4 loss at a Fleetwood. I know it's horrible to lose but from a neutral point of view if was entertaining.

Worst Match: Take your pick. Rochdale away was shameful but the home match at Accrington gets my vote. To lose 3-2 by conceding 2 goals in stoppage time was disgraceful.

Best Goal: Tough one Hutchinsons v Portsmouth at home was special as was Stevensons at Portsmouth. Daniels free kick at Morecambe was also excellent.

Best Opponent: Nobody really stood out in all honesty Bury and Hartlepool both made us look daft at home and I thought Scunthorpe weren't too bad. Over the two games I'd go for Scunthorpe.

Worst Opponent: For me Accrington. The fact they beat us at home was shameful as I thought they were atrocious. What that makes us well we all know. Away from home I thought they were poor as well and if they hadn't got the penalty they would have never scored past us.

Manager Verdict: This could be interesting. Well overall I think Cox achieved his objective of maintaining our league status which was the primary objective. He's made lots of mistakes transfer wise and he cannot make the same mistakes next season or he will be in a spot of bother. Must get a goal scorer.

Overall: Happy enough with the overall outcome of the season I think the manner in which we got there was the reason we all might be slightly annoyed. To go 13 games without a win is something that cannot be repeated again.

Worst refereeing: Darren Drysdale at home to York City. Incredible that he reffed more than a handful games in the Championship. Say no more.

Best refereeing: Over to you.............
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum