{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sheffield United game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sheffield United game

Postby lifestags » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 am

Angol has scored 4 goals this pre season. More then anybody.

Not just that though he has impressed me every time I have watched him this pre season. He looks sharper then last season.

He is never going to be a striker that wins headers but when the ball is at his feet he is decent.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:23 am

Angol looks stronger and more aggressive, please God. Butcher looks behind the pace. Benning looks very aggressive!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:36 am

Jamie wrote:First time I've seen us this season. Some promising things today.

Jury still out on Walker and Davies, but some decent moments first half from them.

Preston and Bishop looked pretty solid. CJ, Mal, White and Pearce all did well and looked sharp already.

Mellis did ok but the real star for me was Khan who looks a great prospect.

Of the subs who came on, Angol is just Angol. He was shown up by the young lads work rate when he came on. Atko and Butch, meh... OSJ looked tricky, full of confidence and sharp though.

All in all a good performance. We did well first half and looked the better more hungry side much of the second half.

I like that we are keeping the ball well and in the opponents half. My only concerns are making that possession count and creating chances from it and that we are most definitely a centre half short. The 3 today looked ok but we need competition for those places.

Great work rate and a well deserved clean sheet.
Players have differing styles. Judge him on goals.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:41 am

lifestags wrote:Angol has scored 4 goals this pre season. More then anybody.

Not just that though he has impressed me every time I have watched him this pre season. He looks sharper then last season.

He is never going to be a striker that wins headers but when the ball is at his feet he is decent.

Add to that he had the best strike rate of anybody last season, he shouldn't be written off by anybody.
We've all seen strikers who appear to be lazy but score goals, I'll take the latter option.

As has already been said, that's two very encouraging pre-season games against Championship opposition who struggled against our style of play coupled with a high work rate. If we can take that into the league we will do pretty well in my opinion.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:46 am

I fail to see what some of the more judgemental supporters are seeing at the moment.

I think Angols looking clever and potent at the moment. The only player this pre season who hasn’t really got going is Tyler Walker but I believe he will come good.

All the transfer listed players have performed well as well as players like OSJ and the young lads.

TBH everyone’s going on about Graham but I beleive the one we will see more of this season is Gibbens. When he’s playing you don’t realise you have an 18 year old playing centre back.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:57 am

Some drongo was actually saying that Walker was a waste of money when walking away from Field Mill yesterday.

I really do despair at some people. July 20th, fourth preseason friendly and a pilchard - in those type of shorts that go all the way to your shins, I might add - has written a lad off. Bravo fella, you're a credit.

I thought Walker looked neat and good on the ball. He's probably a lad that will thrive once understandings have been established. All of the new signings looked an improvement on last season to me - admittedly over a short period in a preseason friendly match.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:22 am

lifestags wrote:Angol has scored 4 goals this pre season. More then anybody.

:) Thank you and your friends for the invite and letting me tag along with you having a few beers after the match :)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:36 am

I thought Walker did well yesterday. He looks surprisingly good in the air and didn’t give the ball away much, just kept it simple. He will be good for us this season. Butcher looked sharper than last season which isn’t difficult tbf. I now wonder . that Scottish two hat was doing. These players seem much sharper this pre season!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:55 am

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?t ... 986/page-3

Blades views on the game. Wilder very complimentary.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:28 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:55 pm

I like Chris Wilder. He is 100% correct on yesterday’s performance of both teams.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:02 pm

One of the "laziest" looking strikers we've had is probably Iyseden Christie. He did alright.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Big season forBenning in my opinion. At his age, this is really the last chance to go on and get picked up by a higher end club and play football st a decent level.

His injury set him back, at the time he was put bets player
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Agree on Walker, way to early to judge.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on Angol, who knows. I've only seen him yesterday this season and not in other PSF games but we've all seen what the lad is all about already.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:10 pm

gazza1988 wrote:One of the "laziest" looking strikers we've had is probably Iyseden Christie. He did alright.

When Angol scores the goals that he did and excites the fans like he did, then yeah he can take a breather...

To even mention Iysedens name is ridiculous.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:13 pm

http://ball-sup.blogspot.com/2018/07/th ... jacob.html

Blades fan's view. He loves Jacob Mellis.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:27 pm

gazza1988 wrote:http://ball-sup.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-ballad-of-jacob.html

Blades fan's view. He loves Jacob Mellis.

Hoping Mellis will be a big player for us in this formation, when he gets in the right positions he is very good for this level as he’s so comfortable on the ball and always looks to go forward. Having somebody like Bishop behind him should allow him to play his game now, whereas last year we didn’t have a proper defensive midfielder all season.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Jamie wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:One of the "laziest" looking strikers we've had is probably Iyseden Christie. He did alright.

When Angol scores the goals that he did and excites the fans like he did, then yeah he can take a breather...

To even mention Iysedens name is ridiculous.

Does it matter how goals are scored?

I was pointing out that Iyseden was regularly observed to be lazy. Never said Angol is better and never said Iyseden was rubbish, just an observation on perception of both players.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:25 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:I like Chris Wilder. He is 100% correct on yesterday’s performance of both teams.

True enough.

I like David Flitcroft. He deserves a bit of luck early season.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:31 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:I like Chris Wilder. He is 100% correct on yesterday’s performance of both teams.

True enough.

I like David Flitcroft. He deserves a bit of luck early season.

I like DF too.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:34 pm

thought we looked miles fitter and quicker than last year, and the football we played was entertaining to watch despite not being able to get a goal. Davies looks like an absolute work horse and made it look easy when he left 2 or 3 Sheffield defenders on their arris just walking around them, good replacement for hemmings so far. Khan looked good, not amazing but you can see a good player in the making. CJ looked very good in his position, I was a bit sceptical before of his defending but he did well yesterday. Preston also looks like a solid signing, feel like we're too short on defenders though and could do with at least 1 more addition.

Still early days and I don't want to get carried away but if we can play like we did today and against derby then we should rip some of these league two teams to bit although we all know anything can happen in 90 minutes in L2. It's looking promising! On a sidenote it was nice to hear 'david flitcrofts barmy army' being chanted, hopefully most have forgot (or have moved on) about his poor start last season.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 pm

I think we should hold on to Digby, he can do a job anywhere in defence.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:56 am

diablo wrote:Well done today lads , a good workout..Angol was his usual Clueless disinterested self..by bother with him?..there has to be better out there

Here we go again......leading scorer in pre season, and still this :roll:

He's never going to be a running up and down the pitch type player which some seem to think is the be all and end all. Clueless and disinterested? Give your head a shake. Try getting behind the lad.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:08 am

Hon Sec wrote:I think we should hold on to Digby, he can do a job anywhere in defence.

Spot on. He’s never let us down, thought he was quite unlucky last season as when he played ghe generally played well
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:56 am

I actually thought Angol put it about a bit more, but the handball? was stupid. I think Digby has great potential. Benning is a lot more agressive than I realised. Butcher doesn`t look bothered or is past it? Silly error by Conrad.
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum