{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bennett joins Posh after asking to leave Stags

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bennett joins Posh after asking to leave Stags

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 am

oldweststander wrote:Evans had every right to tap up Bennett after January 1st.

Players can sign a pre agreement following January 1st of the year their contract expires.

So Evans has not committed any footballing offence bht emphasised some folks low opinion of him.

That's football, however distasteful it may be.

So what did evans say to bennett?

'Sign up for peterborough now lad, i wont let anyone know and ill see you there at the start of next season'
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Players can sign a pre agreement following January 1st of the year their contract expires.

So Evans has not committed any footballing offence bht emphasised some folks low opinion of him.

So what did evans say to bennett?

'Sign up for peterborough now lad, i wont let anyone know and ill see you there at the start of next season'

Or j ust spoke on phone as soon he got Peterborough job. Simples
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 am

" Do, your flipping job! "
PRL13
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PRL13 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 am

That`s not what he said, I put!
PRL13
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The One » Thu May 17, 2018 2:11 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/may/interview--bennetts-first-interview-after-joining-posh/

Hope goes pear shaped for him and fat boy
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 am

He probably hasn't, but he seems to push the boundaries. Surely in January he was employed by MTFC and should have had their best interests at heart. If he really rated Bennett why didn't he get him on a new contract?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby scottyd281 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:52 am

Its typical Evans transfer policy, he will buy a huge squad he's done it everywhere he has gone. I actually don't think Bennet will be first choice. Good luck to the lad, but not to Evans. I reckon he will be sacked by end of Nov due to league position oh and the excuse, takes time to gel :)
scottyd281
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu May 17, 2018 8:23 am

scottyd281 wrote:Its typical Evans transfer policy, he will buy a huge squad he's done it everywhere he has gone. I actually don't think Bennet will be first choice. Good luck to the lad, but not to Evans. I reckon he will be sacked by end of Nov due to league position oh and the excuse, takes time to gel :)

when Brendan rogers leaves Celtic I bet fry and 'dmac' will start sweating
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 am

Amber Andy wrote:

He probably hasn't, but he seems to push the boundaries. Surely in January he was employed by MTFC and should have had their best interests at heart. If he really rated Bennett why didn't he get him on a new contract?

If you don’t think that that scenario is massively unethical then you need to give your head a wobble.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 am

[quote="James"]Not bothered in the slightest. Think Bennett is vastly over-rated by the majority of our fan base.

Same goes for Harry Kane and the Spurs fans. Long live the minority.
stag861
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 am

I don't blame Rhys Bennett. He should have been offered a new contract back in December/January. JR and Carolyn need to keep a close eye on the players' contracts and not trust the manager. Rhys Bennett and Alex MacDonald should have signed new contracts at the same time as Danny Rose. We'll just have to see now whether David Flitcroft can do better than Steve Evans when it comes to signing players. It will make or break him like most managers.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu May 17, 2018 9:41 am

Of course Evans actions were unethical, that what it says on the tin, but it's football, all managers are similar. Don't like it but that's life.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu May 17, 2018 10:53 am

oldweststander wrote:Of course Evans actions were unethical, that what it says on the tin, but it's football, all managers are similar. Don't like it but that's life.

But some take it to the limit.

I think more will come out in the next few weeks.

I'm curious to know who was the alleged disruptive influence in the squad and more importantly why?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I don't blame Rhys Bennett. He should have been offered a new contract back in December/January. JR and Carolyn need to keep a close eye on the players' contracts and not trust the manager. Rhys Bennett and Alex MacDonald should have signed new contracts at the same time as Danny Rose. We'll just have to see now whether David Flitcroft can do better than Steve Evans when it comes to signing players. It will make or break him like most managers.

Again, just my supposition, but you could read the January contract renewals as a veiled sign of Evans future intentions?

Renew those players he might want here but not at Posh if he stayed, don't renew the decent ones he might pilfer assuming he leaves, but also don't renew those he wouldn't want next season if the Posh job fell through and he stayed here.

Makes a big assumption Evans had half an idea about the Posh job a month before he left. Probably completely wrong, but I can well imagine SE chatting to Posh & planning this eventuality weeks before he left.
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu May 17, 2018 11:20 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I don't blame Rhys Bennett. He should have been offered a new contract back in December/January. JR and Carolyn need to keep a close eye on the players' contracts and not trust the manager. Rhys Bennett and Alex MacDonald should have signed new contracts at the same time as Danny Rose. We'll just have to see now whether David Flitcroft can do better than Steve Evans when it comes to signing players. It will make or break him like most managers.

Again, just my supposition, but you could read the January contract renewals as a veiled sign of Evans future intentions?

Renew those players he might want here but not at Posh if he stayed, don't renew the decent ones he might pilfer assuming he leaves, but also don't renew those he wouldn't want next season if the Posh job fell through and he stayed here.

Makes a big assumption Evans had half an idea about the Posh job a month before he left. Probably completely wrong, but I can well imagine SE chatting to Posh & planning this eventuality weeks before he left.

Clearly Evans has signed Bennett because he knew he was available for free, my opinion of him could not get lower, but I agree that ultimately, like with Taf, it is our fault as we should have tied him down to a new deal. Clearly it is not the managers fault so criticism of him was very misplaced.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:59 am

Peterborough agree fee with Stevenage for striker Matty Godden. #pufc #StevenageFC
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Thu May 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Actually oldweststander, for domestic transfers between two clubs in England you can only sign them on a pre-contract a month before their existing contract expires (which is usually June 30th for Football League contracts)
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Apparently it was David Flitcroft's decision to release Rhys Bennett. He just did not want him. We'll just have to see now whether David Flitcroft can bring in someone better.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Apparently it was David Flitcroft's decision to release Rhys Bennett. He just did not want him. We'll just have to see now whether David Flitcroft can bring in someone better.

Not according to Rhys, it was he who told DF he didn't want to stay:

The 26-year-old, who played 97 times times for the Stags, has signed a two-year contract and revealed he had told Mansfield manager David Flitcroft he wanted to leave the One Call Stadium.
“I had a few offers but once the opportunity to work with a gaffer that knows me came up, I was delighted to come here,” he said.
“Once I made it clear to the (Mansfield) manager that I wanted to go and play in League One to further my career it was pretty simple.”
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 pm

The story I'm hearing from inside the club Rob was that it was David Flitcroft's decision to release Rhys Bennett. He did not want him and no new contract was offered to him. The press release on the retained list was therefore correct. He was released. I think Flitcroft's made the wrong decision but we'll see if he signs a better centre half. Football is all about opinions as we know on here. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu May 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Apparently it was David Flitcroft's decision to release Rhys Bennett. He just did not want him. We'll just have to see now whether David Flitcroft can bring in someone better.

The 26-year-old, who played 97 times times for the Stags, has signed a two-year contract and revealed he had told Mansfield manager David Flitcroft he wanted to leave the One Call Stadium.
“I had a few offers but once the opportunity to work with a gaffer that knows me came up, I was delighted to come here,” he said.
“Once I made it clear to the (Mansfield) manager that I wanted to go and play in League One to further my career it was pretty simple.”

Agree Rob, this was beyond anything the current gaffer could do.

My earlier post was trying to figure out how much premonition Evans had in this whole affair and if he started to engineer this move way back at the end of Jan. The gap between contract renewals and SE leaving is probably too great for it to be feasible, but it fits his underhand style
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu May 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Bennett should have been offered a contract whilst SE was here. Like others I find that odd.

Thank heavens CJ was offered a contract by DF otherwise he may have been a Peterborough player by now.

Of course we await to see if Macca signs his new contract offered under DF. Last we heard things were going well. Gone quiet since then, so is SE having talks with Macca? I wouldn't be at all surprised.

And yes that would be all above board. However, so would us putting a large transfer fee for Macca.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Rob wrote:

This matches up with why Rhys himself told me. I had a chat with him and he knew from his agent he had opportunities to move up the league, and felt now was the time to do so. Had there been no league one offers, he'd still be with us now, with a new contract.

He did also say (they all probably say it) that he has loved his time here and felt this place has been a stepping stone for his career, after dropping down the leagues.
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

I'd like to blame Steve Evans for Rhys Bennett leaving the Stags but apparently it was David Flitcroft's decision. Just did not want him.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum