{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2017

24th April 2017 22:40

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Luton Town
Potter 23. Hylton pen 51
Attendance: 4632 (892 from Luton)

Date: 17 April 2017

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town were held to a 1-1 draw by Luton Town in a tight game this afternoon that keeps the Stags right in the play-off mix. Mansfield took the lead on 23 minutes when Mal Benning’s cross was headed back by George Taft to Alfie Potter whose first shot was blocked before he volleyed in the rebound. It was a similar incident to the chances he missed at Wycombe, and was Potter’s first goal for Mansfield. A minute before the goal Mansfield could have had a penalty when George Taft went down off the ball from a corner as he tangled with Scott Cuthbert, and Krystian Pearce headed the ball towards the left post where Danny Hylton cleared off the line. It’s rare for referees to give penalties for that sort of incident off the ball. Luton had a penalty shout of their own when Pelly Ruddock blasted the ball at Rhys Bennett from point blank range, but the referee ignored their claims, presumably thinking that Bennett couldn’t do anything about it. The Stags were deservedly ahead at the break. After Benning fired a shot just over the bar early in the second half, Luton were level from a soft, but correctly awarded penalty. James Justin’s throw-in found Hylton on the byline who tried to knock the ball past George Taft along the byline inside the area, and Taft unnecessarily stuck his arm out and deflected the ball away. It was a certain penalty, but so unnecessary and costly. Hylton took the penalty himself and chipped it straight down the middle as Kean dived to his right. Luton were the better side for a spell after that as Glen Rea knocked the ball over from 4 yards from Alan Sheehan’s ball across, and Hylton headed just over the bar after great play from substitute and former Stags player Ollie Palmer on the right. Then Hylton headed wide from a corner, but it Mansfield who finished the game stronger, as Alex MacDonald fired in a wonderful shot from 25 yards that the keeper tipped wide, and from the resulting corner Rhys Bennett headed just over the bar. Probably a fair result in the end, but gutting to drop 2 points on the basis of an unnecessary penalty. The Stags had plenty of possession during the game, but didn’t carve out many efforts on goal despite good approach play. Nevertheless not a bad performance at all against the 4th best team in the league and the Stags remain right in the hunt for a play-off spot, just 2 points behind 7th place. It’s exciting to be in this position and the Stags go to Stevenage next Saturday knowing that a win would move them one point behind Stevenage and probably very close to that top 7 with two more games to go after that. Some good performances particularly from the defence, and Alex Macdonald on a substitute for the final half hour, really caught the eye.

Mansfield made one change from the side that won at Wycombe on Good Friday. Shaq Coulthirst came in for Matt Green up front. Green picked up a knock at Wycombe and didn’t train on Saturday but did train on Sunday and Evans explained that Coulthirst was picked ahead of Green having played well for Peterborough against Luton before. So Evans continued with three central defenders and with White and Benning at wing-back. CJ Hamilton was back on the bench, as was Lee Collins who had recovered from the cut above his eye which had required stitches. Luton had Danny Hylton up front, who was in the final selection of three for League Two player of the season. Ollie Palmer, on loan to Luton from Leyton Orient, was on the bench. Luton included Lawson D’Ath in midfield who Steve Evans tried to sign in January but the player wanted too much money to come to Mansfield. Luton also started with three central defenders and two wing-backs.

It was a pleasant day in Mansfield with much of the pitch based in sunshine for some of the game.

Mansfield’s 1987 Freight Rover Trophy winning team at Wembley were at the game after the celebration dinner last night, and were paraded on the pitch at half time.



MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 1 Luton Town 1
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Monday 17 April 2017

Mansfield Town had to settle for a point in a tense 1-1 home draw with play-off rivals Luton Town this afternoon. A big One Call Stadium crowd had seen Alfie Potter’s first gaol for the club separate the sides at the break. But Danny Hylton’s 26th goal of the season from the spot punished a handball from George Taft on 51 minutes to level it up. Hylton wasted two good chances to win it while Rhys Bennett also headed over in stoppage time in a thrilling finish. By half-time the Stags were in eighth place and only outside the play-offs on goal difference. But the final score, that did little to help either side’s ambitions, left Mansfield in 12th place, still only two points off the top seven, and Luton fourth with three nail-biting games to go. Striker Shaq Coulthirst returned to Stags’ starting 3-4-1-2 line-up and gave a tireless, energetic display. The Peterborough loanee replaced Matt Green, who dropped down to the bench. Having limped off at Wycombe on Friday, Green was a doubt today but declared fit enough to stay in the squad. Otherwise Steve Evans kept the same side that won 1-0 at Wycombe to keep the play-off dream alive. Stags began the day two points off the top seven with 61 points in 10th, while Luton, having squandered two home points in a 2-2 draw with doomed Leyton Orient on Friday, still in fourth place on 67 points. Luton began the game strongly and were convinced they should have a penalty on eight minutes. Pelly-Ruddock cut inside Bennett on the left and blasted a shot which struck Bennett from point blank range with the Hatters convinced it was handball. But all they were given was a corner. Potts was then lucky to see play waved on after his elbow caught White in the face with Evans furious with the officials. White was able to continue after treatment. It had been a physical first 20 minutes with no real chances though Kean had to stretch to save a firm backheader from his own defender as Bennett got a head there before Hylton could reach a cross on 19 minutes. Mansfield won their first corner on 22 minutes. As it came over Cuthbert appeared to wrestle Taft to the ground and, with Stags players shouting for a penalty, Pearce got a head to the corner only to see Hylton back to clear off the line. However, a minute later the Stags roared ahead. Benning’s ball in from the left saw Taft rise to head the ball back towards Potter. His first shot was blocked by a a defender, but Potter kept his cool and smashed the rebound home through a crowd of players from 12 yards. Sheehan was unhappy after being caught late by Rose and play was allowed to continue. Words were exchanged between the pair and seconds later on 43 minutes Rose again caught him late and this time out came the yellow card. But Stags went in to huge applause, firmly in the half-time driving seat. Benning was inches over with a dipping shot from 25 yards just three minutes after the break. However, Luton were handed a way back into the game on 51 minutes. Taft clearly handled as Hylton tried to knock the ball past him in the box and the referee pointd to the spot. Hylton expertly lifted a superb penalty down the centre for his 26th goal of the season and a frustrated Kean was then booked for a shove on Hylton as he went to retrieve the ball out the net. Stags began to rock a little and a short corner routine for Luton saw Rea just unable to turn the ball home from five yards. On 59 minutes Mansfield tweaked the formation to 4-4-2 with White replaced by MacDonald. There were loud boos and chants from the home fans as ex-|Stag Palmer joined the action in place of Vassell on 64 minutes. Palmer immediately beat two men on the right and lofted in a right wing cross that Hylton headed over from five yards from where he looked an almost certain scorer. Hamilton came on for Potter as Stags made a second chance with 15 minutes to go. A last throw of the dice for Stags then saw Green on for Rose on 80 minutes. With two minutes to go Hylton headed wide from Luton’s sixth corner of the game, again a chance you would expect him to normally put away. In the four added minutes MacDonald had a long range shot turned aside and Bennett headed over from a corner as time ran out on Mansfield’s efforts.

STAGS: Kean, Bennett, Pearce, Taft, White (MacDonald 59), Whiteman, Byrom, Benning, Potter (Hamilton 75), Coulthirst, Rose (Green 80). Subs not used: Jensen, Collins, Howkins, Arquin.

LUTON: Moore, Justin, Rhea, Cuthbert, Sheehan, Potts (O’Donnell 84), Pelly-Ruddock, Lee, D’Ath, Vassell (Palmer 64), Hylton. Subs not used: Smith, Gray, Marriott, Gambin, King.

REFEREE: Mark Brown of East Yorkshire.

ATTENDANCE: 4,632 (892 away).


Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-mansfield-town-1-luton-town-1-1-8496895



Latest | April 2017