{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from January 2017

31st January 2017 11:00

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 2 - 0 Leyton Orient
Whiteman 48, D.Rose 56.
Attendance: 3925 (279 from Leyton Orient)

Date: 28 January 2017

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town beat Leyton Orient comfortably by 2-0, a scoreline which barely reflected Mansfield’s superiority. After a goalless first half lit up by a brilliant piece of play from Ben Whiteman when he danced past 2 defenders and fired just over the bar, plus a bad miss from Danny Rose who fired into the ground and up and over the bar from 6 yards, the Stags scored twice early in the second half to seal the points. On 48 minutes, Joel Byrom’s free kick came out to Whiteman who lashed a shot left footed into the left corner of the net from the edge of the area to make it 1-0. A great finish from Whiteman. On 52 minutes, Shaq Coulthirst, on his home debut, turned and hit the post with a tremendous effort from 20 yards out of the blue. It was 2-0 on 56 minutes as Whiteman’s low cross from the left was met by Danny Rose who slid the ball into the roof of the net from a tight angle on the right. A great piece of anticipation and finishing from Danny Rose, similar to his goal against Blackpool. The Stags were very comfortable after that although Leyton Orient nearly made it a nervy finish with a free kick from the edge of the box in stoppage time that was blocked and the rebound knocked against the outside of the left post. A fine performance from Mansfield, particularly in the second half. Both goals were a result of high quality play from Ben Whiteman who continues to look a top class player. Danny Rose justified his inclusion in the team with his good finish. The defence and goalkeeper had little to do, and looked comfortable. Joel Byrom had another good game in midfield, as did Lee Collins alongside him, and CJ Hamilton provided some marauding runs that gave the defence a torrid time. Shaq Coulthirst was the sponsor’s man of the match and had a decent game, particularly his brilliant effort against the post, but for us Whiteman had to be the man of the match. So 4 wins and 1 draw from the 5 league games in January and the Stags move closer to the play-off zone, now just two points outside it with a big game at Barnet to come next Saturday.

There was a great atmosphere in the ground, with an improved attendance largely due to the excellent buy-one-get-one-free offer put on by John and Carolyn Radford. Also much hard work had gone on since the last home game getting together a singing section in Q block in the West Stand Upper tier, with the introduction of new banners too; well done to everyone who organised that, it was a clearly a success.


Footnote: Leyton Orient manager Andy Edwards resigned the day after the game to join the FA. This makes 3 times in the last 6 games that an opposition manager has departed after losing to Mansfield.


MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 2 Leyton Orient 0
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 28 January 2017

Two goals inside eight minutes early in the second half eased Mansfield Town to a comfortable 2-0 home victory over strugglers Leyton Orient today.

Home keeper Jake Kean had nothing to do against an unambitious Orient who were trying to stave off a fourth defeat in a row.

But once Ben Whiteman crowned a great afternoon’s work with a thunderous strike from outside the box on 48 minutes, it was all but over.

Shaq Coulthirst then struck a post before Danny Rose tucked away Whiteman’s low ball across goal.

Read more at: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/match-report-mansfield-town-2-leyton-orient-0-1-8359322

Once again most things went through the industrious Joel Byrom and the back four enjoyed another clean sheet, despite Krystian Pearce appearing unwell and twice having to leave the field, but powering on for the cause.

The visitors’ afternoon of misery was complete when they had Paul McCallum stretchered off in stoppage time at the end A disappointing first half saw Stags doing all the pressing but unable to tuck away any of the half-chances they created as Orient wasted time and rarely threatened.

But Stags were in cruise control by the end, Callum Kennedy’s shot that shaved the post in stoppage time the closest the visitors came.

Mansfield reverted back to the line-up that won at Cambridge last weekend.

That saw Matt Green, James Baxendale, Yoann Arquin and Jack Thomas all drop back down to the bench and Jamie McGuire rested after playing in the midweek Checkatrade Trophy exit to Wycombe Wanderers.

Back into the side came cup-tied quartet Hayden White, Byrom, Coulthirst and Whiteman along with Rose. White and Coulthirst were making home debuts.

Stags were looking to make it six League game unbeaten while the O’s were trying to halt a run of three straight defeats.

They included ex-Stags skipper Nicky Hunt, now their captain, with another former Stags, Ollie Palmer, on the bench.

Orient had two early Stags free kicks and a corner to deal with inside two minutes as Mansfield began on the front foot.

Then a poor backpass put Cisak under pressure with neither Coulthirst nor Rose able to capitalise, Rose eventually poking the ball wide.

In the 12th minutes Benning almost put Stags ahead as he ran onto a quickly-taken Byrom free kick down the left and cut in to rifle a low shot across the keeper which he pushed away for the first of two corners.

Rose also got a shot on target three minutes later, but slipped as he let fly and it proved easy for Cisak.

Stags were briefly down to 10 men as Pearce ran down the tunnel, presumably for a toilet break, and was greeted by cheers on his return.

On 23 minutes Whiteman wasn’t too far over from 25 yards as Mansfield continued to dominate.

With the visitors lacking ambition and wasting time when possible Stags continued to plus away.

But on 34 minutes they were almost caught capping down the right as Hunt fed Massey into acres of space and his low cross-cum-shot fizzed wide of the far post.

On 40 minutes Benning forced another save from Cisak from 20 yards from Hamilton’s cutting pass, and a minute later a ferocious scramble in front of goal saw Rose’s finish hit the ground and fly over.

Stags made the perfect start to the second half with an opening goal inside three minutes.

Byrom’s free kick from the left touchline wad headed away by McCallum only as far as Whiteman just outside the box, who lashed an unstoppable rising shot into the net. Five minutes later it was almost 2-0 out the blue, but Coulthirst’s snapshot from 20 yards came back off the right post.

Seconds later Massey was booked for a foul on Hamilton. But Stags roared 2-0 in front on 56 minutes as Whiteman turned provider.

He whipped in a superb low cross from the left right across goal where Rose slid in at the far post to steer a rising finish high into the net.

McCallum was shown a yellow card for flattening Collins on 61 minutes.

Coulthirst showed good ambition in the box as he took on his man on the right but fired into the sidenetting as Stags finally began to flow with their passing.

Green took over from Rose on 73 minutes in the day’s first change. A rare Orient chance then saw McCallum leaning back too far as he headed over a Semedo cross.

Hunt and then Moore took the visitors’ booking tally to four with 10 minutes left.

Whiteman then saw Stags’ first of the day on 82 for a lunge on Semedo.

Soon after that Whiteman brought a good low save out of Cisak with a low shot from just outside the box. On 87 minutes Coulthirst robbed Mezague to go one on one, but shot straight at the keeper. In some eventful time added on McCallum was stretchered off injured, Kennedy clipped the home post with a second bite at a low free kick, Green fired a shot across goal and Benning shooting into the sidenetting.

STAGS: Kean, Bennett, Benning, L. Collins, Pearce, Coulthirst (Arquin 90+5), White, Hamilton, Byrom, Whiteman (Baxendale 85), Rose (Green 73). Subs not used: Shearer, Hoban, Thomas, Hemmings.

ORIENT: Cisak, Kennedy, Parkes, M. Collins, McCallum (Adeboyojo 90+3), Massey, Moore, Hunt, Mezague, Semedo, Dalby (Palmer 57). Subs not used: Sargeant, Atangana, Moncur, Judd, Clark.

REFEREE: Graham Salisbury of Lancashire.

ATTENDANCE: 3,925 (279 away).



Leyton Orient continue dire League Two form with defeat against Mansfield Town
guardian-series.co.uk, by Harry Gray

Leyton Orient suffered a 2-0 defeat against Mansfield Town as they fell into the League Two drop zone.

Second half goals from Ben Whiteman and Danny Rose were enough for the hosts on a day where Orient were toothless in attack and haphazard at the back.

The O’s hopes of survival are by no means extinguished, but they will have to show far greater quality for the remainder of the campaign if they are to remain in League Two.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/sport/leytonorient/15055347.Uninspired_O_s_drop_into_relegation_zone_after_defeat_against_Stags/They will hope for a better display when they face Carlisle United at Brisbane Road next week.

The O’s arrived at Field Mill without a win in four League Two outings and faced a stern test against a Stags side which had gone five games on the bounce without defeat.

Their strong form under Steve Evans has taken them to within touching distance of the play-off places.

O’s boss Andy Edwards made two changes from the side which lost at Portsmouth at the start of the year in an attempt to stop the rot.

Nigel Atangana and Myles Judd dropped to the bench as Callum Kennedy and Sam Dalby came into the starting XI.

Dalby cut a frustrated figure at times as a lack of service saw the 17-year-old toil to make a telling impact alongside Paul McCallum in attack.

The hosts started the far brighter and were almost gifted the lead after four minutes as Nicky Hunt’s sloppy back pass left Alex Cisak scrambling to clear.

The O’s keeper was beaten to the ball by Rose, but he could only fire wide on the stretch with the goal at his mercy.

Cisak had to be at his best after 12 minutes as a quick free-kick caught Orient napping and allowed Mal Benning to break into the box on the left.

His low drive was heading for the far corner before the O’s number one got down well to turn the ball around the post.

It was the standout chance of an opening period in which Mansfield dominated play and the O’s offered little going forward.

Town served further notice of their attacking intent just after the 20 minute mark as Whiteman skipped past Tom Parkes and fired just over from the edge of the box.

With half an hour on the clock, the O’s created their first clear opening of the game after McCallum cleverly flicked a loose ball onto Dalby.

He was unfortunate to see the ball taken off his toe by Hayden White as he set himself to shoot some 10 yards from goal.

Edwards’ side mustered their first effort on goal moments later after Hunt drove forward on the right and released Gavin Massey.

The winger’s shot fizzed dangerously across goal but went just wide of the back post with Jake Kean beaten in the Town goal.

Massey’s attempt was only a brief port in a storm for Orient and the half finished with more Mansfield pressure.

Again Benning was at the heart of the danger and his bouncing shot from distance was only just parried away by Cisak to ensure the scores remained level at the break.

The hosts didn’t have to wait long to go ahead after the restart and a poor clearance from a free kick from the left hand side fell invitingly for Whiteman 20 yards from goal.

His placed strike had plenty of power and found its way through a sea of legs before nestling in the bottom left corner to give Town a deserved lead.

The goal seemed to lift the Stags and former Orient loanee Shaquille Coulthirst almost made it 2-0 in stunning fashion.

Having controlled on his chest, he unleashed a fierce volley from 25 yards which smacked off the post with Cisak well beaten.

Town all but ended the game as a contest with 11 minutes of the second half played as CJ Hamilton’s low cross from the left slid dangerously across the face of goal.

Rose arrived unmarked at the back post and fired high into the net from point blank range.

The goals were indicative of the O’s defensive failings this season and continued a theme of conceding early in the second half.

With Orient now needing to chase the game, Edwards introduced Ollie Palmer for the ineffectual Dalby.

The ex-Mansfield man could do little to inspire the O’s, however, and Orient rarely looked like threatening the Town goal.

Their lack of quality in the final third was all the more frustrating, considering Mansfield took their foot off the gas somewhat after taking the 2-0 goal advantage.

Nonetheless, the hosts saw out the win with ease as a toothless Orient slipped to yet another defeat and could have increased the lead when Matt Green fired wide late on.

Mansfield Town: Kean; Pearce, Bennett, White, Benning, Collins, (C), Byrom, Whiteman, Hamilton, Coulthirst (Arquin 90), Rose (Green 72)

Subs not used: Shearer, Baxendale, Hoban, Thomas, Hemmings

Leyton Orient: Cisak; Hunt (C), Mezague, Parkes, Kennedy, Massey, Moore, Collins, Semedo, McCallum (Adeboyejo 90), Dalby (Palmer 57)

Subs not used: Sargeant, Clark, Judd, Atangana, Moncur

Attendance: 3,925 (279 away)



Latest | January 2017