{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from January 2017

3rd January 2017 22:16

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Doncaster Rovers
Green 59. Mandeville pen 77
Attendance: 5042 (1618 from Doncaster)

Date: 31 December 2016

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town drew 1-1 with league leaders Doncaster Rovers in the lunchtime kick-off today. This was a hugely improved performance by Mansfield from the dire display on Monday and the Stags fully deserved the point. The first half was competitive but with no good chances for either side and the Stags ended 2016 with no goal in the first half of the 16 home league and cup games. Mansfield got on top early in the second half with CJ Hamilton forcing a save from the Doncaster keeper and then the impressive Danny Rose flicking on to Matt Green whose shot was deflected just wide of the left post. Mansfield were deservedly in front on 59 minutes when Mal Benning’s long range shot was diverted into the bottom left corner of the net by Green, for his 10th goal of the season. Review of the video shows it was a really clever back-heel from Green. The Stags had chances to extend the lead and went close on 70 minutes when Danny Rose played a one-two with Clements before dragging a shot wide of the left. Disaster struck for Mansfield on 77 minutes conceding a penalty. Scott Shearer was out quickly to save very well at the feet of Liam Mandeville, but the loose ball fell to Tommy Rowe, and Shearer dived at his feet also, allowing Rowe to dive over him. These are almost always given as a penalty and it was here. A mistake from Shearer who conceded a similar penalty against Grimsby earlier in the season. Mandeville sent Shearer the wrong way from the spot. Doncaster now looked the more likely winners and were unlucky not to do so on 89 minutes when from Middleton’s corner from the left, Houghton headed against the inside of the left post and the ball somehow ended up in the grateful Shearer’s arms. A competitive game with a good display from the Stags appreciated by the home fans, and in the end, given Doncaster’s header against the inside of the post on 89 minutes, it was in my opinion a fair result. The transfer window opens tomorrow with several players coming in and going out announced after the game. The Stags are back in action in 48 hours at Blackpool.



Mansfield Town pegged back by Doncaster Rovers
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 31 December 2016

League Two leaders Doncaster Rovers fought back to earn a 1-1 draw after Matt Green had put Mansfield Town in control of this afternoon’s tense derby at One Call Stadium.

A tight first half saw neither keeper forced into a save and Stags keep up their record of never having scored at home in a first half all season.

But Steve Evans’ men were rewarded for a gutsy start to the second half when Green guided a low Mal Benning shot out of the keeper’s reach on 59 minutes - his 10th of the season. However, on 77 minutes Rovers were level from the spot as Liam Mandeville sent Scott Shearer the wrong way after the keeper had brought down Tommy Rowe.

The visitors poured forward in search of a winner against the tiring Stags and Rowe hit the post with two minutes to go, but it would have been cruel on a Mansfield side that had matched their high-flying visitors all afternoon.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-pegged-back-by-doncaster-rovers-1-8312561

Mansfield made four changes. Pat Hoban, Ashley Hemmings and Jamie McGuire were all left out on the bench and Darius Henderson left out altogether.

In up front came Danny Rose to partner Matt Green after some excellent displays off the bench in recent weeks.

With McGuire rested, Lee Collins took over as defensive midfielder with Mal Benning back in the side at left back after suspension.

James Baxendale and CJ Hamilton came back into the side midfield. Rovers included ex-Stags winger Matty Blair.

The game kicked off amid an excellent atmosphere with neither keeper tested in a tight opening few minutes.

On 15 minutes Stags won a free kick on the left which Clements rolled square to Benning only to see his firm shot strike a defender.

Stags thought they had a good shout for a penalty as Danny Rose was shoved in the back from a Hamilton cross on 20 minutes. But the referee disagreed and then gave offside anyway.

When Rovers finally got into the home box on 22 minutes Benning slid in with a great tackle before Mandeville could line up a shot.

It took 31 minutes for the first corner of the first half, which Williams nodded tamely wide of the near post for the game’s first real goal attempt.

Rovers then cleared the home side’s first corner on 37 minutes. Seconds later Green charged down an attempted clearance from keeper Marosi but, with the keeper out his box, the home side were unable to capitalise before he was back in front of his goal.

On 39 minutes Williams headed a left wing cross over the home crossbar, while Stags also survived a scramble after a poor header away by Howkins as an ultra-tight half ended goalless.

Within three minutes of the restart Stags defender Pearce was booked for a foul.

On 49 minutes Stags forced the first save either keeper had made as Hamilton’s fierce drive was turned aside by Marosi at his near post.

Hamilton then burst into the box on the left and pulled back a high cross which Bennett headed well over in what was a promising start to the second half for Mansfield.

Butler and Green were lectured after a c lash by the referee and Butler booed when he refused to shake hands afterwards.

Seconds later Rose fed Green and Baudry, just back on the pitch with his head bandaged from a cut, did well to get in the way of Green’s shot and concede a corner.

Stags were rewarded for their fine start to the half with the opening goal on 59 minutes. Baxendale’s corner was cleared out to Benning, who drilled the ball back towards goal and Green deftly guided it low just inside the left post.

On 63 minutes, with the home fans in full cry, Hamilton forced Marosi to smother his near post effort with Green trying to pounce on any loose ball as the keeper grabbed it at the second attempt.

A poor header away by Howkins on 69 minutes put the home defence under pressure, but Marquis crashed his finish into the sidenetting.

At the other end Clements slipped a pass through for Rose to turn and prod just wide.

Danny Rose was booked for his protests to a linesman over a throw-in decision on 71 minutes.

On 72 minutes Baxendale gave the ball away and allowed Mandeville a curling effort from 18 yards that went wide.

Middleton was booked for hacking Green down in full flight on 74 minutes.

However, the visitors were level from the spot on 77 minutes. Marquis ran onto a pass in the box and Shearer came to meet him and blocked his initial shot. The ball ran to Rowe and Shearer tried to smother at his feet but brought the player down for a cast-iron penalty.

Mandeville stepped up and sent Shearer the wrong way to the delight of the away following behind that goal.

Hoban replaced Rose up front for Stags before the game restarted.

With four minutes left Mitch Rose and Hurst came on for Clements and Baxendale in one last push for a home win.

But with two minutes left from a corner Rowe flicked a header that hit the inside of the near post and rolled into Shearer’s grateful hands.

STAGS: Shearer, Bennett, Benning, Collins (c), Pearce, Clements (M. Rose 86), Green, Baxendale (Hurst 86), Howkins, Hamilton, D. Rose (Hoban 79). Subs not used: Jensen, Hoban, Thomas, Hemmings, McGuire.

ROVERS: Marosi, Mason, Alcock (Middleston 63), Butler (c), Baudry, Rowe, Blair, Houghton, Mandeville (Keegan 85), Marquis, Williams. Subs not used: Jones, Wright, Keegan, Beestin, Calder, Longbottom.

REFEREE: Stephen Martin of Staffordshire.

ATTENDANCE: 5,042 (1,618 away).



Mansfield 1 Rovers 1
Sat 31 Dec 2016

Liam Mandeville's converted penalty was enough to earn Rovers a point at Mansfield.

Matt Green had put the Stags ahead, but Mandeville sloot home in the closing stages to ensure the match finished level.

Read more at http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/mansfield-x-rovers-x-3491992.aspx#V82pEtYHTzCdKMFk.99

Rovers were again unchanged, with Andy Butler captaining the side as James Coppinger sat out the final match of his three-game ban.

The first exchanges of play were very open, with an early chance coming following a smart move down the left. Liam Mandeville ended up clipping the ball in, but it was just too far in front of Andy Williams

Mansfield tried to get the ball quickly into the area and had a prime opportunity after 16 minutes when they were awarded a free-kick for a foul on CJ Hamilton.

The ball was laid into the path of Mal Benning from the set-piece, with his first-time shot struck sweetly enough but straight into the massed ranks of Rovers defenders and Mathieu Baudry cleared.

Rovers had two good chances after 20 minutes after breaking down the left. Tommy Rowe ran into space and his ball through for Williams left the forward in a dangerous spot, but a last-ditch tackle from Benning as he turned for space prevented him getting a shot away.

The ball went straight back into the area, but was just too high for John Marquis.

Williams was in the thick of it jsut after the half-hour mark, as his shot following a Marquis flick-on was blocked by Kyle Howkins.

Williams also got his head on the ball from the resulting corner, but his effort went over, while he also headed wide after 39 minutes after leaping high to win the ball from a Mandeville delivery.

HALF-TIME: Mansfield 0 Rovers 0

Neither side made any changes at the break, with Marosi the first keeper to be forced after action when he got down quickly to turn away a shot ftom Hamilton. Jordan Houghton nodded away the resulting corner.

Rhys Bennett threatened moments later, heading over from Hamilton's pull-back.

Mansfield went ahead after 59 minutes through Matt Green. Benning's shot from distance was flicked home by Green and found its way into the bottom left corner.

Marquis went close to an equaliser after 69 minutes when Williams broke and fed his strike partner - his powerful effort went ride.

Rovers carved out a great opportunity after 74 minutes when Rowe broke into the area. His delivery found Blair, who cushioned the ball back into the path of Marquis with his head - but the No.9 just couldn't get there in time.

Rovers did draw level after 77 minutes. Scott Shearer raced out quickly to deny Mandeville, but after an initial save brought down Rowe after he collected the ball.

Mandeville calmly slotted the spot-kick into the bottom left corner, as Shearer dived the other way.

Rovers pushed for a winner, with Andy Butler allowed a free header from a corner which was on target but cleared.

Jordan Houghton headed the ball against the near post after a Harry Middleton corner. It clipped the inside of the post before being gratefully collected by Shearer.

FULL-TIME: Mansfield 1 Rovers 1

ROVERS | Marosi, Mason, Alcock (Middleton), Butler (c), Baudry, Rowe, Blair, Houghton, Mandeville (Keegan), Marquis, Williams. ROVERS SUBS | Jones, Wright, Beestin, Calder, Longbottom.
STAGS XI | Shearer, Bennett, Benning, Collins (c), Pearce, Clements (M.Rose), Green, Baxendale (Hurst), Howkins, Hamilton, D.Rose (Hoban). STAGS SUBS | Jensen, Thomas, Hemings, Maguire. BOOKED | Pearce, D Rose.

ATTENDANCE | 5,042 (1,618)


Match report: Mansfield Town 1 Doncaster Rovers 1

A Liam Mandeville penalty rescued a point for off-colour Doncaster Rovers in a hard fought clash with Mansfield Town.

Mandeville struck from the spot 13 minutes from time to get Rovers out of jail in a disappointing New Year's Eve performance.

Matt Green had given the industrious hosts a deserved lead on the hour mark.

Darren Ferguson kept faith with the side that started in the win over Notts County.

The match was an open affair which lacked quality from both sides.

While forced into an equally physical battle, Rovers were afforded much more space than they had been on Boxing Day at Notts County but failed to take advantage.

Passes were sloppy and play was ponderous, bringing promising attacks to premature ends and ensuring chances were few and far between.

Mansfield were full of energy and looked to get early balls into the box, from which they struggled to take advantage.

The hosts' first real effort on goal came in the 14th minute when Mal Benning drilled an effort from a short free kick routine but Mathieu Baudry easily headed it away. Penalty shouts for Mansfield were waved away after Andy Butler clattered into Danny Rose, though the assistant had flagged for offside.

Rovers failed to trouble the Mansfield goal until 32 minutes when Andy Williams flicked a header from a corner over the bar at the near post.

Williams also headed over following good work from Liam Mandeville to make space for a cross.

The first shot on target came on 49 minutes and for the visitors, who started the second half the brighter. CJ Hamilton powered into space and unleashed a low effort which Marosi palmed away.

Matt Green did well to hold off Butler and unleash a shot which was deflected just wide.

Ferguson switched to a three at the back system, which had worked so well at Notts County.

But Rovers soon found themselves behind. Benning drilled on goal from 25 yards and the ball was deflected home, with Green claiming credit for the final touch.

Marosi saved well from Hamilton as Mansfield threatened to double their advantage.

Rovers were all too wasteful when an opportunity in the final third was created.

Marquis failed to trouble Shearer with a powerful drive from 15 yards.

And Mandeville also failed to hit the target with a curling effort from just outside the box.

But Rovers were gifted their way back into the game when they were awarded a penalty on 77 minutes. Mandeville had drawn a fine save from the onrushing Scott Shearer but the the Mansfield keeper dove at Matty Blair's feet in recovery and brought him down. Mandeville stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way in dispatching the penalty. Following the equaliser Rovers looked the more likely to get another.

Tommy Rowe went agonisingly close to the winner with three minutes to go. Meeting a corner from Harry Middleton at the near post, he flicked a header which rattled to post and rococheted straight to Shearer.

But they had to settle for a point and a wait for the 3pm kick offs to see if they would finish 2016 top of the table.

Mansfield: Shearer, Bennett, Howkins, Pearce, Bennett, Collins, Baxendale (Hurst 87), Hamilton, Clements (M Rose 87), Green, D Rose (Hoban 79). Subs not used: Jensen, Thomas, Hemmings, McGuire.

Rovers: Marosi, Alcock (Middleton 63), Baudry, Butler, Mason, Houghton, Blair, Rowe, Mandeville (Keegan 85), Marquis, Williams. Subs not used: Jones, Wright, Calder, Beestin, Longbottom.

Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire)

Attendance: 5,042 (1,618 away)

Read more at: http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/match-report-mansfield-town-1-doncaster-rovers-1-1-8312555



Latest | January 2017