{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2016

30th November 2016 19:26

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Carlisle United 5 - 2 Mansfield Town
Kennedy 13, Wyke 49, 62, 80 (pen), Lambe 90+5. Hoban 6, D.Rose 85
Attendance: 4822 (183 from Mansfield)

Date: 26 November 2016

Martin Shaw at Brunton Park

Mansfield Town fell to a 5-2 defeat at Carlisle in the first away game under Steve Evans this afternoon. After going ahead early on through a Pat Hoban header from 6 yards from a corner, the Stags conceded three headed goals from crosses to find themselves 3-1 down. The first goal was a cross following a short corner that found Jason Kennedy completely unmarked in the middle to head in from 6 yards. From the video it is hard to tell who lost his marker as no-one was near Kennedy. Awful marking. For the second goal, Charlie Wyke got goalside of Krystian Pearce to loop a header over Shearer. For the third goal, Wyke rose above Lee Collins to head home. It was poor defending for all three goals that left the Stags shell-shocked and you just can’t defend like that and expect to win football matches. To compound matters, the referee awarded Carlisle a soft penalty for handball which looked harsh in real time and just as harsh looking at the video, and Wyke converted underneath Shearer to complete his hat-trick and make it 4-1. Mansfield pulled it back to 4-2 when Danny Rose fired home from 7 yards via a deflection after Green did well to knock down a Hemmings cross. And Krystian Pearce should have made it 4-3 but somehow his close range shot was cleared off the line. Carlisle then made it 5-2 just before the final whistle when Reggie Lambe’s shot from the edge of the box, which appeared to be straight at Shearer, deflected off Benning and into the net. Carlisle deserved their win and go to the top of the league. They look a very good side, but the Stags have to defend a lot better than this, both in the middle and stopping crosses coming in. Mansfield have 10 days to work on the training ground and clearly a lot of focus will go on the defence after this showing, before the next game, also at Brunton Park, in the Checkatrade Trophy. The Stags are two points outside the play-offs in a tightly contested mid-table.

The game went ahead after a midday pitch inspection following an overnight frost. However from what I observed looking at the pitch from the touchline at pitchside at 1.30 it should never have been in doubt.

Carlisle came into the game having won their last 7 games at home in all competitions under former Stags manager Keith Curle. The Stags were on a high having won the first two games under new manager Steve Evans.



MATCH REPORT: First defeat for Evans as Carlisle hit five to go top
chad.co.uk, by SPORTS REPORTER

New Mansfield boss Steve Evans tasted defeat for the first time since taking over at the club as the Stags went down 5-2 in a seven-goal thriller at Carlisle.

Hosts’ striker Charlie Wykes netted a hat-trick, whilst Jason Kennedy and ex-Stag Reggie Lambe bagged the others on a bitterly cold afternoon up north as Carlisle went top of the table.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-first-defeat-for-evans-as-carlisle-hit-five-to-go-top-1-8260826?

After the match survived a lunchtime pitch inspection, Pat Hoban opened the scoring early on before a late consolation from substitute Danny Rose.

Evans made just a solitary change to the side that nabbed a late winner at Blackpool last time out. Captain Lee Collins returned to the fold as Ashley Hemmings dropped out of the starting line-up.

The Stags stormed out of the blocks as they drew first blood on a bitterly cold afternoon at Brunton Park against the high-flying Cumbrians.

Hoban was the scorer as he nodded home Chris Clements’ corner for his third goal in four games in the sixth minutes.

But the hosts were not down for long as they drew level just seven minutes later. The Stags were caught napping as a short corner found Nicky Adams, who put the ball on a plate for Jason Kennedy to head home the equaliser.

Oscar Gobern powered a half-volley wide before Mitch Rose headed tamely at Mark Gillespie.

Down the other end Michael Raynes missed a glorious opportunity to give the hosts the lead from close range after being expertly found by an Adams’ long ball.

The Stags got off to the worst possible start after the resumption as Carlisle took the lead.

Hat-trick hero Wyke latched onto Adams’ cross to send his header hooping over a stranded Scott Shearer in minute 49.

Wyke’s doubled his tally with his 11th goal of the season with his second header of the afternoon 28 minutes from time.

And he completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot with 10 minutes left.

Rose reduced the damage from close range after a knock down from Matt Green before Lambe curled home after a counter.

CARLISLE: Gillespie, Grainger, Brisley, Raynes, Miller, Jones, Joyce, Kennedy (McKee 70), Adams (Asamoah 84), Wyke (Miller 82), Lamb. Subs: Crocombe, Atkinson, Gillesphey, Ellis.

STAGS: Shearer, Bennett, Pearce, Collins, Benning, McGuire, M. Rose (Baxendale 81), Clements, Gobern (Hemmings 57), Green, Hoban (D. Rose 69). Subs: Jensen, Hurst, Hamilton, Thomas.

REFEREE: Seb Stockbridge of Tyne & Wear.

ATTENDANCE: Attendance: 4,822 (183 away).


MATCH REPORT: United 5 - 2 Mansfield
Sat 26 Nov 2016, by Andy Hall, carlisleunited.co.uk

Carlisle had to do it the hard way as they battled through the morning to beat overnight frost - and they then battled back from behind during the game to go top of a division for the first time since August 2010, and for the first time for a prolonged period since November 2007.

Mansfield started well and they earned a free kick in a dangerous area when Hoban was dumped on his backside. Mitchell Rose struck it firmly but it hit the wall and went behind for a corner. Rose trotted across to take it and his delivery invited Hoban to head. Gillespie tried to stop it on the line but it squirmed under his boot and into the back of the net.

Carlisle worked hard to get themselves back into the game but a deep free kick from Adams curled frustratingly over everybody and into Shearer's hands. Lambe then went on a run but his cross was cut out before Kennedy could pounce.

Read more at http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/report-from-the-saturday-afternoon-home-game-3436968.aspx#yujCEABYKucsOPqw.99

A foul on Adams 28-yards out brought Grainger forward and his drilled free kick was tipped past the upright by Shearer. Grainger and Adams followed up with a short corner routine and the delivery from the latter was flicked into the bottom corner for goal number nine of the season from Jason Kennedy.

Carlisle started to edge on top and a low cross from Tom Miller was met by Kennedy with a first time shot. It was slightly behind him as he readjusted and his effort lacked the power it needed to beat Shearer.

The Stags went close midway through the half when a loose ball dropped to Gobern on the edge of the area. He let fly with a controlled volley and it appeared to be going in until it bent just wide at the last moment.

But the visitors were let off the hook at the other end when Raynes arrived late for another clipped free kick from Adams. He had the goal at his mercy but he put too much on his close range volley and he sent it well wide of the upright.

Adams was next to test the target when he worked space with Jones and Joyce to unleash a 25-yard toe poke. He caught it well but it was too close to Shearer.

Mansfield had to deal with flicks from Raynes as he won high balls on the edge of the away area, but they had men to cover and it was all-square as the teams headed down the tunnel for the break.

United put a nice move together moments after the restart with Jones and Grainger linking up to make room for Adams to cross. Wyke moved in front of his man but he couldn't get a touch and Pearce swept it clear.

It was a warning shot across the bows as Adams came again with a winding run on the left flank. He bent inside and crossed it at the penalty spot and Charlie Wyke did the rest as he climbed back to the top of the club goalscoring charts with a dipping header.

McGuire rifled a long range shot wide as the Stags tried to find some purchase in the second half, but Carlisle opened a gap when Grainger whipped a fantastic cross into the penalty box. Charlie Wyke set himself and guided his eleventh goal in just nine games past a despairing dive from Shearer.

Game management came into play as United dictated things and Wyke made it a hat-trick when Danny Grainger waived his penalty taking rights when the ball was handled inside the box. The centre forward made no mistake as he smashed it low and hard into the net.

Substitute Danny Rose made the scoreline more respectable when he prodded a loose ball home, and keeper Mark Gillespie produced a world class save to divert a goal bound effort wide deep into time added on.

Carlisle brushed the scare off and it was another ruthless victory courtesy of some excellent finishing - capped off when Reggie Lambe swept a McKee cut back into the net via a wicked deflection deep into time added on.



Carlisle United - Kennedy (13), Wyke (49, 62, 80 pen), Lambe (90+5)

Mansfield Town - Hoban (7), D Rose (84)



Carlisle United - Kennedy (14), Brisley (21)

Mansfield Town - M Rose (44), Shearer (49), Collins (73)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller, Raynes, Brisley, Grainger, Kennedy (McKee 70), Joyce, Jones, Lambe, Wyke (S Miller 81), Adams. Subs - Crocombe, Atkinson, Ellis, Asamoah, Gillesphey.

Mansfield Town - Shearer, Bennett, Benning, Collins, Pearce, Clements, Hoban (D Rose 69), Green, M Rose (Baxendale 79), McGuire, Gobern (Hemmings 58). Subs - Jensen, Hurst, Thomas, Hamilton.


Referee - Mr Seb Stockbridge

Attendance - 4,822 (183 away fans)


Five-star Carlisle Utd climb to the summit as visiting boss Evans rages

Carlisle Utd 5 Mansfield Town 2: More than five months must still be negotiated before this can go down as a season for the ages. But let us stop regardless and celebrate where Carlisle United are, so soon after misery stalked this football city.

Two years and two months ago, Keith Curle arrived in town with the Blues bottom of League Two. One year ago, the floods were also a week away from bringing deeper troubles to this club and community.

Carlisle now sit at the very top of the pile despite those various traumas. Curle and his team are bringing entertainment, and also a bit of joy, to a place that has endured more challenging emotions in the recent past.

That has to be worth a mid-campaign salute. And anyone concerned with United's journey is entitled to take great pleasure from the arithmetic of the league table, before things resume again.

Even the reason they are up there - goal difference - is a mark of their path. It was not too long ago that the plus sign in United's GD column was a dusty relic, not seen for generations.

Now it is one more weapon they can wield against their rivals. On Saturday their numbers were given another healthy boost by Charlie Wyke's hat-trick and further clinical strikes from Jason Kennedy and Reggie Lambe, as the Blues eventually outclassed Mansfield and their incessant manager, Steve Evans.

More of him shortly. But it is Curle, the man behind this vast improvement, who deserves to speak first. "There's a lot of pride for the people that support the club, and people who work inside the club," Curle said.

"I don’t think that was there [when I first took charge]. A few people had fallen out with the club. But that spark's still there. It's like your first love - very difficult to drop, isn't it?"

This was Curle's way of explaining the affection now pouring his way from the stands and also towards his players, who have created a useful seven-point gap above the play-off places and teed up some great expectations as we head further into winter.

Wyke, now on 12 for the campaign, is currently guzzling goals. Nicky Adams and Danny Grainger are setting them up with relish and there is enough about the rest of the side to see them through various tricky games, which this was at times.

It was, naturally, made this way in part by the Mansfield manager, and the hope at full-time was for Shaun Hudson, the fourth official, to be somewhere near an armchair and a pint fairly soon.

An alternative candidate for man of the match, Hudson had to cope with so much badgering by Evans and his assistant Paul Raynor that one started thinking football needs to adopt cricket's DRS system, and limit managers to a handful of appeals and protests. Either that or issue officials with a cattle prod.

No man in black should have to face this much ear-bending, this much grief. Evans complained about Carlisle's ball-drying tactics before long throws. He complained any time ref Seb Stockbridge dared to point his arm the way United were attacking. He probably objected to the Highways Agency any time Mansfield's team coach encountered a red or amber light on their way home.

The Paddock and Main Stand contributed to this theatre with increasing voice, especially when United got ahead. Yet this took a little time for, on a pitch which had passed a midday inspection, Mansfield initially looked robust and keen to sabotage Carlisle's table-topping hopes.

They got what has become a strangely traditional early goal against the Blues, when Patrick Hoban evaded Kennedy to head home Chris Clements' inswinging corner. Yet United then also made their traditional reply, and after Grainger's free-kick was tipped wide by Scott Shearer, a short corner routine saw Adams cross and Kennedy bury a header of his own.

At this point a flare landed next to Mark Gillespie's net; apparently thrown by some Morton fans who had ventured south of the border for the day. As yellow smoke billowed through United's penalty area, Curle's team made some more inroads into Mansfield's, though Kennedy was booked for diving and then scuffed a good chance at Shearer.

Carlisle had certainly livened up, and in a brisk period forced more half-chances for Kennedy and Adams. In response, Mansfield tried to make the most of some sloppy moments in United's half, with Mitchell Rose, Hoban and Oscar Gobern all missing the target, the latter by millimetres.

Michael Raynes then spurned a great chance against his former club, as the Evans and Raynor histrionics continued. When one particular Krystian Pearce challenge on Wyke was penalised, the visiting boss and his sidekick converged on Hudson with faces like thunder. A few moments later, Blues kitman Colin Nixon was dispatched to say something to a ballboy.

Maybe these were the towelling instructions that would later enrage Evans. United were not breaking any rules when Tom Miller and Grainger dried the ball in this way before launching throws. Stockbridge saw no time-wasting infringement, and so the Mansfield boss went puce. Elsewhere, Adams tested Shearer at the end of the half as Shaun Brisley had a facial cut patched up.

The panto ended on 45 minutes with a sharp word in Evans' ear from captain Grainger as the teams came off. Fifteen minutes later they all reappeared and Wyke strode to centre stage.

On 49 minutes, Carlisle's number nine capitalised on superb work from Adams to loop an aerial finish over Shearer. Later, Gobern and Rose having missed for Mansfield, the striker got another: a laser-accurate header into the far left corner from Grainger's pinpoint delivery.

This seemed to ease any lingering anxiety, and brought a spate of songs from the crowd (one or two at Evans' expense) as Gillespie tipped over an overhit Ashley Hemmings cross to keep Carlisle comfortable.

United advanced with a little more freedom from here, the persistent Adams at times inspired, and while there was significant debate about their fourth goal - Stockbridge saw a handball that few others in the ground had - it nonetheless arose from further Blues pressure.

It also saw Grainger very decently hand over spot-kick duties to Wyke, who drilled home to complete his first ever league hat-trick.

It was over now, and even a close-range consolation from Danny Rose did not deter United. After Gillespie saved superbly from Pearce, there was then one more tradition: the late Carlisle goal. Not quite the 97th-minute, like the previous week, but still in the fifth minute of injury-time, as a cross from sub Joe McKee reached Lambe and the Bermudan clipped merrily home.

So the climb continued. "It's going to be a task for everyone to catch us," said Curle, who had had his own things to say to the besieged Hudson but was, overall, a much more controlled touchline figure than his opponent.

Even if his Blues are reined in, this has been a transforming time that does the manager and his men great credit. If they aren't, no place will deserve a greater party.


comment by Martin on News & Star facebook page in response:

If towels are going to be used to dry the ball, they have to be at both ends of the pitch for both teams to use. A similar situation happened in a Stags game at home to Wrexham in 2012, and the ref put a stop to it because only ballboys at the end the Stags were attacking had the towels.


Scottish fans behind flare thrown onto pitch at Carlisle Utd game
Blues say their own supporters were not responsible for yellow smoke grenade


27 November 2016

A smoke grenade hurled onto the pitch during Carlisle United's victory against Mansfield was NOT thrown by Blues fans, it has emerged.

Instead a group of Scottish fans - understood by the News & Star to be followers of Greenock Morton - are thought to have been behind the incident in the Warwick Road End.

A yellow flare landed close to Mark Gillespie's goal shortly after Jason Kennedy had equalised at the other end in Saturday's 5-2 victory.

Safety staff eventually disposed of it and United say they are investigating the incident.

Blues spokesman Andy Hall said the club did not believe Carlisle fans were responsible, despite it happening in Brunton Park's home end.

He said: "It appears from early reports that a group of fans have come from north of the border, with their own team's game having been called off.

"From the lettering we found on the external casing of the flare, it was identified as a group of fans from a Scottish club.

"Obviously that is disappointing, but we have to praise our fans for the way they reacted in distancing themselves from the incident, and in trying to help us identify the culprits.

"We will review footage and, if we can identify the individuals involved, we will follow that up with the relevant authorities."

It is the latest flare incident at a United game, whose recent FA Cup tie at St Albans City also saw several of the items thrown onto the pitch.

The National League South club have yet to comment on their investigation having said they were discussing the incidents with stewards and police.

The Blues' game at Exeter last season was also held up for an hour after a smoke grenade was lit in a toilet block at St James' Park, causing a stand to be evacuated.

Last season United reminded fans that the use of pyrotechnics in a stadium is an offence. The devices burn at temperatures of 1,600 degrees celsius.



Latest | November 2016