{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2016

24th November 2016 21:46

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Blackpool
D.Rose 90+2
Attendance: 2801 (225 from Blackpool)

Date: 22 November 2016

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

An injury time winner from Danny Rose was enough for Mansfield Town to pick up maximum points at home for the second time in 3 days as Blackpool were beaten 1-0 and the Steve Evans rollercoaster continued on the up. The goal came as Chris Clements knocked a high ball forward towards Pat Hoban, defender Tom Aldred headed it into his own area, fellow centre half Clark Robertson attempted to head the ball away, but could only head the ball down to Matt Green. Green steadied himself before firing goalwards from 15 yards. Keeper Sam Slocombe pushed his shot away but Danny Rose was fastest to get to the loose ball, turning it goalwards from a tight angle. Slocombe initially just about kept the ball out of the net but his trailing leg knocked the ball into the net, to lift the roof off the One Call Stadium. Credited as Danny Rose’s goal, though the dubious goals committee might have something to say if they study it in slow motion. Danny Rose’s first goal since the opening day of the season and what a time to get it. The first half had been an even affair, and entertaining, with both teams playing some good football. The second half was much quieter. Scott Shearer made two good saves, firstly from Brad Potts with a low shot, and then brilliantly tipping wide a header from Robertson. At the other end Chris Clements brought a terrific save from Slocombe with a fabulous left footed shot from 25 yards which Slocombe saved to his right. Blackpool were a good side, one of the best we’ve seen this season, having come into the game on a great run, and it was to Mansfield’s credit that they held them at bay and in the end sneaked the injury time winner. Some good performances throughout the Mansfield side, Pearce and Bennett at centre half really caught the eye, McGuire was very good in front of them, and Shearer made those two very good saves, to keep Mansfield on terms before the injury time excitement.

As recently as 2011, Blackpool were playing in the Barclays Premier League while Mansfield were languishing in the Blue Square Premier League. However the two teams are now both in League Two, and this was the first meeting since 2003.

The Stags were unchanged from the side that beat Crawley. One change on the bench, with Henderson ill, young Zayn Hakeem replaced him in the 18. Howkins, Taft, Collins and Hurst were injured, with Iacovitti suspended. The Stags set up with a diamond formation in midfield, McGuire in front of the back four, behind Clements and Gobern, and with Hemmings behind Green and Hoban. It was the second time Mansfield have named an unchanged side this season, the previous occasion being at Crewe. Blackpool came into the game in very good form with 4 wins and 2 draws from their last 6 games in all competitions. Blackpool included former Stag Colin Daniel who played in midfield, initially on the left, then switching to the right.

The game survived an early morning pitch inspection after torrential rain on Monday. Well done to groundsman Mez Merriman and his team. No home game postponed due to the pitch for more than two years now.



MATCH REPORT: Danny Rose the late hero for super Stags
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Tuesday 22 November 2016

Sub Danny Rose secured a fairytale second home victory in four days for new Mansfield Town boss Steve Evans with a winning goal two minutes into added time to shoot down high-flying Blackpool 1-0 tonight.

On a damp, misty night at One Call Stadium there had been few clear cut chances at either end as Stags sought to leapfrog the side in seventh place in the play-off spots. Both keepers made decent saves but, after the thrills of Saturday’s 3-1 win over Crawley, Stags found the Seasiders much tougher opposition.

However, just when it looked like a 0-0 draw, Matt Green’s low shot was parried into the path of Rose who turned it over the line, despite the keeper’s best attempts to keep it out to spark wild celebrations.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-danny-rose-the-late-hero-for-super-stags-1-8252823#comments-area

Evans named an unchanged line-up as the game survived a morning inspection after Monday’s rain.

The new boss was forced to persist with his makeshift defence with Lee Collins and Kyle Howkins injured and Alex Iacovitti suspended so the clean sheet will be extra welcome. There was just one change on the bench as teenage striker Zayn Hakeem replaced Darius Henderson, who is suffering from a virus.

The visitors were sitting in seventh place and the final play-off spot just two points ahead of the Stags, having won their last two games.

Six games unbeaten in all competitions, they included former Stags man Junior Daniel in their starting XI.

Gobern had an ambitious punt at goal from 35 yards in the first minute as the ball fell invitingly for him, the effort going wide of the right post but close enough to worry keeper Slocombe. Potts then fluffed a chance to shoot for Blackpool when he slipped as he tried to get on the end of a low pull back from the left by Cullen. On four minutes Hoban curled in a cross from the left and Hemmings might have done better as he nodded a header wide from a central position seven yards out. Blackpool were then fortunate no one got on the end of a firm low cross from Benning. On nine minutes Hoban cut in from the left and got his shot on target, Slocombe forced to parry as Mansfield kept up the impressive early pace. The game then settled down with referee Darren Handley’s whistle dominating as both sides tried to find some rhythm. Potts had a low shot from 20 yards out from the left corner of the box on the half-hour, but it was tame and straight at Shearer. Stags won the night’s first corner on 34 minutes, but the Seasiders cleared their lines. Then we had the first yellow card on 37 minutes after Pugh had upended Mitch Rose. More good home pressure after a half-cleared free kick saw Stags ask a few questions but eventually see a clearance bounce off Bennett and fly wide for a goalkick. Good work by Mitch Rosse down the right after the break saw him swap passes with Green and cross to the far post, but no one was there to capitalise. Sliding tackles by Mitch Rose and Pearce got the crowd in full voice again, but on 54 minutes Clements was booked for persistent fouling, Potts on target when the free kick was rolled to him but Shearer hanging onto it well. Then a Payne free kick on 61 minutes was headed at goal by Robertson and Shearer had to turn it away. Green was also added to the book on 66 minutes for persistent fouls as the home fans let Mr Handley know what they thought of his performance. Danny Rose replaced Hemmings on 69 minutes. A minute later Clements forced a good save from Slocombe low to his right on 70 minutes as a clearance reached him and he met it with a powerful volley from 20 yards. Daniel was booked on 77 minutes for a late tackle on former team mate McGuire to home fans’ cheers. Benning was well over from distance and Green scuffed another shot that hit the corner flag as we reached the last eight minutes. On 87 minutes a low Gobern effort from 25 yards found its way through a crowd of players to force Slocombe to save. But Stags’ final push saw them make the breakthrough and secure three more points at the last gasp

STAGS: Shearer; M. Rose, Pearce, Bennett, Benning; McGuire, Clements, Gobern, Hemmings (D. Rose 69); Green, Hoban. Subs not used: Jensen, Baxendale, Thomas, Hamilton, Law, Hakeem.

BLACKPOOL: Slocombe, Mellor, Taylor, Robertson, Potts, Cullen (Philliskirk 75), Aldred, Matt (Gnanduillet 67), Pugh, Daniel, Payne. Subs not used: Boney, McAlister, Nolan, Yeates, Osayi-Samuel.

REFEREE: Darren Handley of Lancashire.

ATTENDANCE: 2,801 (225 away).



blackpoolfc.co.uk Match Report
Mansfield 1 - 0 Blackpool
Tue 22 Nov - 19:45

Possession: 54% 46%
Shots on target: 5 3
Shots off target: 3 5
Corners: 3 1
Offsides: 3 3
Fouls: 10 13
Yellow Card: 3 2
Red Card: 0 0
Danny Rose (90 +2:02)
Chris Clements (55)
Matt Green (66)
Danny Rose (90 +3:12)
Danny Pugh (37)
Colin Daniel (77)

Blackpool conceded with the last kick of the game to surrender their six-match unbeaten run at Mansfield Town.

The Seasiders had battled admirably and had chances to score themselves before the late heartbreak.

Danny Rose won it for the hosts, finishing from a tight angle following a mix-up at the back by The Seasiders.

Read more at http://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-report/index.aspx?matchid=3925981&tcmuri=3154426#yCSaxGIkUKqCZDfq.99

Blackpool started brightly on a crisp Nottinghamshire evening but Mark Cullen’s cross couldn’t bring a sweet connection from Brad Potts, who sliced his effort.

Mansfield’s first attempt came from Pat Hoban, who cut inside on Kelvin Mellor and forced Sam Slocombe to palm to safety.

Blackpool were coping with the aerial approach of the home side and were having glimpses of joy on the break, with Potts shooting at Scott Shearer on the half-hour mark.

In truth, there was little to report on the pitch, with Jamille Matt clearing on to Rhys Bennett and out for a goal kick, as the two sides went in level after an uneventful first-half.

Half-Time: Mansfield 0 Blackpool 0

It was more of the same after the break, with Blackpool impressively dealing with Mansfield’s threats and looking dangerous at the other end, with Potts blasting a free-kick at Shearer.

Their next opportunity came from another free-kick, but Clark Robertson’s header from Jack Payne’s brilliant cross was turned behind by a fine, one-handed Shearer save.

From the resulting corner Tom Aldred’s looping header didn’t cause too much concern for The Seasiders as it sailed over.

On 66 minutes Armand Gnanduillet took the place of Matt, who’d worked tirelessly once again. Moments later Slocombe reacted quick to repel a powerful strike from Chris Clements.

15 minutes from time Cullen was replaced by Danny Philliskirk and a wild shot from Malvind Benning flew over the Pool bar soon after.

With time running out Gnanduillet linked up with Philliskirk who was denied by some strong Mansfield defending before Oscar Gobern shot at Slocombe.

There would be one final twist however as a mix-up at the back between Aldred and Robertson led to Slocombe brilliant denying Matt Green, before Rose squeezed home the winner.

Full-Time: Mansfield 1 Blackpool 0



Latest | November 2016