{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2016

30th September 2016 19:01

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Accrington Stanley 1 - 1 Mansfield Town
Gornell 56. Clements 31
Attendance: 1,134 (136 from Mansfield)

Date: 27 September 2016


Martin Shaw at the Wham Stadium, Crown Ground

Mansfield Town broke their goal drought at Accrington Stanley this evening and returned home with a deserved point from a 1-1 draw. The Stags had gone 4 league games plus an EFL Trophy game without a goal and confidence was suffering as a result. But Chris Clements, on his first start back after injury, blasted in a superb free-kick off the underside of the bar from the edge of the D on 31 minutes, after his own great slide-rule pass forward found Mitch Rose who turned well and was brought down. Both the winning of the free kick and the delivery of the free kick were that extra bit of quality the Stags have been missing in recent games. The Stags were the better side in the first half, and Kevan Hurst brought a good save out of the Accrington keeper on 39 minutes with a shot from 25 yards that the keeper pushed away low to his left. Accrington hadn’t troubled Mansfield in the first half with Scott Shearer having no saves to make. But Accrington were level on 56 minutes. A long free kick from Donacien from the halfway line was punted into the Stags box, Krystian Pearce and McConville went down in the heap on the edge of the box, and Beckles found himself free to lay the ball off to Terry Gornell to sweep the ball into the net past Shearer from 7 yards. Stags players claimed for offside in vain, and from the video I don’t think it was offside. Poor defending from the Stags and a disappointing goal to concede. Accrington had a goal disallowed 4 minutes later when Shearer pushed away Jordan Clark’s shot, and the flag was up before Sean McConville knocked in the rebound. The video replay is inconclusive as McConville is off screen as Clark shoots. Neither side could force a winner after that. The Stags players were applauded off by the visiting supporters at the end for a good performance.

Mansfield made 3 changes to the side that lost to Grimsby. Pat Hoban came in for his first start for Mansfield in a league game, he replaced Matt Green. A slight surprise to me that Green was dropped but Green of course hadn’t scored in 4 games, and it was time for Hoban to have a chance, having impressed in pre-season. Chris Clements, having come on as substitute on Saturday, was back into the starting XI and how Mansfield needed him back. He replaced Gobern who will need more time to get match sharp after being out for a year. Finally Jamie McGuire was in, replacing Iacovitti, who dropped to the bench. Collins slotted into the back four. McGuire was in front of the back four. It was a 4-1-3-2 formation with a midfield 3 of Mitch Rose, Clements and Hurst. Danny Rose and Hoban up front.

Iacovitti by the way has been called into the Scotland U21 squad for games on the 5th and 11th October, away to Iceland and Macedonia respectively. Congratulations to him for that. I am not surprised, he has impressed. He will miss the league game against Notts County. Maybe the EFL Trophy game against Port Vale too, I’m not sure.

Mansfield had not beaten Accrington in 10 attempts in the league since Accrington reformed and returned to the Football League. Accrington included former Stag Billy Kee up front.

It was a pleasant mild evening in Lancashire.



Goal drought over as Stags take point at Accrington
by SPORTS REPORTER (Agency), chad.co.uk MATCH REPORT

Mansfield Town finally halted their goal drought and picked up a rare point at bogey club Accrington Stanley in tonight’s 1-1 draw at the Crown Ground.

Chris Clements managed to get a free kick up and over the wall and in off the bar on 31 minutes - Stags’ first goal for 482 minutes since Matt Green netted at Orient on 27th August.

Mansfield had the best of the first half and were comfortable by half-time.

However, Terry Gornell levelled the match 11 minutes into the second half, and although Accrington had the best of the rest of the game, they rarely looked like achieving a fourth League win on the bounce.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-goal-drought-over-as-stags-take-point-at-accrington-1-8150251

Mansfield goal ace Matt Green was dropped to the bench as Stags boss Adam Murray tried a different combination to try to find an elusive goal.

In his place for a full debut came Irish striker Pat Hoban.

Murray made two other changes with Jamie McGuire and Clements coming into the midfield, defender Alex Iacovitti and midfielder Oscar Gobern dropping to the bench.

Stags started well, forcing three early corners, and Rhys Bennett fired a chance over the bar while Hoban headed straight at keeper Elliot Parish.

But on 31 minutes Mitch Rose was fouled just outside the box, just to the right of centre, and Clements showed the brilliance the side had been missing during his injury lay-off with his finish.

It was almost 2-0 as Kevan Hurst blasted at goal from 25 yards, forcing Parish to save.

Clements had another free kick chance, but this time it was easy for Parish to make the save as Stags went in 1-0 up and in the driving seat at the break.

Accrington came back out with all guns blazing and piled on the pressure.

It paid off on 57 minutes when a Janio Donacien free kick from just inside their own half was flicked on and fell to striker Gornell in the area, who finished well for his first goal of the season.

Stanley thought they had turned it around on the hour when McConville tapped home at the far post after Parish denied Clark but it was ruled offside to Mansfield’s relief.

Clark then saw a looping shot float just over Shearer’s goal onto the roof of the net.

But Stags boss Murray rang the changes to help his side launch a late push and on 83 minutes, Krystian Pearce headed over from a Mal Benning corner in Mansfield’s best period of the second half.

In the 89th minute, Hemmings crisp touchline cross forced Parish to claim at the second attempt.

The home side almost had the last say in stoppage time as sub Boco went forward and fired a shot that flew beyond the post and out for a goal kick.

A point was a decent result for Mansfield, who have seen Accrington do the double over them the last two seasons.

Stags have not won in six trips to Accrington, their last win there coming back in March 1961 and, overall, they haven’t beaten Stanley in their last 10 clashes now.

It was also a sixth game without a win for Mansfield, five in the League, but they will be happy with a point as they prepare to head to Crewe, smashed 5-1 at Wycombe tonight, this coming Saturday.

ACCRINGTON: Elliot, Vyner, Beckles, Pearson, Donacien, McConville (C), Lacey, Hewitt, Clark, Gornell (Boco 80), Kee. Subs not used: Hughes, Davies, Jones, Chapman, Eagles, Sykes.

STAGS: Shearer, Benning, Pearce, Collins (C), Bennett, McGuire, Clements, M. Rose, Hurst (Hemmings 67), D. Rose (Iacovitti 73), Hoban (Green 77). Subs not used: Jensen, Henderson, Gobern, Hamilton.

REFEREE: Darren England of South Yorkshire.

ATTENDANCE: 1,134 (136 away).


Stanley 1 Mansfield 1 27/09/2016
by Dany Robson

Terry Gornell’s first goal of the campaign meant the points were shared in a 1-1 draw with Mansfield.

Stanley were hoping to make it four league wins on the bounce and move into the play-offs but the Stags made sure it finished all square.

John Coleman brought in Steven Hewitt for the suspended Scott Brown and Gornell starting in place of Rommy Boco with Sean McConville the captain in Seamus Conneely’s absence.

It was a lively start with Mansfield forcing early corners while Stanley winger Jordan Clark tried his luck after just a few minutes but his effort was wide.

Neither goalkeeper was really tested in the opening 20 minutes with Pat Hoban’s header on target - but comfortable for Elliot Parish.

Mansfield took the lead on 31 minutes when Matty Pearson fouled Mitchell Rose on the edge of the area and Chris Clements fired home the free kick, which found the back of the net off the underside of the crossbar.

Stanley then bossed possession without seriously testing keeper Scott Shearer while Kevan Hurst’s strike was kept out by Parish at the other end on 39 minutes.

Coleman’s half-time team talk seemed to do the trick as the Reds started with purpose after the break with Clark’s strike from the right just over the bar.

And Stanley levelled on 56 minutes when a Janio Donacien free kick from just inside their own half was flicked on and it fell to striker Gornell in the area who finished well for his first goal of the season.

Minutes later Stanley thought they had turned it around when McConville tapped home at the far post after Parish denied Clark but it was ruled off-side.

Clark saw a looping shot float just over Shearer’s goal and Coleman brought on last Saturday’s goal hero Rommy Boco for the final 10 minutes, replacing Gornell, but neither side could grab the winner.


Accrington Stanley extend unbeaten run to five games

ACCRINGTON Stanley extended their unbeaten run to five games in League Two with a somewhat frustrating 1-1 draw with out of form Mansfield Town.

A poor first half saw the Reds trail 1-0 only for Terry Gornell to level after the break as Stanley dominated the second period.

John Coleman made two changes for the game, with Steven Hewitt replacing the suspended Scott Brown and Gornell coming into the side in place of Rommy Boco.

The Reds altered their system too, with three centre backs and wing backs deployed by the home side.

They had the first meaningful chance when Jordan Clark tried his luck from range and saw his effort fly wide, setting the tone for a scrappy opening half an hour.

Mansfield full back Rhys Bennett was well off target with a shot, Stanley captain Sean McConville headed a Malv Benning free kick over his own bar and Pat Hoban headed straight at Elliot Parish as Adam Murray’s visitors looked to take the lead.

Stanley were enjoying plenty of possession but without penetrating, with Gornell unable to latch onto a flick from strike partner Billy Kee.

The Stags arrived in East Lancashire without a goal or a win in a month but that wait to find the net ended thanks to Chris Clements in the 31st minute. Mitchell Rose threaded a pass into the box and went down, ref Darren England gave a free kick and Clements smashed the ball home off the underside of the bar.

It was out of keeping with the game, with normal service soon resumed with Kevan Hurst unable to beat Parish from the edge of the box and Paddy Lacey ballooning a free kick well over the bar.

The interval brought a change of system, to 4-4-2, and a change of emphasis in the game as Stanley turned the screw looking for a leveller. Hewitt’s burst to the edge of the box brought a pass deflected just behind Gornell before a fierce drive from Clark hit a team mate and looped over Shearer’s bar.

They didn’t have to wait long for parity to be restored, with Gornell bagging his first of the season to equalise. Janoi Donacien’s free kick in to the box was knocked down by Omar Beckles to the striker who converted from close range to mark reaching three figures of appearances for the club.

Moments later the Reds thought they’d turned it around when Shearer could only push out another Clark strike for McConville to tap home only for the offside flag to be raised against the captain for the night.

It was now one way traffic with Clark lofting a Kee lay-off over the top, Kee drilling across the face and Clark going down under challenge from Malv Benning in the box but getting nothing from Mr. England.

The Stags weathered the storm though, and despite not posing a great deal of threat to the Stanley goal Shearer was also mostly unemployed in the closing stages.

Sub Boco got pulses racing with a run down the right channel in stoppage time but his strike only hit the side netting as the spoils were shared at the Wham Stadium.

Despite the disappointment of not finding the winner, the draw means Stanley have taken 11 points out of a possible 15 in their last five matches.

Stanley: Parish, Vyner, Beckles, Pearson, Donacien, Clark, Hewitt, Lacey, McConville, Gornell (Boco 79), Kee



Latest | September 2016