{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2016

25th August 2016 19:08

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Yeovil Town
Green pen 64
Attendance: 2503 (130 from Yeovil)

Date: 16 August 2016


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Magnificent Mansfield Town pulled off a sensational victory over Yeovil Town at Field Mill this evening despite playing for 82 minutes plus a total of 11 minutes of stoppage time with ten men after Danny Rose was sent off. The only goal of the game came after 64 minutes when Matt Green emphatically slammed home a penalty after Mitch Rose had been tripped by the keeper in the area. That foul came after a brilliant diagonal ball from Adam Chapman to Green on the right, who powered forward and had his shot parried out by the keeper to Mitch Rose. It was a blatant penalty and the keeper was correctly booked, rather than sent off. The Stags were reduced to ten men on 8 minutes after Danny Rose’s two footed lunge inside his own half right in front of the Stags’ dugout. I said immediately during full match commentary on StagsPlayerHD that Danny Rose would be in trouble for that, and the referee duly showed him the red card after giving himself a few seconds to consider his decision. Looking at the incident again on our pitchside footage, it still looks like a red card to me. For most of the rest of the game, you could be forgiven for not knowing which side had ten men as Mansfield more than held their own. Inevitably as the game wore on in the final few minutes, Yeovil put Mansfield under a lot of pressure but Mansfield heroically hung on for a fully deserved victory. Indeed Brian Jensen barely had a save to make such was the quality of the defending in front of him. Mansfield had the two best chances of the night other than the goal with Green firing over from 8 yards in the first half, and then Mitch Rose sent a free header from 7 yards over the bar. There were heroic performances throughout the Stags side. Rhys Bennett was the sponsors’ man of the match for some surging runs and great defending. Mitch Rose put in some great challenges including two memorable ones in quick succession in the second half. Kyle Howkins and Lee Collins were superb in central defence. Matt Green must have covered every inch of turf on the pitch. But my man of the match was Adam Chapman who was fantastic in the front of the back four from the first minute to the last. At the end of the game, the fans stayed behind to cheer the team off in one of the best and most passionate atmospheres I can remember for some time as the crowd really got behind the team. I don’t think Mansfield have ever won a game before having played for so long with a man down, though I have not been able to check. I think this game will rank second only to the win at Cambridge in 2003 when Mansfield had players sent off on 35 and 42 minutes, before Cambridge had a player of their own sent off on 77 minutes, and the Stags won 2-1, as the most spirited of all Stags performances. And it ranks alongside and perhaps just ahead of winning 1-0 at AFC Wimbledon in 2014 when Rob Taylor was sent off after 31 minutes and the Stags won 1-0 with a Dimitar Evtimov 10 out of 10 performance in goal. It was a special night and showed that Adam Murray’s current crop of players have spirit in abundance. I spoke to Greenie afterwards and suggested it might be difficult for the players to recover by Saturday. He’d told me they’d be ready! So the Stags are off to a great start with 7 points from 3 games, and on to Plymouth on Saturday. If you can’t make the journey, join me for exclusive full match commentary on StagsPlayerHD.



MATCH REPORT: Sensation as 10-men Stags beat Yeovil
by John Lomas, chad.co.uk, Tuesday 16 August 2016

Despite playing most of the game with 10 men, magnificent Mansfield Town pulled off a sensational 1-0 win over Yeovil Town at a noisy One Call Stadium tonight.

Matt Green proved the goal hero with a 64th minute penalty kick success, but Stags’ entire squad ended up heroes tonight with one of their best performances for many a season, despite being up against it so early after Danny Rose’s needless eighth minute red card for a two-footed tackle.

Incredibly, they made light of being short-handed to create most of the best chances of the night and, when tiredness set in nearer the end, sheer willpower saw them through plus the backing of a fantastic home crowd.

Mitch Rose won the penalty kick for Stags and had another storming game as Stags moved up into the top three of League Two.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-news/match-report-sensation-as-10-men-stags-beat-yeovil-1-8072634

The Mansfield side showed three changes, most notably keeper Scott Shearer missing out after taking a nasty knock to the head on Saturday.

The club said on Monday they believed he would be fine to play, but it was Brian Jensen on the team sheet with Shearer believed to be recovering from concussion.

Skipper Lee Collins dropped back into defence in place of George Taft with Adam Chapman drafted in to play the defensive midfield role.

The other change was in midfield where Kevan Hurst was left out and replaced by Ashley Hemmings.

Visitors Yeovil had arrived unbeaten after taking four points from six in the League and winning their first round EFL Cup tie at Walsall to book a trip to Everton.

Stags almost grabbed a third minute lead after the visitors struggled to clear a long Danny Rose cross from the right. Mitch Rose backheeled the ball confidently for Clements, who saw his finish deflect wide.

From the corner Danny Rose headed over the angle of the back post. However, Danny Rose’s involvement was over after just eight minutes as he was sent off.

Rose dived late into a two-footed tackle on Khan in the middle of the park with no danger and the referee held aloft the red card.

On 13 minutes Green almost gave the 10 men the lead when a long Chapman throw from the right was flicked on and Green hooked a hurried finish over the top from eight yards.

Chapman got Hemmings off the hook after his loose pass set Yeovil on the break, Hedges’ final cross low from the right hooked clear by Chapman.

On 26 minutes Clements swung a boot at the ball from 25 yards but, despite it containing lots of power, it was straight at Krysiak.

A minute later Jensen was behind a shot from Khan from the same distance. On 32 minutes Yeovil made a change, sending on Lacey for Dickson.

Four minutes later Jensen was down comfortably to his right to grab a low 25 yard shot from Hedges.

However, Stags should have been ahead on 38 minutes. Bennett beat his man wide on the right and put over a teasing cross into the centre where Mitch Rose headed over from eight yards.

We had a lengthy delay just before the break as Smith stayed down with a knock to the head and a minimum of five minutes were added.

At one stage he had his head bandaged up but, with home fans getting irate, then had the bandage removed and was able to continue.

Stags survived some Yeovil pressure before the half ended with Benning just too high with a free kick from the right.

The visitors returned with Campbell on for Smith.

Green had the first effort with an ambitious overhead kick that flew well over from a poor attempted clearance.

On 48 minutes Benning swung over a long cross from the left and Mitch Rose met it on the volley but fired wide of the post.

Home fans were enjoying their side’s efforts and getting behind them.

And Chapman almost carved a goal out of nowhere on 54 minutes as he robbed Khan, rook the ball forward and sent a swerving shot goalwards that Krysiak was equal to.

Howkins was booked for a foul on Campbell on 55 minutes. Stags made their first change on 61 minutes as Hamilton replaced Hemmings.

The 10 men roared ahead on 64 minutes from the penalty spot. Green raced into the box and got away a shot that Krysiak could only parry.

The loose ball ran to Mitch Rose, who got there first and was brought down by the keeper’s challenge.

Krysiak was booked and up stepped Green to smash the ball inside the right post and send the keeper the wrong way.

Mitch Rose won huge applause for winning two big 50-50 tackles to clear the danger as the visitors looked for a way back, then Bennett was booked for time wasting.

Campbell was added to the book on 75 minutes for tripping Green and Benning inches wide with a superb curling free kick from distance.

With 10 minutes to go an offside flag went up before Hedges turned the ball into the home net.

Soon after Eaves sent a looping header over as Yeovil turned up the heat.

Campbell was on target from 20 yards after Hamilton lost the ball, but it was directly at Jensen.

With five minutes left Stags sacrificed Green for an extra defender in Taft. Butcher was booked for halting Mitch Rose in the final minute.

Stags then had five added minutes to survive, Chapmana booked for a foul on 94 minutes, Henderson then sent on for Hamilton to shore things up.

With deafening noise from the stands, Stags stood firm and the roar at the end was as loud as when they won the Conference title!

STAGS: Jensen, Bennett, Collins, Howkins, Benning, Chapman, Clements, M. Rose, Hemmings (Hamilton 61, Henderson 90+4)), Green (Taft 85), D. Rose. Subs not used: Baxendale, Hurst, McGuire, Hakeem.

YEOVIL: Krysiak; Dickson (Lacey 32), Mugabi, Butcher, Smith (Campbell HT); Lawless, Dawson, Dolan; Eaves, Hedges, Khan (Zoko 67). Subs not used: Maddison, Sowunmi, Lea, Bassett.

REFEREE: John Brooks of Leicestershire. ATTENDANCE: 2,503 (130 away).




Latest | August 2016