{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2016

5th August 2016 23:50

Pre-Season Friendly
Worksop Town 1 - 3 Mansfield Town
Husbands 71. Collins 47, Clements 62, Hakeem 87
Attendance: 558

Date: 30 July 2016

Martin Shaw at Sandy Lane

Mansfield Town had a useful friendly at Worksop Town this afternoon, creating a glut of chances and finally scoring three times in the second half. The Stags created 16 chances in the first half alone without finding the net in a catalogue of near misses, great saves, and one thunderous effort against the bar. It was an absolute onslaught. In the second half, the Stags went ahead with a header from Lee Collins from a Kevan Hurst fine corner. Collins has yet to score for the Stags in a competitive game, hopefully this will be the start of something. The Stags made it 2-0 when Rhys Bennett did well on the byline on the right, and pulled back for Chris Clements who fired into the bottom corner of the net. Surprisingly Worksop pulled a goal back when a ball across the area wasn’t dealt with. Mansfield scored a third, when young Zayn Hakeem scored from close range from another fine Kevan Hurst corner. Plenty of positives for the Stags with just 7 days until the league season gets underway. Standing out today were Kevan Hurst with some excellent delivery on crosses, including corners, and a fine shot against the bar, and Rhys Bennett with some excellent play pushing forward. It was pleasing to see Mal Benning back in the action after missing some games as a precaution through slight injury, and it looked like he hadn’t been away. Chris Clements showed plenty of nice touches, and a good finish for his goal, along with a determination to win the ball. The defence was barely tested so it was hard to judge the new loan signing at centre half Kyle Howkins, though he certainly looks a big unit, but he did show some nimble footwork. I would guess that at least 9 of the starting 11 at Worksop will start at Newport on Saturday. After a month of pre-season friendlies, I think we’re ready for the season to start now. Bring it on! Come on Mansfield.



Report: Worskop 1-3 Stags
mansfieldtown.net, 30th July 2016

Mansfield Town recorded a 3-1 victory at neighbouring Worksop Town, a week before the start of their new league campaign.

Second half goals from defender Lee Collins and midfielder Chris Clements put Stags in the driving seat, with Worksop replying on 72 minutes when an un-named home trialist put Worksop on the scoresheet.

Young striker Zayn Hakeem confirmed the win in the final minutes, applying the finish to a Kevan Hurst corner.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/2016-17/report-worskop-1-2-stags-3215770.aspx#ckIZYlR0xSGe6YB8.99

In truth, this could have been a goal glut for Mansfield, who dominated possession throughout the contest, creating a hatful of chances, particularly in the first half.

It was defender Mal Benning’s first taste of pre-season since the Stags' 2-1 victory at home to Bolton Wanderers a fortnight ago.

Worksop fielded two former Stags’ youth team players: Jack Hawkins, the midfielder, and frontman Adam Somes.

The home team, nicknamed the Tigers, barely had a touch of the ball in the opening two minutes and were given early respite when Mal Benning’s rasping right-footed strike flew over from 25 yards.

The first Worksop attack, on four minutes, saw Adam Scott skip beyond two Stags players to force a corner.

Two minutes later, Danny Rose drifted a ball into the Worksop box from the right-side. Matt Green, Stags’ leading talisman last season, collected well but fired the wrong side of the post.

Stags’ maintained their early pressure and striker Danny Rose will have been disappointed not to have hit the target on eight minutes. Right back Rhys Bennett’s pin point cross from the edge of the home box found Rose just outside the goal area, but his looping header flew over the bar.

Stags’ attacks on the Worksop goal were almost relentless and Green tried his luck on 11 minutes, shooting wide of the ‘keeper’s right post from 25 yards.

Bennett and Green combined again, this time in the 13th minute.

The right-back drifted in a left-footed ball to the edge of the goal area where Green, under heavy pressure, could only head over the bar.

Mitchell Rose then got involved in the onslaught, connecting with Benning’s dangerous left flank cross, but the midfielder’s attempt was blocked en route to goal.

Midway through the first half, Benning struck at goal once more, again from 25-yards, but Worksop goalkeeper Jon Kennedy was well behind it.

With 24 minutes played, Bennett teed up Hurst who had a crack at goal from outside the box, but his rising shot was claimed by Kennedy.

Stags’ lengthy possession of the ball continued and a further attempt to break the deadlock was created on 32 minutes. From a cross into the home box, Danny Rose knocked it to Chris Clements, but he arrowed his drive over the crossbar.

At the other end, in a rare effort towards the Stags goal, Adam Scott blasted a 35-yard-free kick behind the stand.

Mansfield went inches wide of a breakthrough on 37 minutes

Benning again delivered from the left and Green climbed into the air to connect, but his header rolled past the post.

Kennedy was called upon a minute later to fingertip over a piledriver from Mitchell Rose.

The home goalkeeper then fumbled a Kevan Hurst cross in the air but was helped out by his defenders before Bennett headed over moments later from Benning’s left-flank delivery.

A five man Stags’ move forced another corner with four minutes of the first half remaining.

Hurst spotted the advancing run of Benning who knocked it to Danny Rose. Clements then received the ball before slipping it to Mitchell Rose, whose dangerous cross was put behind for a corner.

Kevan Hurst then sent the Worksop defence into a merry dance with a mazy run but his final shot rattled the bar.

On 43, Kennedy got down well to deny a curling free-kick by Chris Clements, which had beaten the Worksop wall from 23 yards.

The home side will have been relieved to hear the sound of the half-time whistle after an ultra-defensive workout in the first-half in which Stags did everything but score.

After the first half barrage, it took Stags less than two minutes to find the net after the break and in the simplest of fashions.

Hurst’s inswinging corner was flicked goalwards by Lee Collins amidst a congested penalty area and into the net.

It was the last moment of action for Collins who was soon replaced by an unnamed trialist.

Stags then had to be on guard when Somes broke through, although appearing offside when receiving the ball, but the flag stayed down, allowing him to pull it back to Hawkins who struck over.

A change was then made in the Stags’ attack as Pat Hoban replaced Danny Rose.

Shortly before the hour-mark, Worksop made alterations of their own: Off came Jack Hawkins, Adam Somes, Callum Harrison and Scott Wesley.

An unnamed trialist entered the fray, along with Kyle Jordan, Matt Parkin and Mark Fereday.

CJ Hamilton was then introduced into the action for the Stags, coming on for Mitchell Rose.

On 62, Stags doubled their advantage. Rhys Bennett provided the trickery on the right before a low pass to the centre of the penalty area, where Chris Clements slammed low and hard to complete the move.

Mansfield goalkeeper Scott Shearer had to make his first save of the match on 70 minutes.

Mark Feredy turned well inside the Stags’ box and from the right unleashed a low effort which had to be denied by the fingertips of Shearer.

Matt Green and Chris Clements then departed the field to be replaced by Jamie McGuire and Zayn Hakeem.

Stags conceded a sloppy goal on 72. Unable to clear a ball from the left, it fell to an unnamed Worksop trialist who applied the finish into the roof of the net from six yards.

With 15 minutes remaining, new loan signing Kyle Howkins, who signed on a six month loan deal from West Brom yesterday, came on for George Taft in the Stags' defence.

Soon after the change, Adam Murray’s Mansfield broke forward again, ending with Bennett who laid it across the face of goal but nobody was there to connect.

On 79, CJ Hamilton took the place of Mal Benning as Stags operated with three in defence.

Seven minutes later, an-unnamed Worksop trialist was unexpectedly shown the yellow card for delaying the restart of play by James Bell, the enthusiastic match referee. Whilst the trialist was being spoken to by the man in charge, Stags' midfielder Adam Chapman, from inside his own half, struck an incredible free-kick against the Worksop cross bar, but the referee pulled play back.

Stags completed the win three minutes from the end when Hurst's corner was met by Hakeem inside the six yard box to apply the finish and put Stags into a 3-1 lead.

Pat Hoban attempted to carve his name onto the scoresheet with a low drive in the closing stages, but his shot from outside the box was off target.

WORKSOP: Kennedy, Fereday, Johnson, Waddle, Lawrence (Loftus 15), Fenton, Hawkins (Parkin 59), Harrison (Fereday 59), Scott (Trialist 63), Somes (Jordan 59), Wesley (Trialist 59)

SUBS NOT USED: Pereira, Stacey, Graves

STAGS: Shearer, Bennett, Collins (Trialist 49), Taft (Howkins 75), Benning (Hemmings 79), Chapman, M. Rose (Hamilton 62), Hurst, Clements (McGuire 71), D. Rose (Hoban 54), Green (Hakeem 71)

SUBS NOT USED: Jensen, Baxendale,

REFEREE: James Bell



FT report: Worksop Town 1 Mansfield Town 3
chad.co.uk report by Matt Brooks

A crowd of 558 witnessed Mansfield Town ease to a 3-1 win over Worksop Town at Sandy Lane in the final weekend of pre-season action.

Stags skipper Lee Collins broke the deadlock for the visitors moments into the second half before Chris Clements doubled the advantage moments later.

The hosts pulled one back through an unmarked unnamed trialist but Mansfield had the final say, substitute Zayn Hakeem rounding off a comfortable win.


Stags lined up in a 4-1-3-2 formation and looked to attack from the kick off. Malv Benning was afforded a lot of time and space from the first whistle and he had the first effort on the home side’s goal, firing over from distance.

Worksop showed an attacking menace of their own through Adam Scott, who skipped past Lee Collins to get inside the box but saw his cross blocked by a recovering Stags defender for a corner.

It was a warning sign for the away side but turned out to be the only clear sight of goal for Tigers during a first 45 minutes which saw them pinned in their own half for long periods, as Stags dominated possession.

Matt Green showed his striker’s instinct as he held up the ball, turned neatly to create the space only to drag his shot wide of the target from inside the box. Danny Rose headed over from a cross from the right soon after.

There was an early change for Worksop at the heart of defence. Julian Lawrence limped off after an aerial challenge with Green and replaced by Leon Loftus. Mikey Fereday slotted in as the right-hand sided centre half as Loftus went right wing-back.

Mitchell Rose saw a header blocked and Green was also closed down quickly as Stags began to dominate but were yet to test Jon Kennedy in the Worksop goal. He was called in to action moments later when Benning curled one on target.

Kevan Hurst stung the palms of Kennedy with a drive from the edge of the box, Chris Clements chest and volley just over while at the other end Scott fired well over from a free-kick from fully 40 yards.

Green sends a header narrowly wide of Kennedy’s post and Rhys Bennett also missed the target rising high at the back stick unmarked. Then came the effort of the half from Hurst, who skipped inside Loftus and checked on to his right foot only to see his curling shot smack the cross bar.

Clements forced Kennedy into a save diving low to his right as the half ended goalless.

But the breakthrough came early after the re-start when skipper Lee Collins rose to head in Hurst’s in-swinging corner. It was a goal Stags’ dominance deserved.

The hosts looked to respond and Jack Hawkins fired over before a raft of changes from either side.

Stags got their second minutes later when Clements struck home from 12 yards out after Bennett’s pull back.

Scott Shearer was called into action when Mark Fereday found space for Worksop inside right channel and unleashed a powerful strike that the Stags keeper had to get down quickly to tip round the post.

Tigers came forward with promise and their efforts were rewarded when a cross come shot from the left found an orange shirt, number 18, who tucked the ball in to make it 2-1.

A yellow card was issued late on by referee James Bell to Worksop’s number 18 before substitute Zayn Hakeem finished the scoring three minutes from time. Pat Hoban dragged a shot wide before full time.


Tigers (3-5-2): Kennedy, Fereday, Johnson, Waddle, Lawrence (Loftus 15), Fenton, Hawkins (Jordan 59), Harrison (Parkin 59), Scott (Trialist 19, 63), Somes (Mark Fereday 59), Wesley (Trialist 18, 59)

Subs not used: Husbands, trialist, Periera, Stacey, Graves

Stags (4-1-4-1): Shearer, Bennett, Benning (Hemmings), Collins (Trialist 47), Taft (Howkins), Chapman, Clements (Hakeem, 71), Green (Maguire, 71), Hurst, M. Rose (Hamilton 62), D. Rose (Hoban 52)

Subs not used: Jensen, Baxendale

Referee: James Bell.

Attendance: 558



Latest | August 2016