{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2016

11th March 2016 10:40

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 0 - 1 Yeovil Town
Dickson 90+1
Attendance: 2713 (183 from Yeovil)

Date: 5 March 2016

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town lost to a sucker punch of a stoppage time goal at home to Yeovil this afternoon. It was a game that lacked the excitement and drama of the previous two home games, as the Stags had the majority of possession and the majority of chances but lacked quality in the final third. It looked like the game would end 0-0, but in the first minute of 3 minutes of stoppage time, full back Ryan Dickson slotted into the roof of the net from close range after a pull back from the byline. The Stags rarely looked like losing this game and certainly didn’t deserve to do so in our opinion but needed to be better in that final third. The Stags best chances of the afternoon fell to Reggie Lambe who missed a great chance from a corner in the first half and then was desperately unlucky to see his superb shot from 22 yards hit the underside of the bar with Baxendale heading the rebound over on 71 minutes. Lee Collins headed straight at the keeper from a corner, and Chris Clements should have done better from 22 yards when he had time and space to shoot, and Green and Yussuf had chances which the keeper saved. So revenge for Yeovil who of course lost to Reggie Lambe’s stoppage time goal earlier in the season, and the win moves them further away from the bottom of the table after their recent excellent run of form. For Mansfield, the defeats to Newport and Yeovil, both thanks to a late goal, are a bitter pill to swallow with the play-off places still within reach. The Stags are still just 2 points outside those places with 11 games to go. A difficult run of games to follow, against Bristol Rovers, Portsmouth, Wycombe and Northampton. Everything to play for with these good teams to play. The Stags will need to be better in the final third, and finally beat a team that is in the top half of the table, which we haven’t done so far this season. Come on Mansfield!

Mansfield made two changes from side that lost at Newport. Adam Chapman came in for Jamie McGuire. Chapman played despite a broken nose picked up in training. And Reggie Lambe came in for Matty Blair, who was ill. It started as a 4-4-1-1 formation, with Lambe (right) and Baxendale (left) either side of Chapman and Clements, and Daniel playing just behind Green. Yeovil came into the game on a great run of form with 5 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats in their 10 games in 2016, which had started to lift them away from the bottom of the table.

Pitch covers helped to protect parts of the pitch from plenty of rain on Friday and enabled the game to go ahead. Once again, well done to groundsman Mez Merriman and his team for not having a game off this season. There was a heavy shower about 30 minutes before kick off, but the game started in sunshine. There was also a sleet shower during the second half, and a rainbow.



MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 0-1 Yeovil Town
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas, Saturday 05 March 2016

Mansfield Town’s play-off hopes took another knock as they were beaten 1-0 at home by relegation-haunted Yeovil Town with a stoppage time winner for Ryan Dickson this afternoon.

Reggie Lambe had hit the Yeovil bar in a game that Stags dominated, but the crucial moment came in the first minute of added time at the end as Dickson turned home a low Brandon Goodship cross.

Read more: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-news/match-report-mansfield-town-0-1-yeovil-town-1-7776137#ixzz424DNgT9V

It was cruel but indicative of Yeovil’s spirit as they extended their run to only one defeat in nine League matches.

Stags laboured long and played some decent football on a difficult surface in a variety of weather, from sun to sleet, but could not find enough firepower up front to grab a goal.

Illness and injury robbed Mansfield of Matty Blair and Jamie McGuire.

Adam Chapman came in as a holding midfield player for McGuire, who was resting his problem knee, while Lambe took over on the wing from Blair, who has taken ill.

Chapman was playing with a broken nose sustained in training yesterday.

Stags were up against a revitalised Yeovil who, despite only being six points above the drop zone, had only lost once in eight League games.

Junior Daniel, back with the club on loan from Port Vale, was making his second ‘home debut’.

Before the game boss Murray tried to gee his side up with compilation videos of their best moments of the season, which were also on view on the TVs around the ground.

Stags began the game well with through balls for Green and Daniel just over-hit and two good tackles from Alfei at the other end.

On 14 minutes Stags had the first real chance as Lambe let fly from 20 yards, forcing Krysiak to parry.

As a defender tried to hook the loose ball clear, it struck Baxendale’s torso and rebounded back past the post to the relief of the visitors.

On 21 minutes Stags had the first corner of the game, which Chapman pulled back from the right towards Lambe. But he failed to control and ballooned the ball well over.

There was a let-off for Stags on 27 minutes as sloppy defending saw the ball run loose to Smith, who forced Shearer down low to make a save and Dolan slotted the follow-up wide.

It then took a superb challenge from Roberts to poke the ball away from Green as the striker tried to break clear.

It took the visitors until the one added minute to win a corner, but that was cleared as Stags went in happy with their approach work but knowing they needed to work Krysiak more.

There was almost a disaster on the re-start as Chapman gave the ball to Dickson on the right of the box, but he then did well to recover the situation and make the tackle.

Collins had a great chance to break the deadlock on 53 minutes when he had a free header from a Chapman corner from the right, but he planted his header straight at the keeper.

On 58 minutes Collins was then booked for persistent fouling as the sun gave way to snow with a double rainbow over the ground.

A double change by the visitors was followed on 63 minutes by Yussuf coming on for the rusty and ineffective Daniel.

On 66 minutes Lambe beat two men just outside the box and rolled the ball square to Clements, but his low finish was wide.

Next Baxendale was over from distance with a hopeful effort, then Yussuf got into the box down the right and shot low from a tight angle, only winning a corner.

That was cleared to Lambe 20 yards out and his curling shot hit the bar on 71 minutes with Baxendale unable to get over the rebound and heading it over.

Yussuf burst into the box on the right soon after as Stags went up the gears and he was crowded out as he tried to finish.

The visitors were rarely getting out their half, but on 77 minutes sub Bird got away a fierce shot that Shearer had to parry to his right for a corner.

Three minutes later Campbell saw a low long distance shot skid just wide.

Thomas took over from Chapman for the last nine minutes as Stags gave it one final push and in the 89th minute Thomas slipped Green away on goal but an offside flag was raised.

However, with a 0-0 draw nailed-on, sub Goodship got to the left byline and pulled it back low to Dickson who hooked a finish beyond Shearer from six yards as Stags left the field to boos.

STAGS: Shearer, Alfei, Collins, Tafazolli, Benning, Chapman (Thomas 81), Clements, Daniel (Yussuf 63), Lambe, Baxendale (Kavanagh 75), Green. Subs not used: Jensen, Rose, Beardsley, McGuire.

YEOVIL: Krysiak, Dickson, Smith, Ward, Roberts, Tozer, Dolan (Campbell 55), Laird, Cornick (Goodship 77), Zoko (Burd 55), Dawson. Subs not used: Weale, Sokolik, Lacey, Lita.

REFEREE: Darren England of Barnsley.

ATTENDANCE: 2,713 (183 away).



REPORT: Mansfield Town 0-1 Yeovil Town - Three successive wins and unbeaten in five for Glovers
Western Gazette, March 05, 2016

FOR the second time in a week Ryan Dickson earned a 1-0 Sky Bet League Two win for Yeovil Town.

It was not the best of displays from the Glovers at Mansfield Town, but another vital three points opens up a nine-point gap between themselves and the relegation zone.

Read more: http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/REPORT-Mansfield-Town-Yeovil-Town/story-28865948-detail/story.html#ixzz424GTUOnU

There was some big news from the camp ahead of kickoff with the announcement that journeyman striker Leroy Lita had joined Yeovil on a free transfer until the end of the season. The 31-year-old started on the bench.

This was bolstered by the fact that Liam Walsh extended his loan from Everton by a further month, although was still unable to make the starting XI as he sat out his third successive match due to illness.

Meanwhile Simon Gillett has left Huish Park and joined Peterborough United on a one-month loan deal as the midfielder seeks more game time after returning from a serious knee injury in January that kept him out for over a year.

Aside from Walsh, manager Darren Way was also without Jack Compton (hamstring) and long-term absent trio Wes Fogden, Jordan Gibbons and Omar Sowunmi and made three changes from the side that beat Accrington Stanley 1-0 on Tuesday as well.

Nathan Smith came in for Jakub Sokolik - who was substituted at half-time against Stanley due to feeling unwell - at centre-back, Francois Zoko replaced Ryan Bird as the lone striker and Kevin Dawson made his first start since coming back from his own year-long injury layoff, replacing Tahvon Campbell.

Mansfield made a bright and lively start to the game, with Matt Green and Colin Daniel's pace in particular causing the away defence problems and there was a somewhat controversial moment as Artur Krysiak was accused of handling the ball outside the area, but the assistant's flag stayed down.

Too often Krysiak was having to sprint out from his goal and get involved, as Yeovil's high line and Darren Ward's lack of pace was being exposed again and again and the goalkeeper had to make his first meaningful save to parry a long shot from Reggie Lambe - the man who scored a tenth-minute injury-time winner in the reverse of this fixture at Huish Park earlier in the season.

Lambe was then gifted an even better chance after 20 minutes as a corner found him in the box and after earning himself space in the box he skewed his left-footed shot horribly over the bar.

Things settled a bit more for the visitors and after Matty Dolan and Harry Cornick almost combined for a shooting opportunity, Ward and Smith went one better from a free-kick with the latter forcing a sharp save from Scott Shearer with a low strike.

The Stags were enjoying by far the best of the game, though, with Green repeatedly getting in behind the Glovers back line, but failing to truly test Krysiak despite putting together some free-flowing moves. Things ended 0-0 at half-time.

It was much of the same after the break and the hosts had the first decent chance of the second half as well as Lee Collins had a free header from a corner and should have scored, but instead saw his effort well saved by Krysiak.

Way reacted with a double substitution, sending Bird on for the lacklustre Zoko and Campbell replacing Dolan - who was struggling with an injury - as Dawson dropped into central midfield to accommodate the changes.

It certainly helped the away team find their feet in the match as they looked more promising going forward, but the hosts had three fantastic chances to take the lead.

The first saw Green get the better of Smith before trying to lift it over the onrushing Krysiak whose all important touch put it over the bar. Lambe then rattled the bar with a long-range effort that had the 'keeper beaten and he was called into action once again to smother an Adi Yussuf shot following a Marc Laird mistake.

Yeovil rode their luck, however, creating an opportunity themselves when Campbell played in Bird and the striker forced a save and a corner out of Shearer. The West Bromwich Albion loanee then had a chance himself as his cut inside and shot from the left drifted just wide of the post.

As time ticked down it looked as if the Glovers would be happy with a point, but without warning they took the lead in extra-time. Campbell found substitute Brandon Goodship who showed composure to turn his man and lay it on a plate for Dickson to score his second winner in five days having done the same against Accrington midweek.

MANSFIELD (4-4-1-1): Shearer; Alfei; Collins(c); Tafazolli; Benning; Lambe; Chapman (Thomas 81'); Clements; Daniel (Yussuf 63'); Baxendale (Kavanagh 75'); Green.

Subs: Jensen; Rose; Beardsley; Yussuf; Thomas; Kavanagh; McGuire.

Goals: None.

Bookings: Collins.

YEOVIL (4-3-3): Krysiak; Roberts; Ward(c); Smith; Dickson; Laird; Tozer; Dolan (Campbell 55'); Dawson; Zoko (Bird 55'); Cornick (Goodship 77').

Subs: Weale; Sokolik; Bird; Campbell; Goodship; Lacey; Lita.

Goals: Dickson 90'+1.

Bookings: Dawson.

Attendance: 2,713 (183 away).

Referee: Darren England.


Mansfield 0 Yeovil 1 : Late Dickson Strike Gives Glovers A Hat-Trick Of Wins

Yeovil Town got full revenge on Mansfield Town this afternoon at Field Mill, as they conducted a smash'n'grab on the Stags. Last October, Mansfield gained an ultra-late 1-0 away win at Huish Park as they scored in the 10th minute of second half injury time. Today, Yeovil didn't leave it quite that late, but there had still been 91 minutes of play when Ryan Dickson scored his second goal in two games, as he converted a pullback cross from substitute Brandon Goodship to give the Glovers all three points and the first time the club had recorded three wins in a row since the sequence of games that included the club's League One play-off final and their opening fixture in the Championship back in 2013. In doing so, the win lifted them to 20th place, and with York City losing in Dagenham and Redbridge's do-or-die six-pointer at Victoria Road, that put them nine points clear of relegation.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes to their starting line-up, from the side that took to the field on Tuesday night. Jakub Sokolik went off at half time in midweek after suffering a dizzy spell and the man who replaced him at the break got a second chance, with Nathan Smith playing at the back. The front positions were rejigged as well with Brandon Goodship and Tahvon Campbell dropping to the bench, and Kevin Dawson coming in to make his first start for the club since the Manchester United FA Cup tie in January 2015. He was joined by Francois Zoko, now clear of his illness. On the bench, new signing Leroy Lita was included in the squad, whilst Simon Gillett departed as part of a loan spell at Peterborough United. Shaun Jeffers was the 19th man - travelling with the squad but not named on the sheet.

Mansfield's first half play showed them frequently getting in behind the Yeovil defence, with threaded through balls causing problems for the high back line, and Artur Krysiak having to be particularly alert throughout the half. Early on they had a shout for a penalty kick turned down as Nathan Smith challenged inside the box, whilst Krysiak's rush to collect a through ball had them appealing for a handball as the keeper caught the ball on the line of the penalty box, with the question of whether he had stepped over it being turned down by both referee and linesman. Reggie Lambe - scorer of the Stags winning goal last October - got in the first effort on goal as he forced Krysiak into a parried save, with Smith's attempt to clear ricocheting off the legs of James Baxendale and wide.

Ryan Tafazolli headed over the bar from a corner, whilst at the other end Yeovil's chances were few and far between - the odd sight of centre-back pairing Darren Ward and Nathan Smith combining as the latter forced the first save from Scott Shearer, half an hour into the game. But in the main, it was all Mansfield, with Connor Roberts putting in a superb challenge on Matt Green to block the striker's teeing up of a shot and send the ball out for a corner. Then Colin Daniel put a header wide and on the balance of play the Glovers were probably glad to be going in level at the break.

Whilst Darren Way didn't make any half time substitutions, it became clear that the half time talk had involved a ten minute warning to the eleven who were on the pitch. After Lee Collins had forced Artur Krysiak into another strong save, following a corner, out came a double substitution. In fairness to the pair who came off, Matt Dolan appeared to be limping as he was withdrawn, whilst Francois Zoko had only recently come back from illness, possibly contributing to his quiet performance. They were replaced by Ryan Bird and Tahvon Campbell, meaning that Kevin Dawson slipped back into midfield to cover Dolan's slot. There was also a subtle tweaking of the formation, with Harry Cornick dropping much deeper, as Bird and Campbell played as a front pairing in a 4-3-1-2.

This was an improved second half performance in that Mansfield were not getting the extreme gaps behind the Glovers back four that kept Artur Krysiak on his toes so much during the first period. But still Chris Clements shot wide for the home side, whilst Matt Green's effort had to be parried by the Glovers keeper for a corner. Then Mansfield came inches away from the lead as Reggie Lambe struck the crossbar after Mansfield had kept a corner routine alive, quickly followed by Stags substitute Adi Yussuf being denied by Krysiak, to keep the game goalless.

In the closing stages, Harry Cornick seemed to pull up with a hamstring tweak and Brandon Goodship replaced him, with the Glovers restoring their 4-3-3 for the final 20 minutes of the match. Tahvon Campbell shot just wide from 20 yards out, but with two minutes remaining Mansfield were denied by the linesman's offside flag as Matt Green put the ball into the back of the net - thankfully the early raise of the flag made it clear it wouldn't count. As the game dipped into injury time, the Glovers struck gold. Brandon Goodship got himself to the byline, and pulled the ball back across the box, finding Ryan Dickson running in at close range to convert from six yards out to stun Mansfield in the same way that they had stunned the Glovers so badly back in October. On the balance of the game, it might not have been warranted, but in terms of a spot of revenge on the Huish Park result, it most definitely was, putting Yeovil Town nine points clear of the drop as Dagenham and Redbridge finally broke their home ground hoodoo with a 1-0 win over York City. With eleven games remaining, the pressure is surely lifting off the club, hopefully meaning they can look upwards during the closing stages of the 2015-16 season.

Link: 2015-16 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Mansfield Town 0 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Ryan Dickson (0-1, 90 mins)

Mansfield Town:
1. Scott Shearer
27. Daniel Alfei 6. Lee Collins 15. Ryan Tafazolli 3. Malvind Benning
8. Chris Clements 7. Adam Chapmam 14. Colin Daniel
31. James Baxendale 10. Matt Green 19. Reggie Lambe

4. Mitchell Rose 9. Chris Beardsley 12. Brian Jensen 18. Adi Yussuf (62 mins for Colin Daniel) 20. Jack Thomas (81 mins for Adam Chapman) 23. Sean Kavanagh (74 mins for James Baxendale) 24. Jamie McGuire

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
24. Connor Roberts 26. Darren Ward (Capt) 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson
8. Marc Laird 4. Matt Dolan 2. Ben Tozer
7. Kevin Dawson 39. Francois Zoko 23. Harry Cornick

12. Chris Weale (GK) 6. Jakub Sokolik 9. Ryan Bird (55 mins for Francois Zoko) 19. Brandon Goodship (77 mins for Harry Cornick) 16. Tahvon Campbell (56 mins for Matt Dolan) 21. Alex Lacey 38. Leroy Lita

Mansfield Town Bookings: Lee Collins (foul, 58 mins)

Yeovil Bookings: Kevin Dawson (foul, 67 mins)

Mansfield Town Match Statistics: Possession: 49%; Shots: 12; Shots On Target: 6; Corners: 5; Fouls: 13.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 51%; Shots: 6; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 2; Fouls: 9.

Referee: Darren England (South Yorkshire). Assistants: Steven Rushton (Staffordshire) and David Richardson (West Yorkshire). Fourth Official: Neil Radford (Worcestershire).

Attendance: 2,713 (with 183 Yeovil supporters).



Latest | March 2016