{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2015

2nd September 2015 22:05

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
York City 1 - 2 Mansfield Town
Thompson 6. Green 12, 30
Attendance: 3,215 (632 from Mansfield)

Date: 29 August 2015

Martin Shaw and Charlie Slater at Bootham Crescent

Mansfield Town won 2-1 at York City this afternoon thanks to a brace from returning hero Matt Green. They were Green’s first goals for Mansfield since he secured promotion to the Football League with goals against Hereford and Wrexham. York had taken an early lead as they tore into the Stags from the kick-off, but Green equalised on 12 minutes from close range following a clever corner kick routine, that has been tried a few times this season. Lambe pulled the corner back to Chapman who swept the ball goalwards to the awaiting Green who was in the right place at the right time to find the back of the net from 6 yards. Mansfield got on top and took the lead with an outstanding solo goal from Green on 30 minutes. Lambe did well to win the ball in his own half, and eventually Westcarr slid the ball forward into Green’s path. Green had a lot of work to do with three defenders between him and the goal, but he cut inside and fired a great shot into the bottom left corner of the net from 18 yards. Brilliant from Greenie and exactly what we’ve been missing for the past two seasons. In the second half, York rarely looked like equalising despite having plenty of possession as the Stags defence repelled crosses with Tafazolli once again outstanding with headers away and blocks and the rest of the defence and midfield keeping York at bay. It was a terrific performance from Mansfield overall, with some incisive attacking in the first half and stoic defending in the second. There was even a rare touch of the ball from owner John Radford in the second half as he controlled a Ryan Tafazolli clearance in the directors box!

Today was the first time Mansfield have come from behind to win for nearly 18 months, at Hartlepool in March 2014.
The Stags are in 8th place in the table. Wonderful stuff from Murray and his managerial team to have the Stags off to such a good start with a new team.

Match report in the Match Centre


Report: York 1-2 Stags
mansfieldtown.net, 29th August 2015, by Steve Hartshorn

Mansfield Town recorded a fine 2-1 victory away at York City as Stags striker Matt Green blasted a first half double to cancel out City's sixth minute opener.

Boss Adam Murray named the same starting 11 that had drawn 1-1 with Oxford United seven days previously, with Stags enjoying a full week's preparation for this fixture for the first time this season.

York started brightly and had Stags' on the back foot early on.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/report-york-1-2-stags-2656538.aspx#i1sqQCYL9hVDUljP.99

Within six minutes, Russ Wilcox's side had broken the deadlock following a free kick conceded down the Mansfield right.

The kick, taken by Luke Summerfield, found Reece Thompson whose deft touch guided the ball home from close range..

On 12 minutes, Stags' midfielder Mitchell Rose let fly from 18 yards and it was deflected out for Stags’ first corner of the game. From the resulting set-piece, Chapman placed the ball into the area where Matt Green was on hand to slot home from short range.

Five minutes later, Chris Clements received the first booking of the game following a foul on the half way line when he kicked the ball away, delaying the restart of play.

After the eager start from the home side, the equaliser certainly gave Stags confidence and from a Craig Westcarr cross from the right, Green was only inches away from giving Stags the lead. A little later Stags were awarded a free-kick right on the edge of the City area, but despite the continued away team pressure, it came to nothing.

Stags were to find their reward for good play on the half-hour mark when a fine through ball from midfield by Rose saw Matt Green race away and with the City defence on the backspin he fired in an unstoppable shot giving the City keeper Flinders no chance whatsoever as Stags made the breakthrough.

In the 35th minute, York created a chance following some good work down the City left with Reece Thompson, resulting in the first chance of the game for ex Stags striker Vadaine Oliver, but his outstretched effort flew wide.

Both sides were creating chances; Reggie Lambe firing well over for Mansfield after good work, whilst the home side tried desperately to get back into what was developing into an entertaining encounter.

Just before the half-time whistle, Matt Green was given a chance to complete his hat-trick, but the Minstermen’s keeper read the situation and cleared away the danger from just outside his area.

City made a change for the start of the second half, as Ben Godfrey came on for Summerfield.

Stags re-started brightly, with a long range Mitchell Rose shot that was fumbled by Scott Flinders earning Stags a corner that came to nothing.

Adam Murray's side were playing with confidence at this point in the game. Rose drew cries for a penalty from the Stags’ following in the 52nd minute but referee Harrington waved away any appeal. Minutes later Westcarr went down in the area but again, the referee gave nothing.

On the hour mark Stags made their first change with Jack Thomas coming on for the industrious Mitchell Rose.

York then forced a chance but after a good cross Oliver’s header hit the impressive Ryan Tafazolli instead of forcing Brian Jensen into a save.

City, desperately in search of an equaliser, sent on their second substitute, with Emile Sinclair making it three up top for Russ Wilcox’s men.

Then, a free kick by Mal Benning from Stags' right hand side came to nothing and was grabbed in mid-air by the home keeper.

Moments later Wilcox threw on Josh Carson for goalscorer Thompson. This was City’s last throw of the dice and Stags responded from the touchline as Lee Collins replaced Reggie Lambe to bring added defensive stability.

City won a corner and although Femi Ilesanmi got on the end of it, the outrushing Jensen put him off and his header drifted harmlessly over.

Green then caused a flutter when he was put through, but the home keeper dived well at his feet, denying the number 10 the chance of the matchball.

With only four minutes remaining of normal time, good work by Benning set up Matt Green who delightfully laid the ball back to Clements, whose long range effort grazed the bottom right hand post.

Westcarr, who had moments before been on the end of a rough challenge in midfield, was replaced by Chris Beardsley on 89 minutes.

There was shock in the away end when the 4th official held up the board for an incredible seven minutes of added on time.

City then forced a corner which was cleared only as far as Carson, whose ball back into the box was not met by any attacking York player.

As time ran out Matt Green won a free kick close to the corner flag which eventually resulted in Stags winning a flag kick. From York’s breakaway Benning put the ball out for a throw-in, but held onto the ball, which saw him given a yellow card from the referee.

The final whistle was greeted with cheers from the Stags following of 632. It was been a justified well earned victory for Adam Murray's Mansfield, whose shape and discipline were tested in equal measure in a game which underlined their early season promise.


York City go down 2-1 to Mansfield after Matt Green brace
York Press, by Dave Flett

REECE Thompson’s second goal of the season could not save York City from a 2-1 home defeat to Mansfield.

Ex-Frickley forward Thompson gave the Minstermen an early lead at Bootham Crescent but Stags striker Matt Green struck twice before half-time and the hosts could not find a way back into the match.

It was a happy return for Green to a ground that saw him sent off for deliberate handball on his last visit during the 2012 Conference play-off semi-finals. The Minstermen forged ahead after just six minutes when Thompson won a free kick through the left channel and then got on the end of Luke Summerfield’s inswinging delivery to beat veteran Mansfield keeper Brian Jen sen from a couple of yards.


But after James Berrett had deflected a 25-yard Mitchell Rose effort wide, the Stags levelled from the resulting corner on 13 minutes.

Slack home marking saw Reggie Lambe’s low-struck flag kick pick out Krystian Pearce in the penalty box.

The Mansfield centre-back then helped the ball on to the far post where Green pounced from three yards.

At the other end of the pitch, a smartly-worked free kick between Summerfield and Berrett led to a chance that Vadaine Oliver volleyed over before Adam Murray’s men took the lead on the half-hour.

Craig Westcarr slid a ball through the left channel for Green to charge on to and, after running at Dave Winfield, he fired a low 15-yard drive inside Scott Flinders’ near post.

For City, David Tuntonda then sent a dangerous low cross in from the left but Oliver cleared the crossbar from eight yards. Unmarked skipper Russell Penn also missed the target with his head from seven yards following a Marvin McCoy centre.

After the break, Flinders spilled a hopeful, long-range Malvind Benning effort before fumbling the ball behind for a corner.

Berrett also dragged a chance wastefully wide after intercepting Adam Chapman’s underhit back pass and Femi Ilesanmi headed over two chances from deliveries by the ex-Yeovil midfielder.

Mansfield's Chris Clements, meanwhile, hit the outside of a post from 20 yards on 85 minutes as City avoided a heavier margin of defeat.

York: Flinders; Lowe, Winfield, Ilesanmi; McCoy (Sinclair, 65), Penn, Summerfield (Godfrey, 46), Berrett, Tutonda; Oliver, Thompson (Carson, 76). Subs not used: Ingham, Rzonca, McCombe, Nolan.

Mansfield: Jensen, Hunt, Pearce, Tazazolli, Benning, Lambe (Collins, 77), Chapman, Rose (J Thomas, 60), Clements, Westcarr (Beardsley, 89), Green. Subs not used: Marsden, N Thomas, Yussuf, McGuire.

Attendance: 3,215 (632 from Mansfield)



Latest | September 2015