{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2015

29th July 2015 23:54

Pre-Season Friendly
Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Leicester City
Matt Green pen 27. Nugent 10.
Attendance: 4273 (1608 from Leicester)

Date: 25 July 2015

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town drew 1-1 with Leicester City at the One Call Stadium in the second and last home pre-season friendly this afternoon. Leicester stayed in the Premier League last season with a terrific late run of form and arrived at Field Mill with a new manager in Claudio Ranieri along with a whole host of household names and all of their first team squad. Adam Murray had said before the MK Dons game that he didn’t expect Mansfield to see a lot of the ball in the two games, but again today, as on Tuesday, his team more than held their own. Indeed Mansfield arguably were the better side today, until wholesale changes were made to both sides midway through the second half. David Nugent put Leicester in front against the run of play after 10 minutes with Mansfield’s defence being too hesitant allowing Nugent to shoot from the edge of the box. Scott Shearer had to make good saves after 15 minutes from Croatian international Andrej Kramaric and then from a free header from Liam Moore. The Stags defence looked a little shaky in those early stages but improved greatly after that. The Stags were deservedly level on 27 minutes. Matt Green brilliantly nodded a Scott Shearer kick into the path of Mitch Rose who surged into the box. Such was the pace of Rose’s burst into the box that the slightest touch would take him down and that’s what happened as he was clipped by Dean Hammond. Mansfield haven’t been getting penalties for over a season and a half now, and it’s mainly because players haven’t been making this sort of pacey run into the box. Matt Green stepped up and confidently smashed the penalty into the left corner of the net, giving Mark Schwarzer no chance. It was fitting that Green and Rose were involved in the goal because they were the two outstanding players in Mansfield’s impressive afternoon. On the stroke of half time, Chris Clements curled a cracking a shot that thumped against the bar from outside the box. If Clements continues to play in this more advanced role than he has in previous seasons, he will surely add to his tally of just two Stags goals. The second half was also enjoyable to watch though became disjointed after multiple substitutions. The Stags were greeted by standing ovations both at the end of the first half and the end of the game and both were richly deserved. Mitch Rose staked a big claim for a starting position in midfield when the League season kicks off, Matt Green looked very sharp especially considering the long lay-off he’s had, while Chris Clements caught the eye in a more advanced role. All very encouraging, but as Adam Murray told me after the game: don’t get carried away! We can at least enjoy the moment though.


Mansfield Town hold Premier League Leicester City in pre-season friendly
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas, Saturday 25 July 2015

Mansfield Town held the might of Premier League neighbours Leicester City to a superb 1-1 draw in this afternoon’s pre-season friendly at the One Call Stadium.

The Stags played some lovely football over the 90 minutes and twice hit the woodwork against their multi-million pound opponents.


For a pre-season friendly, it had pace and bite and, with over 1,600 away fans making the short trip up the M1, the game enjoyed a fine atmosphere.

We even had a streaker, though he preserved his modesty with a pair of pants!

Stags fell behind on 10 minutes from a low deflected David Nugent shot - City’s first real raid.

But goal ace Matt Green levelled from the spot on 27 minutes after Mitchell Rose, who got through so much hard work in central midfield, had won the penalty.

Chris Clements and Nathan Thomas then both then saw efforts hit the Foxes’ woodwork as they gave new City boss Claudio Ranieri plenty of food for thought.

Stags had held Milton Keynes Dons to a 1-1 home draw in midweek and again today showed what massive potential this new-look side has this season.

Mansfield were first to threaten on four minutes as Green shrugged off the challenge of Simpson to reach a Chapman through ball and got away an on-target shot that Schwarzer had to save.

But City were ahead with their first shot of the game on 10 minutes.

Nugent sent in a low effort from 20 yards that took a slight deflection and found its way inside Shearer’s left hand post.

The word ‘friendly’ was forgotten on 13 minutes as Rose felt Nugent had caught him in the face while he was on the floor making a tackle and then seemed to tread on him as Rose lashed out a boot.

The two squared up and when calm was restored, Rose was booked.

On 15 minutes Shearer had three saves to make. The first was the most important as he spread himself to deny Croatian star Kramaric after he had gone clear from Okazaki’s through ball.

From successive corners he then had to tip over a dipping header from Moore and block a far post header by Simpson.

We had a brief hold-up for a poor attempt at a streak by a Leicester fan who forget to remove his underwear.

But when the real action returned, Stags quickly levelled on 27 minutes.

Rose was taken out by Hammond’s challenge in the box and the referee pointed straight to the spot.

The crowd chanted Green’s name as he stepped up to drill a powerful, perfect penalty past Australian veteran Schwarzer.

Shearer survived a dicey moment as he tried to dribble past Kramaric, who put in a tackle.

In stoppage time Clements twisted and turned just outside the City box before sending a powerful dipping right foot shot at goal that came back off the crossbar.

It was the final act of a highly entertaining and very competitive first half.

For the second half Stags sent on Westcarr for Green while both sides changed keepers.

Within two minutes Stags had forced two good saves from Schmeichel.

Pearce turned a corner on target at the far post where the Dane got down to turn it for a corner. When that was cleared to Nathan Thomas, 25 yards out, his goalbound shot was turned onto the post by Schmeichel.

Mansfield sent on an unnamed trialist winger on 59 minutes to take over from Lambe.

On 62 minutes City replaced their entire outfield line-up while Stags continued to send on single subs at regular intervals.

Among the City subs were some big names and they certainly pepped up the visitors, who began to enjoy more possession.

Westcarr fired straight at the keeper from a half-cleared Benning free kick with 11 minutes to go.

STAGS: Shearer, Chapman (McGuire 77), Pearce, Clements (Jack Thomas 67), Green (Westcarr HT), Benning, Rose, Nathan Thomas (Beardsley 69), Hunt (Marsden 62), Lambe (trialist 59), Collins (Tafazolli 77).

LEICESTER: Schwarzer (Schmeichel HT), De Laet, Chilwell, Hammond, Barmby, Lawrence, Simpson, Moore, Okazaki, Kramaric, Nugent. From 63mins: Schmeichel; Wasyl, Huth, Fuchs; Albrighton, Drinkwater, King, Mahrez, Schlupp; Ulloa, Vardy.

REFEREE: David Coote.

ATTENDANCE: 4,273 (1,608 away).


Mansfield 1 Leicester City 1 - match report: Claudio Ranieri's men stutter in second pre-season game
By Jordan Blackwell, Mercury_Sport, July 25, 2015

Claudio Ranieri's second match in charge of Leicester City ended all square as League Two side Mansfield held them to a 1-1 draw in their latest pre-season friendly.

David Nugent's 20-yard effort gave City the lead after 10 minutes, as Ranieri's men enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges.

But Mansfield levelled proceedings with a Matt Green penalty midway through the first half and the hosts went on to enjoy the better chances of the match, twice hitting the woodwork.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Mansfield-1-Leicester-City-1-match-report-Claudio/story-27483256-detail/story.html#ixzz3gwjYDkuD

Mansfield striker Green had the first effort of the match, outmuscling Danny Simpson before bending a shot into the arms of Mark Schwarzer from the edge of the penalty area.

But it was City, who began in a 3-4-1-2 formation, who grabbed the first goal, Nugent netting with City's opening effort.

Liam Moore won the ball in defence and Dean Hammond sent Andrej Kramaric away down the left wing. The Croatian cut inside, laying off to Nugent, who expertly curled into the far corner.

Nugent was then involved in a scuffle with Mansfield midfielder Mitchell Rose. A battle for the ball left Rose on the floor and Nugent appeared to tread on him, with Rose lashing out in retaliation. Both players were booked.

Away from the handbags, City were still on the front foot. Shinji Okazaki found Kramaric free in the penalty area with an excellent ball in behind, but the Croatian took too long to get his shot away and Scott Shearer was able to block the tame effort when it eventually came.

From the resulting corner, Moore looped a header goalwards, which Shearer tipped over. Simpson headed the following corner straight at the Mansfield 'keeper.

The game was delayed for a few moments when a streaker, who had thankfully kept his underwear on, clambered out from the 1,600-strong City support and came onto the field to give Schwarzer a hug.

Shortly after, Hammond bumped into Rose inside the City box, giving the referee cause to point to the spot. Green slammed home the penalty emphatically.

The match slowed down in pace after the equaliser, but a flurry of activity before the half-time whistle saw both sides miss chances.

Kramaric nearly caught out Shearer when the Mansfield goalkeeper dallied on the ball, but the Croatian could not quite stretch his leg far enough.

Mansfield had two chances of their own, Reggie Lambe crossing for Green, who could not get a strong enough contact on his effort at goal. Then, moments later, Chris Clements hit an excellent strike from 25 yards that deceived Schwarzer, but cannoned off the crossbar.

Okazaki had the final chance of the half, glancing wide first-half captain Tom Lawrence's whipped free-kick.

The second half was a less exciting affair, with City changing all 10 outfield players on the 60-minute mark.

Before then, Mansfield twice tested half-time substitute Kasper Schmeichel. Krystian Pearce turned a corner goalwards, with the Dane having to scramble across his goal-line to keep it out.

The resulting corner was cleared to Nathan Thomas, who struck a sweet half-volley from 25 yards, only to see Schmeichel tip the ball onto the post.

Robert Huth skewed a volley well wide and Jamie Vardy nearly latched on to a wayward back-pass, but City failed to test Mansfield substitute goalkeeper Brian Jensen in the second period.

Danny Drinkwater played some excellent cross-field balls to Marc Albrighton and Jeff Schlupp showed plenty of his pace, but the match petered out, both sides accepting of the draw.

City continue their pre-season preparations against Burton Albion on Tuesday.

Leicester (3-4-1-2): Schwarzer (Schmeichel 45); Simpson (Wasilewski 61), Moore (Huth 61), Chilwell (Fuchs 61); de Laet (Albrighton 61), Hammond (King 61), Lawrence (Drinkwater 61), Barmby (Schlupp 61); Nugent (Mahrez 61); Kramaric (Ulloa 61), Okazaki (Vardy 61).

Mansfield (4-5-1): Shearer (Jensen 45); Hunt (Marsden 62), Pearce, Collins (McGuire 76), Benning; N Thomas (Beardsley 69), Chapman (Tafazolli 76), Clements (J Thomas 66), Rose, Lambe (Trialist 59); Green (Westcarr 45).



Latest | July 2015