{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2014

18th September 2014 22:41

FA confirm no further action against Stags boss Cox
chad.co.uk, 16 September 2014

The Football Association have this afternoon confirmed that no further action will be taken against Mansfield Town manager Paul Cox, who was sent to the stands towards the end of Saturday’s match at Wycombe Wanderers for kicking over a water bottle inside the away dugout.


That means the Stags boss will take his place in the stand for tonight’s visit of second-placed Morecambe.

A deal to bring in transfer target Reggie Lambe has still not been completed so he will not feature in tonight’s squad, with Cox now hoping he can be signed in time for Saturday’s visit of Carlisle United.


Cox calls for killer instinct
mansfieldtown.net, 15th September 2014

Boss wants teams to be punished when we’re on top - starting with Morecambe.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/cox-calls-for-killer-instinct-1916774.aspx#jGmEVy12xKP3GsQq.99

Manager Paul Cox isn’t surprised that tomorrow’s opponents, Morecambe, have got off to a solid start in Sky Bet League Two this season and is expecting a tough encounter.

The Shrimps, who currently occupy second spot - three points behind early leaders Burton Albion, were expected to struggle by most bookmakers this term.

However, Jim Bentley’s team have won five of their first seven matches and beat Plymouth Argyle last time out.

“It doesn’t surprise me [that they’ve started well, because they did the same thing last year,” said Cox.

“They’re having an excellent start and teams are placed where they rightly should be. They’re winning football matches and it’ll be a tough game for us.”

Following two good displays on the road in recent weeks, our boss is eager for us to now find our killer instinct and punish teams when we’re on top in games.

He continued: “I just want us to carry on a bit of a theme from Saturday[‘s match at Wycombe Wanderers]. We played well, were robust, and we’ve just now got to start finishing off the chances.

“We’ve had two games now, as I thought Exeter was the same, where we should have been out of sight by half-time with the amount of chances that we’ve created.

“When you let teams off the hook at this level of football, they come back and punish you.

“So the lads are working extremely hard. They’re creating good opportunities and we played some good stuff on Saturday, but we need that end product. Hopefully, we can ‘get back on the horse’ tomorrow night.”

Reflecting more on the controversial 2-1 defeat at Adams Park, our boss said: “We’ve spoken about the penalty decision and even for the second goal, I thought there was a foul during the build up.

He added: “I think [the penalty decision] was a massive turning point in the game. It was, for me, a strange decision for a referee to give.

“The ball is travelling at 100 miles per hour, heading towards goal, and [Martin] Riley hasn’t put his hand up - all he’s done is dropped his shoulder down towards the ball.

“For me, it didn’t even look as though it was in the box and with all those things happening as quickly as they do, I think you’ve got to be 100% certain that it was a penalty.

“So there was a little bit of frustration, because we were on top at that point and looking certain to come in 1-0 to the good at half-time.”

Cox, who was sent to the stands deep into injury-time at the end of the match, is still waiting to hear whether or not he’ll face any punishment from the Football Association.

“I’ve spoken to the referee today,” said our boss. “I asked him after the game why he sent me to the stands and he admitted it was because I kicked some water bottles.

“I said to him that was it just out of frustration and a little bit of passion, because we didn’t it was our free-kick and we didn’t get the ball moving as quickly as I’d have liked.

“There was nothing malicious in it to any of the officials, players or anything like that, it was just frustration on my count.”

He added: “It’ll be interesting to see what the FA say. It was an act of passion. There was nobody hurt or injured and I didn’t abuse anybody verbally or physically.

“It was basically in my own technical area, so you hope that people use common sense.”

In team news ahead of tomorrow night’s match with Morecambe, Simon Heslop should be back to full fitness, whilst Jamie McGuire is making good progress on an injury he suffered in training last week.

Paul Cox's full interview is available on Stags Player. To subscribe, click here.


Cox not expecting dug-out ban for visit of Morecambe
chad.co.uk, 15/09/2014

Mansfield Town boss Paul Cox expects to be in the dug-out for tomorrow’s visit of high-flying Morecambe, but has not yet heard anything official from the FA after being sent to the stands at Wycombe on Saturday.


Cox also has no idea if Bermudian international midfielder Reggie Lambe will be joining the club after a deal appeared to be done before the 2-1 defeat at Adams Park but never materialised.

Cox was furious with some of the decisions by referee Darren Deadman on Saturday, none more so than a game-changing penalty decision against Martin Riley and then when he was sent from the dug-out in stoppage time for kicking a water bottle in anger after his players failed to take the quick free kick he was demanding.

Cox said: “I spoke to the referee after the game and asked why I had been sent to the stand and he said it was for kicking a water bottle.

“I told him it was out of frustration and a bit of passion and that I was a bit disappointed at the decision.

“He admitted he should have come across and just given me a telling-off. So it will be interesting to see what the FA say. Sometimes people need to use common sense. No one was injured or abused and I was within my technical area.”

Former Ipswich player Lambe, who played in the MLS for Toronto last season, trained with the Stags last week and Cox was hoping he could get the paperwork done and international clearance through in time for Wycombe.

However, the deal was not completed and Cox said: “I need to speak to the chairman this afternoon and see why the deal wasn’t done.

“Reggie is a good player who would give us another dimension when we want to try different systems. He can play anywhere across midfield, in the hole or up front.

“I still hope I can bring him in. If not we will have to soldier on. If I have to stick to my quota of 21 we will have to do the best we possibly can.

“We desperately need a couple of bodies to take some pressure off the lads here. They are going through a brick wall for this club right now. But they are human beings and they are putting their health and fitness on the line for this club.”

Cox will definitely still be without Luke Jones and John Dempster tomorrow while Ritchie Sutton, Jamie McGuire and Simon Heslop are likely to be involved but less than 100 per cent fit.

Tomorrow is the first of two home games in five days as Mansfield try to close the two-point gap to the play-off spots.

“The boys are working extremely hard and creating a number of chances, so we just need to start finishing them off,” he said. “If we could get six points to get into the top three I think these players would deserve a massive pat on the back.

“They are two tough games. But the boys are hungry for it.

“Morecambe are second but they got off to a good start last year as well so it’s no surprise.

“I just want us to carry on a bit of a theme from Saturday. We looked robust but just needed to finish off our chances.

“Like at Exeter, at Wycombe we should have been out of sight by half-time. If you let teams off the hook at this level they will punish you.”


'Cheap shots' at Stags style don't bother manager Paul Cox
Nottingham Post by Sarah Clapson

MANSFIELD Town boss Paul Cox has defended his team's style of play.

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Cheap-shots-Stags-style-don-t-bother-Cox/story-22930550-detail/story.html?#ixzz3DT7LhFjp

Opposite number Gareth Ainsworth declared Stags 'the most physical team in the league' who play 'very direct football' after Wycombe Wanderers' 2-1 victory on Saturday.

Cox has also come in for criticism from Mansfield fans over a tendency to play long ball.

But the man himself insists 'cheap shots' from other managers do not bother him.

"I've got broad shoulders," said Cox.

"The one thing we've been with this football club is ultra successful in the last three years. Some people haven't with the way they've played.

"That's their decision - the way they want to play and the way they want to go about it.

"I'll keep grabbing this club by the scruff of the neck and trying to take it forward.

"How we do that will be up for discussion, but, ultimately, no-one can complain about the last three years we've had here.

"Sometimes, some of the shots we take are a little bit cheap, in my eyes.

"I've not come across a team at this level yet that plays football this season.

"Last season, give them credit, Chesterfield popped it about and Rochdale popped it about. But there aren't many teams who play the pure game at this level.

"We do try to get the ball wide as quick as possible and we try to create opportunities by putting the ball in the box.

"When we look a little bit uncouth is when we get anxious and we go back to front too early.

"That's not coached on the training ground or instilled into them as players. We're trying to win a football match, and that's all I'll say on that."

With that in mind, Mansfield are targeting two victories from their upcoming home games, starting against Morecambe tonight.

"If we can get the six points, then you're in and around that top three," said Cox, who had hoped to sign former Ipswich Town midfielder Reggie Lambe last week but admits he is unsure if the deal will still happen.

"The players deserve a massive pat on the back.

"But they are two tough games.

"If we can get two wins, that will really put us in a positive position.

"Then hopefully we can get one or two of the injured boys back and firing on all cylinders to take us into October and November."


Morecambe boss Bentley: We’ll have to roll our sleeves up at Mansfield

Morecambe boss Jim Bentley has challenged his side to stand up and be counted at Mansfield on Tuesday night.

The Shrimps chief knows his side will be in for a physical battle after two bruising clashes with the Stags last season.

Bentley however knows his second-placed side have the momentum heading into the League 2 clash.

He said: “They’re a big, strong, physical side.

“They play to their strengths and we know going there we’re going to have to roll our sleeves up and stand up and be counted, be men.

“Football always throws up different scenarios and the Mansfield match is certainly different.

“It will be a tough game for us. They’re quite direct with big, strong players on the end of set plays and long throws.

“If we want to do well this season we’ve got to face different challenges. We’ll come up against passing sides, up against direct sides.

“We’ve got confidence and momentum after the win on Saturday and hopefully we can get more points on the board.”

Fine performances throughout the squad have given Bentley plenty to think about in terms of selection with captain Mark Hughes available again after a three-match ban.

The Shrimps boss said: “We’ve got one or two selection headaches but we’ve still got one or two injuries too.

“We’ll see what’s what and what fits our game plan. For those that aren’t in the starting 11 I always say to the lads on the bench that they can come on and affect the game.

“We’ve proved in the past we can do that.

“I’d certainly rather have selection headaches than have no players at all.”

Jack Redshaw and Shaun Beeley are both doubts after missing the win against Plymouth on Saturday with ankle knocks.



Latest | September 2014