{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2012

25th October 2012 12:23

FA Cup 4th qualifying round
Workington 1 - 2 Mansfield Town
Arnison pen 86. Speight 32, 67.
Attendance: 701 (approx 75 from Mansfield)

Date: 20 October 2012

Martin Shaw at Borough Park

Mansfield Town overcame a spirited Workington side to reach the FA Cup first round and a chance of drawing Sheffield United, Portsmouth, Notts County or Chesterfield in the draw on Sunday lunchtime. Two goals from Jake Speight were enough to win it for the Stags, though a blunder by keeper Shane Redmond gifted Workington a penalty four minutes from time and a route back into the tie, but Redmond partially atoned with a late save to deny Vaulks. Earlier, the impressive Jonny Wright had hit the top of the bar and the outside of the post for Workington, and he then missed from 6 yards just before the penalty. Workington, from a league below the Stags, could rightly claim that they deserved a replay Jake Speight was the Stags man of the match, while Junior Daniel particularly impressed in a defensive role, including clearing an effort off the line.

Stags boss Paul Cox made three enforced changes from the side that beat Forest Green Rovers. Shane Redmond returned in goal as Notts County did not want Liam Mitchell cup-tied. Luke Jones came in for the injured Exodus Geohaghon. And Anthony Howell replaced the suspended Adam Murray. It started as a 3-4-3 formation with Sutton, Jones and Dempster in defence, but during the first half, Junior Daniel moved back from left midfield into a left back slot in a 4-3-3 formation.

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre

Man of the match: Jake Speight


Workington 1-2 Mansfield Town, FA Cup, Saturday 20th October
chad.co.uk report By John Lomas

A JAKE Speight double earned Mansfield Town a place in the FA Cup first round proper, but the Stags were made to work hard for their victory against gutsy Blue Square Bet North outfit Workington at Borough Park this afternoon.


Speight had Mansfield narrowly ahead against the run of play with a 33rd minute strike in a first half in which the home side hit the woodwork three times and saw Junior Daniel make a goal line clearance.

Mansfield controlled things better after the break and the tie looked sealed when Speight doubled his tally on 67 minutes.

However, keeper Shane Redmond conceded a needless penalty four minutes from time to gift the Reds a lifeline.

And it took a good save from Redmond soon after to prevent a replay in a nervous finish to a good cup tie.

The Stags side showed three changes. Exodus Geohaghon was ruled out with his ankle injury, skipper Adam Murray served a one game suspension, and keeper Liam Mitchell was unavailable as Notts County did not want the loanee cup-tied.

Luke Jones returned from injury to take his place in a three-man defence with Anthony Howell coming into midfield and Redmond back in goal.

Central defender Dempster was handed the captain's armband for the day.

In the opening minute Vaulks flicked a backheader well wide from a left wing cross by Arnison for the home side.

Taylor then confidently claimed Roberts' first corner for the visitors and punched clear a second soon after.

Arnison did well on a fifth minute break to check inside and curl a left footed effort on target from 25 yards, though Redmond was always safely behind it.

Roberts tried to send Speight through after Wright had lost the ball but overhit the pass and the ball ran through to Taylor.

Roberts curled a decent free kick in from the right which Jones guided wide with his head in a crowded six yard box.

Roberts made space in the centre of the park on 13 minutes before trying to put Speight away. He appeared to be offside but was allowed to continue and forced Taylor to parry down to his right.

Workington swept straight upfield and Arnison's square pass picked out Wright whose looping finish clipped the top of the Mansfield crossbar from 20 yards on 14 minutes.

Two minutes later a high Daniel ball into the box was half-cleared to the incoming Howell who sliced a snapshot wide from 15 yards.

On 21 minutes Wright again came close as he held the ball up at the edge of the Stags box and managed to turn and thread a low shot through which beat Redmond but clipped the outside of the post.

The Reds continued to ask the questions as Redmond was forced to punch away a Boyd free kick and Hewson's follow-up was blocked.

Redmond was then safely there to grab a dipping Arnison from the left.

However, against the run of play, Mansfield took a 33rd minute lead through Speight.

Todd launched the bal long down the centre, Green helped it to Speight, who cut inside to his left before slotting the calmest of finishes under Taylor.

Workington found their luck out again on 43 minutes when they hit the woodwork for a third time. A long ball in from the right from Boyd picked out an unmarked Arnison who guided an unstoppable sidefooted volley past Redmond only to see it cannon off the crossbar.

And there was more danger from the corner as Hewson crashed in a low shot which Daniel blocked right on the goalline to somehow keep Mansfield's noses in front at the interval.

Roberts sent a 25 yard free kick just wide with the first goal attempt of three second half.

Wright took a tumble in the box on 55 minutes, but the referee saw no shove and played on.

Cowperthwaite did wel to reach the right by-line and then drill a powerful ball cross the centre which McLuckie was inches away from reaching to turn home right in front of goal.

On 61 minutes Stags made their first change with Clements on for Todd.

Two minutes later Cox made a bold double substitution as he took off strike pair Rhead and Green and introduced Hutchinson and Meikle.

Speight was well over with a first time shot from Hutchinson's lay-back.

But the pair combined soon after to make it 2-0 on 67 minutes. Clements found Hutchinson to his right who laid the ball in for Speight to slot home from 12 yards.

Hewson fired wide from 20 yards on 70 minutes as Workington looked for a way back into the tie. And Arnison was too high a minute later.

With 15 minutes left Hewson managed to fire a low free kick through a poor Mansfield wall. But Redmond saw it all the way as he helped it wide for a corner at the second attempt.

Speight wasn't far wide with a half-volley on 77 minutes.

A minute later Rowntree's foul on Meikle saw the first yellow card of the afternoon shown.

Mansfield broke well down the left which ended with Clements curling a disappointing finish wide of the far post from 18 yards.

But Stags could clearly see the finishing post by now with the Reds creating little problem for Redmond.

However, he did have work to do on 82 minutes when sub Mwasile burst into the box to go one on one with the keeper.

Redmond blocked his low finish and, with the keeper on the floor, the lurking Wright couldn't direct the ball into the empty net.

But Redmond's clumsy challenge on Wright with four minutes to go gifted Workington a penalty to needlessly bring the game alive once more.

Mwasile threaded a ball into the far post where Wright tried to retrieve from the by-line with back to goal only to be bundles over by a clumsy, needless Redmond challenge and deposited onto the turf,

Arnison made no mistake from the spot, slamming the penalty high to Redmond's right and it was game on again.

A minute from time the Reds were almost level. Cowperthwaite put the ball in from the right at the far post and found Vaulks with time and space. But he failed to make it count as he allowed Redmond to block his low finish.

The Stags keeper then made two excellent catches in stoppage time as Workington sent the ball long and high in desperation, Mansfield hanging on for their place in the hat.

WORKINGTON: Taylor, Cowperthwaite, Rowntree, May, Bolton, Hewson (Connerton 75), Boyd (Mwasile 66), Vaulks, Wright, Arnison, McLuckie. Subs no used: Brown, Wordsworth, Dixon, Wraighte, Scott.

STAGS: Redmond; Sutton, Dempster, Jones; Todd (Clements 61), Roberts, Howell, Daniel; Speight; Green (Meikle 63), Rhead (Hutchinson 63). Subs not used: Briscoe, Beevers, Stevenson, Wright.

REFEREE: Seb Stocksbridge of Tyne and Wear


No ordinary afternoon as Mansfield negotiate tricky trip to progress in FA Cup
Nottingham Post report by Stevie Roden

AS a couple sat on the concrete-stepped terrace behind the goal, their little wiry poodle sporting a Workington red bow, it was clear this was no ordinary afternoon.


It's not every day an animal is allowed into a ground to watch a professional game unfold but then, Saturday was no ordinary game. It was FA Cup day.

Workington, with a real non-league ground that oozed memories of yesteryear, were out to cause an upset at Borough Park. And all the locals wanted in on it, even the pets.

And against a full-time Mansfield side that had shipped 19 goals in six away league matches, they smelt the chance of an upset. The players, and fans, felt it could the day of the giant-killer.

For Mansfield, there was never going to be anything magical about their day. A four-hour trip each way, nearly 400 miles in total, on an uninviting pitch, it was far from the glamour the competition offers for some, as they took on their Blue Square Bet North opponents from the division below.

But for the Stags to get their day, their chance of being that underdog against a top side, they knew they had to take care of business.

And while some might have felt this had all the makings of an upset, Jake Speight ensured that was not the case as his double put the Stags through into the first round proper and dreaming of their own day to shine.

But in true FA Cup fashion, it did not come easy. Going in a goal to the good, there was no wonder a Stags dignitary on his way to the hospitality room raised a smile as a fan jokingly pointed out the police were waiting for him. Apparently, he stated, there had been a robbery.

Well, not quite. But Workington must have wondered how they were behind after striking the woodwork three times in the opening 45 minutes and seeing an effort cleared off the line. It was the FA Cup, the competition that was meant to shine on the underdog.

In the second half, Speight tucked away a classy move to double the advantage and the game looked dead and buried until the last few minutes, when a rush of blood from Shane Redmond gifted a penalty that was dispatched to make for a nervy end.

Paul Cox sat in the stand afterwards and wasn't prepared to look into the good or bad points. Like he said, it was all about one thing – progressing. So mission accomplished on that front and only a second away victory of the season.

Mansfield made three changes to the side that beat Forest Green 1-0 last weekend and all were forced.

Goalkeeper Liam Mitchell was not allowed to play by parent club Notts County, while captain Adam Murray served a one-match ban for five bookings and Exodus Geohaghon missed out with an ankle injury, as Redmond, Anthony Howell and Luke Jones came in.

Workington's Jonny Wright was the first to find the bar, striking from 20 yards but his effort dipped onto the top of the woodwork and over.

The hosts were at full throttle from the start and midway through the half, Wright turned inside and curled a low shot through the Stags defence, beyond Redmond but thankfully it hit the foot of the post.

Despite the scare, Stags showed their class in front of goal on 33 minutes when a forward ball from Andy Todd was touched inside by Matt Green and it freed Speight, who went past one marker before twisting in-field past another defender and firing into the bottom corner.

But Workington, just before the break, should have been level as Gareth Arnison was picked out on the left side of the box. But his side-footed volley crashed back down off the bar and it was cleared for a corner, from which David Hewson fired a shot from the edge of the box – but Colin Daniel was on the line to clear.

Cox's men took control in the second half as Chris Clements replaced Todd and then Stags made a double change on 63 minutes with Ben Hutchinson and Lindon Miekle coming on for Matt Rhead and Green.

And they made an immediate impact as Clements fed Hutchinson down the right, he galloped on and slotted a quality ball across to split the defence and Speight calmly placed it beyond Taylor.

From there, it looked routine until Workington pulled a goal back with four minutes left through Arnison from the penalty spot.

It made for a tense finish, Redmond having to deny Will Vaulks from close range.

In the end, it was the poodle that went home with its tail between its legs, while Mansfield had got the job, thanks to Speight's seventh and eighth goals of the season.

Saturday was a day when they had it all to lose but they showed character and professionalism.

Now they can look forward to the competition and to enjoy its magic, causing upsets of their own or going on a run to remember.

And in the first round proper, they have a home tie against Evostik South League side Gosport Borough or Slough who fought out a goalless draw yesterday.

One thing is certain in the FA Cup, expect the unexpected. Even a little white dog with its own red bow taking in the action on the terraces behind one of the goals

Match facts: Workington v Mansfield Town
Workington: Taylor, Cowperthwaite, Rowntree, May, Bolton, Boyd (Mwasile,67), Hewson (Connerton, 75), Vaulks, J Wright, Arnison, McLuckie. Subs: Brown, Wordsworth, Dixon, Wraighte, Scott.

Mansfield: Redmond, Todd (Clements, 61), Sutton, Jones, Dempster, Daniel, Roberts, Howell, Speight, Rhead (Hutchinson, 63), Green (Meikle, 63). Subs: Beevers, N Wright, Stevenson, Briscoe.

Referee: Seb Stockbridge (Tyne and Wear)

Goals: Workington 1 – Arnison (pen) 86 mins. Mansfield – 2. Speight, 33 mins and 67 mins


Workington Mansfield

Shots on 7 4

Shots off 6 6

Fouls 5 14

Offsides 1 3

Corners 1 2

Bookings: Workington 1 – Rowntree, foul, 78 mins. Stags – NONE.

Man of the match: Jake Speight. The striker scored two goals to win the tie, both taken with great composure. But more than that, he never stopped working for the cause from the first minute until the last and will have a huge part to play this season for Mansfield


Workington AFC 1
Arnison (pen) 87

Mansfield Town 2
Speight 32, 71


Another harsh football lesson for Reds who were cruelly reminded about the art of goal scoring by Stags' top scorer, Jake Speight, whose clinical finishing was the difference between the sides in a pulsating cup tie.

His two well taken goals, one in each half, came from the only two clear cut opportunities they created while Reds squandered chance after chance with a late converted penalty scant consolation.

Playing the best football does not guarantee a win and Conference Premier outfit, Mansfield, second best for most of the afternoon, will count themselves fortunate to go through at the first attempt. They were outplayed for long periods of the game but were very efficient when it mattered most.

After the horror show at Oxford in their last outing, Reds had redeemed themselves within a very encouraging opening half hour. A fully committed performance with plenty of movement and good link-up play had Mansfield on the back foot but that all important opening goal proved elusive. Then, against the run of play, Town went in front and a difficult proposition became even tougher.

Jake Speight had the game's first serious attempt on goal but his low shot was pushed aside by the diving Aaran Taylor. But most of the goalmouth action was at the Derwent End where Reds were attacking at every opportunity.

A Jonny Wright effort clipped the top of Shane Redmond's cross bar then the former was inches wide with a low shot which had the Town 'keeper beaten. Will Vaulks saw a shot kept out by Redmond's sprawling legs with the 'keeper then saving comfortably Gareth Arnison's shot from distance.

It was all in vain after thirty two minutes, though, with the visitors taking an undeserved lead. Reds could not deal with a ball down the inside right channel and Speight's clever footwork took him clear of James Bolton and Kyle May with a firm low finish leaving Taylor helpless.

The goal curbed Reds early enthusiasm but they finished the half strongly. Arnison's volley hit the cross bar after Mark Boyd's cross and Wright's flick on had created the opportunity then Vaulks saw his goal bound shot cleared off the line by Town's Colin Daniel.

Town came close to doubling their lead soon after the restart via Gary Roberts' free kick only for the ball to drift narrowly wide.

There was a close call from Reds first attack of the second half with Phil McLuckie just failing to connect to Niall Cowperthwaite's excellent cross from the right.

Mansfield effectively killed the game after seventy one minutes when they cashed in on some nervous Reds' defending. Speight, Town's best player by far, broke clear and calmly slotted the ball beyond Taylor.

Still Reds didn't fold and their character shone through until the end.

Gari Rowntree's free kick was scrambled clear by the diving Redmond who then prevented a debut goal for Joe Mwasile keeping out the substitute's low shot.

Redmond then conceded a needless penalty when he bundled Wright to the turf with no apparent danger and the reliable Arnison converted the subsequent spot kick in the eighty seventh minute.

There was still time for the hosts to grab a late equaliser but a gilt edged chance for Vaulks was wasted when he shot straight at Redmond when it looked easier to score. That would have earned the Cumbrians a deserved replay but, instead, they were left to reflect on what might have been.

Workington – Taylor, Cowperthwaite, Rowntree, May, Bolton, Hewson (Connerton), Boyd (Mwasile), Vaulks, Wright J, Arnison, McLuckie. Substitutes – Brown, Wordsworth, Dixon, Wraighte, Scott (not used).

Mansfield Town – Redmond, Todd (Clements), Jones, Dempster, Sutton, Daniel, Roberts, Howell, Speight, Green (Meikle), Rhead (Hutchinson). Substitutes – Briscoe, Beevers, Stevenson, Wright N (not used).

Referee: Mr S Stockbridge (Gateshead)

Attendance: 701


Workington Reds go so close to causing FA Cup upset
Times & Star

Workington Reds 1 Mansfield Town 2: History will forever state Workington Reds were beaten 2-1 by Mansfield Town.

Jonny Wright and Gareth Arniston But that statistic fails to tell even half the story as Darren Edmondson's brave team outplayed and outclassed their higher-ranked opposition.

The true figures that outline Workington's heroics during the final qualifying round of this year's FA Cup are:

•FOUR goal-bound shots Mansfield defenders and goalkeeper stopped on the line;
•THREE times Jonny Wright and Gareth Arnison rattled the woodwork in the first half;
•TWO penalties should have been awarded by referee Seb Stockbridge, but only once did the man in black point to the spot;
•ONE prolific striker in the Mansfield ranks that made the difference.
For large spells, Workington dominated possession, playing some beautiful football.

It was a stark contrast to Mansfield's direct brand of play that saw their midfield redundant.

Town's tactic was obvious from minute one as hoofed balls from back to front were aimed at Jake Speight.

And it worked, as the Stags' top scorer twice slotted past Aaran Taylor.

Speight was the one bright spark Mansfield had, and either side of the break, the in-form talisman pounced to break Workington hearts.

Arnison pulled one back late on with a cool strike from the penalty spot, but Reds couldn't find an equaliser.

Will Vaulks, who was again outstanding in the middle of the park, saw his vicious strike blocked on the line as time ran out.

Wright also had a glorious opportunity, but off balance, skewed wide after Joe Mwasile's shot was parried by Shane Redmond.

Within five minutes of kick off, Arnison was testing Redmond with a long-range effort.

Speight showed his intentions eight minutes later, bringing a stunning save from Taylor.

Holding off Kyle May, and wriggling past Gari Rowntree, Speight let fly from 18 yards, but saw his well-worked strike palmed away as Taylor hurled himself to the right.

Workington regained the advantage, and Wright clipped the woodwork for the first time with a scooped shot from the edge of the box.

He went close again on 20 minutes, but after holding off two defenders, brushed the post.

Vaulks was next to see his fierce shot denied on the line from Mark Boyd's free kick.

Against the run of play, Speight opened the scoring with neat strike, before a hectic end to the half saw Arnison's volley crash back off the cross bar, and Vaulks's driven effort stopped on the line by Junior Daniel.

After the restart, it was more of the same with Workington continuing to press, but it was the visitors who had a chance to double the lead.

Gary Roberts's free kick went over the wall, but wide of the post with Taylor scrambling across his line. In Niall Cowperthwaite, Reds have a marauding full back capable of producing a dangerous cross, and the defender made a great run down the right on 60 minutes.

Unfortunately, his low centre evaded the on rushing Phil McLuckie.

Clearly stunned, Mansfield boss Paul Cox made a hat-trick of substitutions, and four minutes later, Mansfield made it 2-0.

Speight controlled a long ball by sub Ben Hutchinson, and netted past Taylor.

Workington refused to lie down, and should have been given a penalty after Wright was bundled to the ground inside the penalty box.

The deficit should have been reduced eight minutes from time, but substitute Msawile's shot was saved after bursting into the box, and Wright couldn't apply the finish into an empty net.

The comeback looked on after 86 minutes when Wright was again sent flying in the box.

This time, referee Stockbridge gave the decision, and Arnison sent Redmond the wrong way.

With one last throw of the dice, Vaulks found himself unmarked at the back post, but shot straight at Redmond, who denied the young midfielder a deserved equaliser.

Workington Reds: Taylor, Cowperthwaite, Rowntree, May, Bolton, Hewson (Connterton 75), Boyd (Mwasile 66), Vaulks, Wright, Arnison, McLuckie. Subs (not used): Brown, Wordsworth, Dixon, Wraighte, Scott.

Crowd: 721 (comment by Martin - the crowd was 701, as clarified by the media coordinator to me by email)

Referee: Seb Stockbridge

Star man: Jonny Wright was a constant handful for the Mansfield defence, and deserved to score. Twice hitting the woodwork, he was instrumental in everything good about Workington's attack



Latest | October 2012